1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Becoming Romo Friendly

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    When they released Terrell Owens it was said that we were going to become Romo Friendly. To some degree, I agree with them, although I did not like the move. It allowed Romo to spread the ball around more, but it also made him less effective. What they didn't do was improve the running game or give him a better offensive line. They didn't improve the defense either.

So what do people think is the answer then? Norv Turner?

Norv Turner gets credit in San Diego that he does not deserve. Very similar to Garrett. They both inherited high ranking offenses with elite quarterbacks. Both have also done nothing with them and have let their running games go by the way side.

If we hire Turner its even more evidence that Jerry is incompetent.

What happened to Phillip Rivers? The same thing that is happening to Tony Romo. Without support of a running game the emphasis is placed solely on them. When receivers don't get open, it becomes a fools gambit. When your defense does less than it normally does, you start losing more games. San Diego is the mirror image of Dallas.

You want to help Romo? You're going to have to get him coaching help that will actually help him.

It's not easy to get a good offensive or defensive coordinator. Why? Because generally speaking one of the following will be true

A) Good coordinators are often looked at to become Head Coaches
    B) Good coordinators are often already under contract at the coordinator position

So what can you do?

You basically have to look at people who get fired due to their circumstances. Rob Ryan for instance is going to get picked up as a defensive coordinator somewhere, and my guess is he will excel there, much like Wade Phillips.

Many times when coaches are fired, their staffs are let go as well, so that the new coach can bring in his people. This is where you can find a lot of good coaches.

Marty Mornhinweg would be an interesting choice to me.
    Rick Dennison but it would probably take HC to get him.
    Kevin Gilbride, also would probably need an HC designator.
    Curtis Modkins, would be an interesting choice

then you also have to look at college football as well.

The fact is we did NONE of that when we hired Garrett. We just handed this guy the reigns, despite NO experience to speak of.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,760 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I don't think it's very complicated. Just add NFL caliber talent along the OL. Draft a back to replace Felix, since he figures to move on this year.

Offense fixed and I can't think of anything more Romo friendly.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    This.........
  4. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    It's not just fixing the offense. Romo and the offense can put up points, but if we can't stop anyone... it's fruitless.

I do agree that we need to fix the offensive line. It should have been the priority last year. We're going to need 4 new starters on the offensive line next year. That's simply a fact. Anyone who says otherwise is a shill for the status quo.

I think Felix would be fine if we had a legit offensive line, but that is neither here nor there.

Step 1 - Fix the offensive line
    Step 2 - Go 4-3, and thus we would need to alter our front seven personnel to correspond with the shift. I'd be in favor of trading Ware to facilitate the change, or we could move him to defensive end, and focus on getting 3 players to play along with him.
  5. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Warmack and FA C would do us just fine... that and giving Hanna more opportunities and not not having franchise lows in rushing attempts will help Romo immensely.
  6. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I can't expect to fix it all in one offseason. Certainly not when we're in such outstanding cap shape courtesy of Jerry and Stephen Jones. We won't even be able to fix the OL in one offseason but we can start.

If I'm running the team, I do what I can, if I can, to make enough room to sign one big FA OL. I prefer Levitre. I cross my fingers that I can find value in the first 4 rounds of the draft to add two more and under no circumstances would Tony Romo walk to the line of scrimmage to kickoff the 2013 season with Phil Costa under center. I'd be willing to play Bernadeau there for a year if I had to since there aren't really any decent options at C in free agency.

But you're right. A stingy defense would be Romo friendly too. I just think the OL is a bigger priority. That can actually get the man carted off the field and his career cut short.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,103 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Romo friendly means idiot-free, which means dump Garrett.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    No crap. You want to be friendly to Romo? Save him from breaking a bone every year.
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,470 Messages
    2,324 Likes Received
    I would add to that the responsibility of a clued in OC to understand the circumstances that causes Romo to press and fail and try and avoid those with a string running game and competent receivers that will go get the ball.

Because Romo is a vicinity passer and not a target passer like Aikman or Rodgers, the plays have to be designed to get max separation or things like interceptions and these verkocteh sailing passes and behindies and such occur.
  11. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I think an effective running game you can rely on would do wonders for these perceptions of play calling issues. It'd also do wonders for the QB, since he wouldn't feel he has the weight of the team on his shoulders.

I try to imagine the great Norv Turner without that OL in the 90's. I tend to think he and Aikman would have the same issues.
  12. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,470 Messages
    2,324 Likes Received
    I agree, RS. I'm certain that shocks both of us.

But then it comes back to what we have discussed ad naseum.

Does the man with the plan, who tends to load up on one position when he gets motivated to make changes, see the offensive line as a must?

I am in favor of running it down their throats. The success of both RG III and the kid from Seattle was predicated on the fact that both teams could run the ball well. Not taking away anything from them and their success.

But it makes a huge difference when you control the ball and the clock and stay away from dangerous situations like looking up at 14 points and thinking that's okay.
  13. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Your guess is as good as mine as to what Jerry is thinking. You'd think a former o-lineman would understand how critical it is but I've long since given up on trying to understand his logic.

I hope he does. Otherwise we'll be right back here next year in the same situation.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    these are fixes that most would agree with

but, in season, when these fixes were not possible, was it too much to ask the OC to adapt his offense to what opposing defenses were doing? screens, quick slants, short routes?

the problems you outline are clearly huge issues and should be fixed but the OC is part of the problem

JMO
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,305 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    No, neither one of them got elite QB's to work with.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    you are absolutely correct

any place Norv's offense has been truly sccessful, they have had a dominant run game

90's cowboys
    49ers (with alex smith but frank gore at RB)
    chargers (only while tomlinson was there)
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,576 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Which was my assumption when jerry uttered those words. Hasn't done much making this team Romo friendly. Releasing #81 was team friendly.
  18. Sickwitit

Sickwitit Member

834 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought we were supposed to "fix" the OL in FA last year. With our cap in such bad shape i dont see it happening this year.
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received

I happen to agree, fix the o-line and Romo will have a career year.
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,912 Likes Received
    Bernado and Livings were stop gaps, regardless of what the team said.

Stud OL are too expensive to get in free agency or they are franchised by their current team, the only way to properly build an OL is through the draft.

Problem for us is that with the exception of Tyron Smith, we have sucked at drafting OL.