1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beginning of the decline for Ware?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by wick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I still think Ware is a very good player, but he's either hurt and not saying or he's starting to show the effects of aging. He gets doubled a lot, so not getting pressure on those plays isn't a huge indicator for me. What is an indicator, though, is that he isn't beating one-on-one blocking with his speed rush around the corner nearly as much as he used to. You can see that he doesn't seem to trust this move as much because he tries to bull rush to a much greater degree than I can ever remember, but he's not powerful enough for this to be a go-to strategy.

As a result, our pass rush has really tapered off because we don't have anyone else who is a good pure rusher. That needs to be a top priority after the season.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I doubt it'll happen because our GM is a fraud, but we need to approach the offseason like Ware is finished as an impact player. Not that he is, but that needs to be the approach. We absolutely must find a top pass rusher.
  3. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I think he has picked up other duties with the injuries to Carter and Lee. He is only 30 y/o, so I doubt he is in decline just yet.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,564 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    He's been really...disappointing this season, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if he has maybe next season and then retires. He's already a HOFer.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    He's not having his best season, that's for sure. Great players have bad seasons too though. Doesn't mean he's done

Does he look top heavy to some? Like he's gotten a little too big? I don't know, he doesn't seem nearly as explosive as usual
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Retire?! :laugh2:
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    Ware's been battling hamstring and neck stingers all season...

He went out briefly last night after re-aggravting the neck stinger...
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,462 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    true, he needs more help on the dline. but he has disappeared too much this year vs inferior olines. every great player gets double teamed so lets not use that excuse.
  9. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,586 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same about being injured. It seemed like he was on the sideline alot on 3rd down.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I doubt he retires but he does appear to be in decline. Either that or the level of athleticism in the NFL has surpassed his; he seems to miss more open field tackles (this season) than I can remember.

Regardless, I have been preaching that the Cowboys should find his replacement (eventual successor) for two years. I hope they address pass rusher in the 1st round this year if they do not go stud d-lineman instead.
  11. SDCowboy85

15,564 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    He's already a HOFer and he's got nagging neck issues. If he's starting to decline also, yes, retire.
  12. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I thought it needed to be this past off season. Jerry won't see it that way, of course. We are almost never proactive about addressing needs and generally wait a season or two after weakening before taking measures to stop the bleeding.
  13. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,134 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Ware hasneck problems that he has been plagued with. I was concerned with it at beginning of season.
  14. SDCowboy85

15,564 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Could be the latter. I see a young player like Von Miller in Denver and remember that used to be Ware cutting through lines like nothing and blowing up the QB. That just isn't Ware anymore. Now if Ware gets to the QB, he just rolls off him or whiffs.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Right. Because the GM has no foresight. He needs to see the problem on the field for a while before he gets it.

It'll be the same thing with Romo. We'll get all we can out of him and then expect the QB fairy to drop a franchise talent in our laps when he can't go anymore.

Ya know, like a good GM would.
  16. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,351 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    He's had a great run, but I think that he's been on the down-slide for a couple of years now.
  17. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

926 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    the door has almost closed for Ware and the team has done a disservice to him by not winning any SBs.
  18. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I thought Ware played awfully last night, and if you asked him, I bet he would say the same thing.

But everyone has a night like that. He's had some excellent ones this year and last, and we've written the story of his decline before. I don't think we'll really see it for another 3 or 4 years. Ware will be fine.
  19. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Like witten and romo when ware is hurting he doesn't talk about it and just keeps playing.

Just like Ratliff last year. Rat was really hurt last year down the stretch and gutted it out and the fans responded by saying he sucks and is old.

Ware had a stinger last night which is something that has popped up on him in the last few years.

So when he is gutting it out because it means o much to him, Te usual suspects shouldn't turn that into he can't play anymore either.

Yes we need more pass rushers though, but then again we have for almost all of wares career, so it's not much different.

This applies to Austin who everyone bags on all the time also. He has had, hamstring, back and other injuries this year and he is fighting through it, while being told he sucks and on his way to 1000 yard season.
  20. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    As an organization, I wish we had a rule to not extend or sign players over 30 even if we have feel the short term impact. QB is the only exception I could think off and that too not extending QB after 33 years.
    I love Ware but if we do not make playoffs this year, if anyone offers 2 1st round draft picks, I will trade him. Could you used for building OL/DL with 21 year olds for next few years.