1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Beginning of the decline for Ware?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by wick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    Man, I hope you guys don't run farms or anything. I'd be scared to be an animal there. You guys might reach for the rifle every time I tripped on a rock. ;)
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,564 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  3. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,489 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Ware had a down game for sure. What player hasn't? Let's not panic...
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    Ware is a very good player, but he is vastly overrated. Always has been. He's benefitted at times by being the ONLY player on this defense worth a crap other than Ratliff.

He's not in the same class as Charles Haley or Harvey Martin as a pass rusher. He's not as good against the run as even Anthony Spencer.

If I had to compare him in ability to a former player, it would be Too Tall Jones (different but similar impact).

Ware makes impactful plays, but he also disappears for entire halves or longer. He's not an all-day relentless player like the true greats of the game.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    upgrade the DL and watch ware go back to being a great player
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    Ware is not overrated. That is just ridiculous.
  7. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,214 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Ware's decline is just like the decline of Witten. Way overblown.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,108 Messages
    4,579 Likes Received
    Did some of you actually watch the game last night? Admittedly he is vulnerable a little to actually running right at him but that's been true for years and it happens to be a good strategy for many great pass rushers. He still plays the run very well.

They were running play action at him much of the night and then doubling him. You have to slow your rush when they fake a run at you. Then they doubled him and that gave Foles time to throw. Reid had a pretty dang good game plan. I didn't know he was injured as well. The Eagles were also holding a lot last nite and while I'm hesitant it did look a little lopsided in favor of the Eagles.

Unless he stays injured he should stay on pace to be the all time sack leader. The hyperbole around here has reached epic proportions. He does need some help. Having Lee and Carter back to blitz, safeties that allow blitzing, and better play from the rest of the DL should help. I'm happy with Butler and Spencer. I'd like another rushing OLB though.
  9. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I agree with part of what you're saying - the hyperbole is way out of whack, and Ware is still and will continue to be a fantastic player.

He still played really, really poorly last night. He took bad angles, allowed himself to get blocked out of plays and missed on tackles as the only defender on a few occasions. It's most surprising because he has historically been OK keeping contain and holding up his rush when he sees the run developing, and he didn't do that effectively last night.

Again, no reason to freak out, because every player has an off night, but also no reason to act like last night wasn't bad.
  10. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Every time the other team does play action, or any run fake, Ware has to pause to respect that, or make sure the back does not have the ball.

Then he can pursue the QB, but only then.

Do you not think the other team is doing many things to try and disrupt Ware?

Ware is not too old, he is not on the downside, he is not going to retire.

When he does, all other teams will be thrilled.
  11. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This.

Ridiculous notion.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    The problem I see is that before the season starts some people go out and predict that Ware will have 25 to 30 sacks. When he doesn't achieve that, then he somehow sucks.
  13. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,564 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    Who here said Ware sucks?
  14. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    D Ware has 10 sacks this year, and there are precisely 7 guys in the entire NFL this year right now with double digits. Did Ware make some uncharacteristically bad plays last night? Yes.

Is he on the decline in any way whatsoever? No.

I swear, some people just don't understand this game at all. Every team we play runs their offense dictated by 94 being on the field. You know how teams don't throw it deep against us a bunch of times every game? That's because of D Ware.

If every team tried to throw deep constantly and take long drops with slow developing routes against us D Ware would have 30 sacks every year. That's how dominant of a rusher he is.
  15. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,136 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Completely agree. First priority, than a tackle to replace Doug your Free to kill my Qb.
  16. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do a quick search for "Ware" and "disappears"....and I'm guessing you'll find plenty of candidates.
  17. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    It was addressed, with franchising of Spencer, the drafting of Wilbur, and the expected progression of Butler. Now you can definitely make the arguement that is wasn't addressed adequately, but the position was addressed.
  18. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    If people think Ware is as good now as he's ever been, I simply don't know what to say. A pass rusher at 30 is not going to be the same guy he was at 25. Nobody is saying Ware sucks, but if he was an A+ pass rusher three years ago, he's probably an A- now. Still the cornerstone of your rush, but you need to be grooming the next guy now.
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    So your upset with Jerry, that he doesn't have a franchise QB already in place, learning behind Romo. I'm curious to know how many teams have this luxury?
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,108 Messages
    4,579 Likes Received
    I'm saying he did not have a bad night. Teams choose to neutralize a player as best they can and teams have to take advantage of that. Same is true when teams try to take away the run yada.

You people act like he's out there by himself. He needs pressure elsewhere or they are going to do their best to take him out of the game as much as possible. The defense is shackled right now and it shows. Our safeties and ILBs are killing the defense. The DL also got used last night some although the poor ILB play made them look worse.

If the offense can overcome the D then we'll be in games. That's assuming we don't make too many mistakes or turn the ball over as well as give up ST big plays. This team is on the razor's edge and the only reason we are in games anyway is Romo.

Ware is acknowledged as perhaps the best defensive player in the league and he's in the conversation for the best all time. How that gets turned into Ware is on the decline speaks volumes.