1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Biased NFL Scheduling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ravidubey, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I've posted this elsewhere, but I think it deserves notice. It's an advantage to be playing at home in decisive final regular season games with the playoffs on the line. If you're going to schedule divisional games to end the season, then at least flip home and away games for teams or don't do it at all.

NY Giants
    2007 NE Patriots
    2008 @Minnesota
    2009 @Minnesota
    2010 @Washington
    2011 Dallas
    2012 Philadelphia
    Home Finals: 3/6 overall 2/3 divisional

Philadelphia
    2007 Buffalo
    2008 Dallas
    2009 @Dallas
    2010 Dallas
    2011 Washington
    2012 @NY Giants
    Home Finals: 4/6 overall 3/5 divisional

Washington
    2007 Dallas
    2008 @SF
    2009 @Chargers
    2010 Giants
    2011 @Philadelphia
    2012 Dallas
    Home Finals: 3/6 overall 3/4 divisional

Check this out... how can this be called anything but a scheduling bias?

Dallas
    2007 @Washington
    2008 @Philadelphia
    2009 Philadelphia
    2010 @Philadelphia
    2011 @New York
    2012 @Washington
    Home Finals: 1/6 overall 1/6 divisional

WTH? I thought Tags was long gone.
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,178 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    We just played five home games in the last six games. Huh?
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    This is ENTIRELY based on ratings and dollars. Some might see an anti-Cowboys agenda, but really its just the NFL cashing in on Dallas' popularity.
  4. phildominator

phildominator Member

685 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If we play Week 17 vs the Giants in Arlington, check that one up to anti-Cowboys conspiracy as well.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,612 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    16 teams can possibly face the same problem. It is what it is and I don't think there is a conspiracy, it is just the way it worked out.

We did just play 5 out of 6 at home late in the season, that is an advantage.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,616 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I could care less about the NFL's intentions when they make these decisions, it's the results that bother me.
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,405 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Im sure the competition committee will get right on this. :)
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    fair enough...I'm not saying I agree with the way it has played out, just that I don't think it should be attributed to a conspiracy.
  9. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    It's clearly intentional to cash in on the Cowboys' popularity. But because they keep making the same decision it's hurt the franchise over time.

IMO the game and fairness needs to come first.

Jerry Jones loves pimping his team, but he needs to stand up for them.
  10. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

7,000 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    have you seen the home record for Cowboys since they moved to Arlington...
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Counting divisional games is useless.

They all are now.

Not to mention a divisional game is a chance to take the division.
  12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,586 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    The Cowboys and every other team have 15 opportunities to make the last game irrelevant.
  13. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,168 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    We just played 5 out of 6 at home, and we have no home field advantage at all, I prefer playing on the road these days.
  14. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Thinking the league is against your team is the dumbest thing I've heard. Someone said that to me in the NHL playoffs too, what a joke. Goddell just wants all teams competitive and lucrative, he and no league officials have no favorites, just greed.
  15. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I prefer not to ignore 5 out of 6 games being played on the road at divisional opponents. 5 of those 6 games had or will have playoff consequences (though the 2007 game ended up only important for Washington) and in each of the games already played the home team won. Every. One.

The scheduling of the divisional games at the end is absolutely intentional. That they force the Cowboys to visit in that situation over 80% of the time is the bias.
  16. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Isn't the schedule decided by a computer program?
  17. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Any why would they do that Mr.Conspiracy?
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Five of our last seven at home and we're getting screwed? :confused:

We already played this team at home on Thanksgiving on a short week. If either team had a scheduling advantage this year, it was us.
  19. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Partly. The NFL wants to place most of its marquee matchups at the end of the year and schedule as competitive a playoff-affecting a Sunday Night schedule as possible.

They also began scheduling divisional games at the end of every season, if not the last game then close to the end. Every division has a winner, and most divisions are contested. This creates drama and revenue.

It's not random, divisional games are intentionally scheduled to end the year if at all possible.

All good.
    Holy crap that was a turd-like thing to post. There is no conspiracy, it's simple reality. 5 out of 6 heavily contested games with the playoffs on the line have been scheduled with Dallas as the visiting team.

They were scheduled to create drama and in Dallas' case for money. It needs to stop as it puts Dallas at a competitive disadvantage. Every road team in that situation lost.

If a team is on the road in a week 17 divisional game, to be fair they need to be at home the following season in the same or similar game or don't schedule divisional games in the final week.

Dallas started with several games on the road, including the first two games. That had a lot to do with Dallas starting 3-5. There is no advantage within a single season overall. Every team will have hard years and every team will have easy years. That will even out.

But this particular scheduling disadvantage has a real impact-- in 3.5 of the 6 games the loser would miss the playoffs entirely (the .5 being Washington in 2007).

From 2007-2011 with playoff seeding on the line in the final game every NFC East road team lost. It's literally like a playoff road game. Except scheduled in advance, not randomly, and 80% of the time not in Dallas' favor.

Being on the road is bad enough. Being on the road against the team you are competing against definitively for a playoff spot is brutal.

If this game happens three weeks ago, it's not the same.
  20. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    There is no league agenda against the Dallas Cowboys. The league wants to make money, and there is NOTHING on earth they would like better than for Dallas to be great again. Think of all the fair-weather fans who would suddenly gobble up merchandise. Dallas fans sound stupid when they whine about bias. It's like the Yankees complaining that MLB is out to get them. It's non-sensical. It's confirmation bias at work. You remember the evidence that supports your conspiracy theory, and forget the evidence that doesn't.