1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Biden predicts early crisis will test Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JRid21, Oct 20, 2008.

1. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/20/biden-predicts-early-crisis-will-test-obama/

SEATTLE (CNN) — Joe Biden told Democratic fundraisers Sunday night that there is no doubt in his mind a crisis will occur during Barack Obama's first six months in office that will test his mettle and force him to make unpopular decisions.
    "Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy," said Biden to a roomful of donors. "The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America."
    "Remember I said it standing here, if you don't remember anything else I said," Biden continued. "Watch, we're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.
    "I promise you it will occur. As a student of history and having served with seven presidents, I guarantee you it's going happen. I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate."
    The Delaware senator spoke at two Seattle fundraises Sunday night, expected to bring in $1 million for the campaign. Biden told the supporters that when Obama will need them to stand with the administration on the difficult calls — not financially, but by using their influence within their communities to convince others that the right decisions are being made.
    "I promise you, you all are going to be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls, why is the polling so down, why is this thing so tough?' We're going have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years," said Biden. "I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."

Telling the crowd to "gird their loins" for a bumpy beginning to the next presidential term, Biden said it wouldn't be initially apparent that the correct decisions are being made because "they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."
    Fundraisers are generally closed to the media's cameras, though print journalists are usually allowed in. Biden appeared to forget Sunday night's fundraiser wasn't closed to reporters, saying, "I probably shouldn't have said all this because it dawned on me that the press is here." Moments later, he ended his remarks.

Thoughts?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    In other words our promises do not mean jack because they will be changed after I take office. 95% of Americans getting tax breaks? Yeah when pigs with lipstick fly.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,957 Messages
    1,847 Likes Received
    biden said that about "i probably shouldn't have said this because the press is here"?

obama = very popular.

what does that make him according to biden?
  4. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,414 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    biden predicts WWIII?
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As Commentary's Jennifer Rubin notes, this adds up to a pretty good argument for electing a president who is experienced and tough--i.e., John McCain. "This is material for an ad that's a lot more credible than Hillary Clinton's '3 a.m.' ad," observes Rubin. "That one came from his arguably frantic opponent–this one is from his running mate."
  6. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is this guy off his rocker?

I'm almost ashamed to be from Delaware at this point :banghead:.
  7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow! Zone Supporter

9,472 Messages
    760 Likes Received
    Sounds like a pretty safe bet. It's not like the last 6 months have been a picnic and it'd be stupid think the next 6 months wouldn't be tough.
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It doesn't sound like he's talking about problems as usual though. Biden's comments almost sound like a conspiracy theory, that foreign powers will test the strength of the U.S. once a new leader is appointed, in search of a weakness. Very odd.
  9. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This almost sounds like a conservative talking point: Obama will be perceived as weak by our enemies and therefore they will likely be emboldened to test his resolve. Wow.
  10. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know... It sounds like he thinks HE's still running for President.
  11. Trouble

Trouble New Member

169 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's obvious that the "Hair Club for Men" punctured Biden's brain while installing his hair plugs.

On Capital Hill they dont call him Joe "Chia Pet" Biden for nothing.

:starspin
  12. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,424 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dude...read further into his comments and they get spooky. Almost sounds like he's anticipating their admin doing something so unpopular that dissent will need to be supressed.
  14. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I predict a crisis too if Obama gets elected.
  15. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,926 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    And this guy's a 'heartbeat' away,too???
  16. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yup. You don't hear much about that, do ya?
  17. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Those hairplugs turned his brain into swiss cheese.
  18. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

4,500 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Interesting comments... but something could happen globally which has nothing to do with Obama, but would fit Biden's criteria... For example, suppose the recent crisis in Georgia occurred in April 2009, instead of 2 months ago. That could easily be interpreted as "Russia is testing Obama" when it was really just something that was going to happen anyway. (Did that makes sense?)

Maybe Biden is thinking of an Israel-Iran showdown of some sort...
    I don't think the Hair Club for men does plugs. I think that for all their fancy-shmancy terminology like "the hair club system" that all they really do is give men a weave, which is another word for "toupee that gets sewn in with your other hair".

Of course the fact that I know this speaks volumes about me :D :D
  19. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Couple that with the fact that biden Himself doesn't think Obama is up for the job and this is pretty damning for Obama.

If I were McCain I would put those two things back to back in an ad.
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow! Zone Supporter

9,472 Messages
    760 Likes Received
    I read it differently I guess. It sounds to me like he's expecting something will happen that will test him, but I don't get the vibe that he thinks it will ONLY happen to test him.