1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

'Big Bang' actually 'Big Chill,' new theory says

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jobberone, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,955 Messages
    3,536 Likes Received
    How did the universe begin? The Big Bang is traditionally envisioned as the moment when an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward, expanding in three spatial directions and gradually cooling down as it did so. Now, a team of physicists says the Big Bang should be modeled as a phase change: the moment when an amorphous, formless universe analogous to liquid water cooled and suddenly crystallized to form four-dimensional space-time, analogous to ice.
    In the new study, lead author James Quach and colleagues at the University of Melbourne in Australia say the hypothesis can be tested by looking for defects that would have formed in the structure of space-time when the universe[IMG] crystallized. The universe is currently about 13.7 billion years old.
    "Think of the early universe as being like a liquid," Quach said in a statement. "Then as the universe cools, it 'crystallises' into the three spatial and one time dimension that we see today. Theorized this way, as the universe cools, we would expect that cracks should form, similar to the way cracks are formed when water freezes into ice[IMG]."
  2. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,731 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Trying to believe that "an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward" ... and formed the universe, the sun and moon, the earth and life itself as we know it, ... is like trying to believe if you threw 1,000 scrabble board games into the air they would land and form the Webster's dictionary.
  3. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think you left out a few steps in between the sudden burst and life itself.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,494 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    So does science, but then it's all about theories and hypothesis.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,909 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    True story
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,168 Messages
    2,301 Likes Received
    Warning guys do not get into religion
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whoa, you just blew my mind.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,861 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    One of the most fascinating aspects of metaphorical descriptions such as the Big Bang or the Big Chill is when the metaphor becomes inseparable from the theory.

We often use metaphor as an aid to understanding. We draw comparisons between a process that is commonly understood (the metaphor) and a process that isn't so commonly understood (what we're seeking to understand). However, in the end, the goal is to understand the latter process without the aid of the former process (the metaphor).

However, in the realm of cosmology and particle physics, we're dealing with processes that nobody on this planet understands completely. Consequently, the metaphor are always getting conflated with the process we're seeking to understand.

In the realm of cosmology and particle physics especially, there haven't been any substantial paradigmatic breakthroughs in a very long time. (And before anyone mentions it, I would point out that Higgs-Boson wasn't paradigm shattering. It was a long-awaited confirmation of what we already suspected was true.)

It's highly possibly that we haven't had any breakthroughs because we've reached the limits of that which our mind can append linear cause-and-effect relationships to. That's why we keep recycling metaphors. It's the same reason you can't have a conversation with your dog about quantum mechanics.

Everyone it privy to the same observational data. They're just structuring it differently.
  9. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gravity is a theory so feel free to jump out of any airplane at any time to test it.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I hear ya. When Roofus starts in on quantum mechanics, my brain just shuts off.
  11. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,236 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Gravity doesn't exist, the earth sucks :D
  12. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Speaking of quant, there was a great program the other day on Science demonstrating a particle acting as both a particle and wave at the same time. Pretty fascinating, despite me trying to comprehend it through West Nile.

EDIT: I wonder more if it isn't we can't comprehend so far as we can't muster the energies nor accept the costs of further testing to provide inspiration to new theories. I can only imagine the heights of discovery we'll explore once we start figuring out how to test that dark stuff 'em old scientific edumacated keeps yacking about.
  13. ScipioCowboy

14,861 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,655 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    And thank you for playing "Really Bad Analogies!" Tell him what he's won, Joe!
  15. ScipioCowboy

14,861 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    That's not just a clash of metaphor. That's a breakdown of reality as we understand it.

:laugh1:
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,168 Messages
    2,301 Likes Received
    I don't need to escape anything I walk through the front door. :cool:
  17. WV Cowboy

10,731 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    It's a perfect analogy, ... just as believable.

As a matter of fact, if I were giving odds, I would go with the Scrabble Boards.

:laugh2:
  18. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,194 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Or they made the whole thing up. We would never know. I am not saying I don't agree with the statements. I just find it funny that scientist can tell people with fair certainty what happened billions of years ago while many common things today go unexplained. They can be bold in their findings because no one can go back in time and check it.
  19. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,407 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    Its a theory that is tested and shown to be true on a daily basis. It can be observed. Butt, of course, some want to still call it a theory.
  20. WV Cowboy

10,731 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Because they get more funding for more research if they push the findings others want them to find.