1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now

Scientists working on NASA's six-wheeled rover on Mars have a problem. But it's a good problem.

They have some exciting new results from one of the rover's instruments. On the one hand, they'd like to tell everybody what they found, but on the other, they have to wait because they want to make sure their results are not just some fluke or error in their instrument.

It's a bind scientists frequently find themselves in, because by their nature, scientists like to share their results. At the same time, they're cautious because no one likes to make a big announcement and then have to say "never mind."

The exciting results are coming from an instrument in the rover called SAM. "We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says during my visit last week to his office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. That's where data from SAM first arrive on Earth. "The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," says Grotzinger.

SAM is a kind of miniature chemistry lab. Put a sample of Martian soil or rock or even air inside SAM, and it will tell you what the sample is made of.

Complete Story
  2. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    What did they find? :nervous:
  3. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,375 Messages
    160 Likes Received

John Carter
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
  5. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,375 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    I think it is, radiation is safe for humans on Mars.
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,788 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    If there are no details, there is no "big news" ..

#reality
  7. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I can't remember, who was the guy that they send to moon in that episode. Tom Cruise?
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,843 Messages
    312 Likes Received
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Such a tease. They found something "thats going to be in the history books" but we won't tell you what it is yet.

I'll guess the two obvious: Water or a microorganism
  10. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,455 Messages
    567 Likes Received
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
  12. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    :) Yep.
  13. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,236 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    A Walmart with more than two checkout lines open.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You couldn't have been more wrong. ;)

Curiosity found plastic on the Mars. Most people will read that sentence and think "trash" on Mars, but it doesn't mean trash. It means some form of life must have existed on Mars at some point!

Edit: Reading what I wrote may have came off wrong. Not life that created the plastic. The plastic formed using petrochemicals. (read, crude oil)
  16. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Personally I think it looks like Curiosity spent some time at mardis gras.
  17. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The found a place where Jason Garrett's offense works
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,788 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    I see the logic of my statement exceeded your understanding so I will explain in more detail.

If I claim today, "The Cowboys won the Super Bowl!" it is not big news as it has not happened. If in 20 years, the Cowboys win a Super Bowl, I cannot come back and say, "See? I told you so!"

Never did I doubt there was news forthcoming of some kind. My statement was to yet again rail against news releases about "big news" when there is no big news as that time. Sure, there may be big news in the future, a month from now or maybe even tomorrow. But making an announcement of "big news" without any details whatsoever is nothing more than hyperbole.

#reality
  19. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This news will not be that big. Probably just found traces of carbon are something minimal. I think the news came from analysis of some dirt so it can't be that mind blowing.
  20. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,986 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    Finding plastic is actually very big news. At the very least, crude oil formed these beads, most likely from some kind of organic material. Crude oil can only be made from life, that we know of anyways.