1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bill Parcells: (Lockout) “It looks like there could be a little blood in both corners

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 1, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,045 Messages
    3,977 Likes Received
    NFL Lockout News: Bill Parcells Believes “It looks like there could be a little blood in both corners before this is over.”

June 1, 2011 – 7:00 am by Steven Cuce

Bill Parcells may not be coaching any longer, but this NFL legend still has the attention of many around the NFL circle. Parcells has been through three labor strikes during his coaching career which began in 1964 and ended in 2006 as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He believes this time around that the NFL lockout may be a little more hostile with the players learning from their past mistakes.

Bill Parcells joined ESPN 101 in St.Louis withZach and The Coach (Rick Venturi) to discuss the advice he would give to the players and owners during the lockout, his strategy of getting his team ready if the lockout were to be lifted, his evaluation of Steve Spagnuolo in his first two seasons with the Rams, the most important attribute he looks for in players when draftingand how much longer he would have coached if the Cowboys didn’t lose that 2007 playoff game to the Seattle Seahawks on Tony Romo’s botched snap on a potential game winning field goal.

Read the rest: http://sportsradiointerviews.com/20...here-could-be-a-little-blood-in-both-corners/

Listen to Bill Parcells on ESPN 101 in St.Louis
  2. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The soundbite is nice, but BP offered little of substance in discussing the negotiations.

I did find the following interesting, however:

Can BP really be criticized for taking arguably the best LT in the game ahead of Matt Ryan? It wasn't just the safer pick. History has shown it to be a great pick as well.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,808 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Same as his last two years as the Cowboys coach.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,686 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    Of course. Ryan is one of the best young QBs in the game, and the Falcons are in good shape because they have that position taken care of. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are destined to flop on the shore until they find one themselves. Henne isn't ever going to cut it.

Quarterback is still by far the most important position in the game, and when you have a chance to get one, you better not pass it up.
  5. WoodysGirl

65,045 Messages
    3,977 Likes Received
    Why would he know anything about the negotiations? He's not in the league anymore. I didn't mean to suggest he knew anything about the negotiations. I just thought his opinion was interesting.

Yes he's been criticized, because they passed up Matt Ryan and somebody else and they're still searching for a QB.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,818 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    In the interest of history:

7. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Please don't take my comments as a criticism of you for having posted the piece. I'm happy to see any relevant pieces posted. I'm just criticising Parcells for not offering up something of greater substance.
  8. WoodysGirl

65,045 Messages
    3,977 Likes Received
    Oh I didn't think you were criticizing me, personally.

I didn't mean to imply he knew anything of substance re: the negotiations. I thought the original headline was unclear on what he was talking about. I thought adding lockout to the thread title would clear it up.
  9. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    We have the benefit of hindsight in knowing how Ryan turned out. Obviously, BP's circumstances were different. Aside from Mayock, I don't remember anyone pounding the table saying that this kid was a sure thing. Long was the safer pick. And, once more with the benefit of hindsight, he turned out to be a great one.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,294 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    I think pretty much everybody thought Miami should have taken Ryan that year, but that Long would be an excellent LT in his own right. You still should take the QB if he's considered a franchise qb and Ryan was.
  12. Chocolate Lab

33,686 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    :confused:

You can say that about everyone in every draft.

This isn't some Tom Brady hindsight where every team passed on him multiple times and he wildly exceeded everyone's expectations... Ryan was the #3 overall pick and was considered the #1 QB prospect in the draft. He wasn't considered a reach at that point at all.

Besides, GMs and Football Czars get paid millions of dollars to make those decisions in real time. They should do much better than us laymen.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Yeah Ryan was mostly considered to be the best QB of that draft- but he was no Peyton Manning or John Elway or anything close to that. With the bust averages of QB's being what they were, a more sure thing LT was a safer pick.
  14. Outlaw Heroes

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I would have thought that a reasonable way to judge a draft pick in hindsight is from the perspective of whether the player turned out to be a good player and a valuable addition to the team (by that standard, Long was a home run). Judging a draft pick by reference to whom you could have taken instead strikes me as unfair. And it yields some pretty crazy judgments, as the following demonstrates.

In 2005, the Cowboys drafted DeMarcus Ware with the 11th pick. They were starting Drew Bledsoe at the time and had no reasonable belief that they had a franchise quarterback in the fold. Aaron Rodgers, who many thought should be the first player off the board (the debate about whether the 'Niners would choose him or Alex Smith did not get settled until the morning of the draft), went 24th. By your standards, the Ware pick should be criticized, given what we know about how Rodgers turned out.

Unless, of course, you think that Romo's unlikely and fortuitous emergence over a year later somehow salvages the choice of Ware. The idea that our judgment of the pick of Ware should turn on such an unforeseen circumstance is, of course, no less crazy than the idea that he was a bad pick because he was chosen ahead of a guy that many had touted as a franchise quarterback.
  15. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,363 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Just a quick note on how Bill would know what's going on in the negotiations.....

His ties to owners, coaches and players in the current NFL run deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. He knows as much as he cares to know about it.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    which is probably not a whole lot really.
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Blah Blah Blah
  18. Chocolate Lab

33,686 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    Okay, you appear to already have your mind made up. But all I know is that a franchise is never going anywhere without a very good QB. And three years after Miami had the #1 pick in the entire draft with the freedom to do anything they wanted, Atlanta is set for years at that spot while the Fins are scrambling to find one, with no solution in sight.

I mean, Ryan Clady is a great young LT, too, but that hasn't helped the Broncos much. They aren't going anywhere without a QB -- and everyone knows it.

Besides, I never said Long was a bad pick. Chris Long was a bad pick. But was Jake the right pick given the options available? I'd say no.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    Not only that but he also has experience going through a few of these previously so has a large historical reference base which he is using.

What he said was clear to all who are paying attention.

This isn't much different from past negotiations except both sides are talking tougher publicly.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    QB > LT but by a small margin.

If Matt Ryan was in Miami he'd be a far lesser player at the very least on paper. ATL has a lot in place around him. Miami has nearly nothing on offense except a running back and now LT.

Miami can go get Kevin Kolb if they need a QB.