1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Black Friday thread.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Anyone going out to the stores or just ordering online from sites such as Newegg and Amazon.

Also what is everyones feelings on stores opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving?
  2. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. The end.

Being open on Thanksgiving is super crappy. People should be able to have a day with their family without having to deal with that nonsense.
  3. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Newegg and online for me.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I refuse to fight the crowds for anything. If I need something that bad, I will get it before hand and pay the extra. As far as being open on Thanksgiving, I have no problem with it. As long as the employer give their people the choice and pay them time and a half, no problem.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Never in a million years would I go to a store on Black Friday. I do 90% of my non-grocery shopping online anyhow.
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I have never been shopping on Black Friday...that's not my thing.

My wife does it with her mom, aunt, cousin, and grandmother, so it's their girl thing to do. I never care, they are buying stuff for other folks. My shopping is typically done before thanksgiving...online.

I mainly shop online, except groceries and such.

I do think that it's crappy to have people come in on Thanksgiving night. Let people enjoy one day with their family.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am an Amazon prime member I just order stuff and get free two day shipping. A lot less headache
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I posted this in the wacky thread, but it fits this thread too.

[IMG]
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,457 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Never have been out shopping on that day. I avoid it...no way I am dealing with hordes of salivating shopping idiots running each other over to save a buck. Might do some online shopping, not sure.

As far as opening on Thanksgiving. I agree that if the employee wants to, volunteers, and is getting extra cash for doing so, then okay I understand that. Otherwise it is utter crapola.
  10. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,384 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    As someone who has worked in bars and shops that are open on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Hogmanay and New Years Day I can safely say that unless employment law is more heavily weighted in the employees favour over in the States (which I doubt) it is highly unlikely that employees will have any input into whether or not they are expected / contractually obliged to work on Thanksgiving.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,591 Messages
    5,502 Likes Received
    Agree with the others. But it online and avoid the headache.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    ^^^THIS^^^
  13. Warick

Warick Member

705 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I stay away from the stores on Black Friday. I either shop online, hit the stores before or after black friday, or I just give cash to the kids for Christmas (they prefer).

Also, I think workers should be able to enjoy the day with their family on Thanksgiving, and not have to worry working.
  14. Cowboy Brian

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I have a friend that works at Target and Target let employees volunteer for Thanksgiving and paid double if they do. On black friday its not volunteer but they still get Time and a half. This system is fair in my view. Walmart is forcing employees to work for regular rate on Friday and simply time and a half on Thurs. They open at 8pm so if an employee usually makes $10 per hour they come out making an extra $20 to give up the holiday. That is a scam.

Atleast with Target they are giving employees working on the holiday much more and black friday a nice extra sum of money.
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'll be sitting at home safe and sound.
  16. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,453 Messages
    180 Likes Received

How are they forcing people to work black Friday? It is just another day on the calender.
  17. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Exactly.....if they don't want to work they don't have too but they may not have a job but they have a choice
  18. Cowboy Brian

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Most retailers give the employees time and a half on Black Friday despite it not being a holiday. Of course employees should be expected to work that day if scheduled, Thanksgiving itself is a different story.
  19. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,107 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I'm with everyone having a day with their family, but when I was in the Air Force I worked part time jobs all the time. Thanksgiving was an off day and I didn't like it because I didn't get paid because the place was closed. There are a lot of people like me who wouldn't get paid if the stores are closed on Thanksgiving.

My daughter is one of them. She works for a temp agency and the pay is pretty good (better than the "real" workers where her job is) but she doesn't get the holiday off with pay. When they're open on certain holidays she gets double pay. So she is missing a day of work, and she doesn't like that.
  20. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If you don't have a family the holidays in the military sucks even worse if you are overseas.