1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

'Black' hurricane names brewing swirl of dissent

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    Do devastating hurricanes need help from affirmative action?

A member of Congress apparently thinks so, and is demanding the storms be given names that sound "black."

The congressional newspaper the Hill reported this week that Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, feels that the current names are too "lily white," and is seeking to have better representation for names reflecting African-Americans and other ethnic groups.

"All racial groups should be represented," Lee said, according to the Hill. She hoped federal weather officials "would try to be inclusive of African-American names."

A sampling of popular names that could be used include Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn, according to the paper.

Jackson Lee's call is brewing its own storm of response across America.

A WorldNetDaily reader wrote:

"You can be sure if there were too many 'black' names assigned to hurricanes, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee would instead be complaining that this practice unfairly stereotypes blacks as violent. Let's hope this silly storm blows over!"

Another, Greg Cook, says, "This is ridiculous. How about naming the storms after gang members, or infamous criminals? How about not having any name at all associated with hurricanes?"

Regina Roberston writes: "We should only name hurricanes for foreign officials who are in hiding or considered to be terrorists, or assisting terrorists. We could name the hurricanes after known illegal immigrants, since they are both unwanted and unwelcome anyway. Or how about we only choose French names, so the fear of hurricanes will be put to rest?"

Radio talk-show giant Rush Limbaugh says he was having dinner with his wife when he first learned of the proposal.

"I just threw up my hands. I said, 'Has it come to this now?'" Limbaugh recounted on his show.

"There's discrimination and actually elected officials wandering around worried about the discrimination in the name of hurricanes. And hurricanes are destructive. You know nobody's very excited when a hurricane's heading their way, and yet here she is demanding that hurricanes be named after black people.

"You know it used to be that hurricanes were named only after women because they were destructive and unpredictable. And that's the reason. The feminists grew upset about that, demanded that hurricanes be named after men, and so now, the civil rights leaders are demanding black names for hurricanes.

Limbaugh continued his analysis, saying it was not the mainstream populace responsible for what he called the "Balkanization" of race relations in America.

"It is these elected black leaders, the civil-rights coalitions – they're the ones that keep causing all this racial divide, they're the ones that keep calling attention to all this," said Limbaugh. "They're the ones that keep stirring this pot. They're the ones who don't want there to be any colorblind society. They're the ones who keep being agitated and trying to agitate others over all this, and now it's descended into the meaningless element of the names of hurricanes."

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, hurricanes were for centuries named after the Catholic saints' days on which the storms fell.

In 1953, the United States abandoned as confusing a two-year-old plan to name storms by a phonetic alphabet (Able, Baker, Charlie) when a new, international phonetic alphabet was introduced. That year, weather services began using female names for storms.

The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men's and women's names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't wait for Hurricaine LaFawnduh.

[IMG]
  3. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good lord. Doesn't this woman have a village to get back to? They must be looking for their idiot by now. How has she continued to be elected? With all of the other problems our country faces, naming hurricanes is on the top of her list?
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,044 Messages
    5,537 Likes Received
    Can someone find me a facepalm image? Goodness, I hope Sheila Jackson-Lee gets voted out next term.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    She'd be the first to complain about using the name when it devastates a city.
  6. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    what about one legged nazi dwarves? surely they should have hurricanes named after them? its discrimination i tells you
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Take your pick

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Boy, Rush can rant about anything. I just thought it was funny and silly, I can't imagine getting so worked up over something so stupid.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,044 Messages
    5,537 Likes Received
    This one works..

One thing I have read is that she's expected to have a few serious contenders next term. I really hope the few voters in her district take them seriously and put her on notice.
  10. Doomsday101

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    I can't believe and elected offical could be that stupid and should be called out for being a moron.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Silly and stupid are fine for the bars, corner stores and schools, but when it occurs in Congress at what point can it evince genuine concern? When people with 'Rep' in front of their names, meaning representative can't function any better than silly and stupid, I think a bit of a rant is validated.
  12. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,061 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'd love to see how your brain works
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Yeah that's all fine and dandy, I didn't say there was anything wrong with his rant, I'd think it'd be better to ridicule someone than to have an aneurysm.

Alright, Hannibal.
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Someone had an aneurysm?
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received

Lee is stirring a pot, keeping things going and emotions hot and you have to go after Limbaugh for saying whats on everyone's mind. My god you must have a poster of this man and you shake your fist at it everytime you enter the room.
  16. Doomsday101

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    Currently we do have Hurricane Felicia in the Pacific. Category 4 storm with sustained winds of 140 miles (220 kilometers) per hour, the U.S. National Hurricane Center reported.

Mrs. Lee is Felicia a black enough name or maybe we could use your own name Shelia? Naw that sounds how did you put it too "Lilly White" :lmao2:
  17. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,061 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    2009 Ana, Bill, Claudette, Danny, Erika, Fabian, Grace, Henri, Isabel, Juan, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda

2010 Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Igor, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Matthew, Nicole, Otto, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tomas, Virginie, Walter

2011 Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irene, Jose, Katia, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince, Whitney

2012 Alberto, Beryl, Chris, Debby, Ernesto, Florence, Gordon, Helene, Isaac, Joyce, Kirk, Leslie, Michael, Nadine, Oscar, Patty, Rafael, Sandy, Tony, Valerie, William

Here are your "lilly white" sounding names for the next 4 years
  18. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't realize there were names that only belonged to white people.

That said, there are definitely a few names on this list, where the first person I think of when I hear that name happens to be black:

Wanda:
    [IMG]

Franklin:
    [IMG]

Whitney:
    [IMG]

Isaac:
    [IMG]
  19. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    This article isn't for real is it?

It isn't from the Onion or something?

Good lord!! :banghead:
    This lady doesn't have more pressing issues to deal with?:banghead:
  20. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,843 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    You must not be familiar with Sheila Jackson-Lee... it's real alright...