1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

***Blame defense thread***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 4, 2012.

1. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,436 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Good defenses don't allow the opposition to gain 60 yards or more on 6 of 9 possessions. Good defenses get stops at the end of games. Good defenses take the ball away more than 8 times in 8 games.
  2. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,399 Messages
    1,204 Likes Received
    Scandrick and McCray need to take a train home
  3. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,998 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    Like someone said, sports isn't played in a vacuum. I can't know for sure how those 19 points came about. Like I mentioned, there was 2 missed FGs that Bryant very rarely misses. Then on the last drive, they weren't trying to score a TD but just waste time.

This defense never ever gives our offense a short field to work with. This offense continues to have to march 75 or more yards to score. Pretty much every single time out.

It's the same crap every year. There are no playmakers on this defense.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,663 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Good teams don't rely on their defense to be on the field the whole game because the offense can't score

The D puts this team in position to compete and the offense fails to. This is a football team. Not an offense or a defense or special teams. The D is doing their fair share and the other units aren't.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,012 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I'm sorry but I refuse to blame the defense, they held ATL to 19 freakin' points.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,663 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    It is such a mystery to me how the defense can give up yards, but not points and be the reaosn we lose.

And yet the offense gets yards but no points and is absolved.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,012 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Exactly... SMH:bang2:
  8. coogrfan

1,436 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Who's absolving anyone? Pointing out that the defense was bad tonight (and yes, if you allow the other guys to gain 60 or more yards on 6 of 9 possessions you played bad defense) doesn't mean the other elements of the team get a pass.
  9. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I thought yards didn't matter it was the points allowed that did.

19 POINTS PEOPLE
  10. coogrfan

1,436 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Yards matter, field position matters, ToP matters, getting a stop at the end of the game matters. The defense failed tonight in all of those areas.
  11. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    They could give up 600 yards and only allow 20 points and I'd be perfectly okay.
  12. Undisputed

Undisputed Active Member

1,890 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Pretty much...Reminds me of the Patriots game last year. Defense shuts down Brady all game AND even stops him late in the 4th quarter. Offense gives the ball right back and Brady burns us. Then we hear about how the defense doesn't get stops when it matters.

Hilarious. How long does our defense have to get stops before our offense puts points on the board? Until the end of overtime?
  13. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,229 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    Our defense didn't really get stops though. After the good punt return by Harris, this is where our drives began the rest of the night:

DAL 27
    DAL 19
    DAL 3
    DAL 14
    DAL 33
    DAL 20
    DAL 22
    DAL 20

Atlanta played the field position game at will because we can't run the ball to sustain drives and they were able to beat us down the field. They are not the reason we lost, but our defense did not play well enough for us to win either.
  14. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    They scored 19 points (and should have scored 22 or 25 if not for missing two short field goals) on only nine possessions, seven of which started at or inside their own 21, one that started at their 27 and one at their 44 -- and one of those possessions started with only 1:03 on the clock.

When you give up 19 points on that few possessions from that kind of starting field position, that's terrible defense.

Oh, and the defense again failed to get a single turnover.

The defense shouldn't get all of the blame, but it should get its fair share. The defense was horrible.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I agree totally with this. The offense was bad, but it wasn't the reason the defense was woeful. IIRC, the offense didn't have many 3 and outs or did they turn the ball over putting the D in bad field position.
  16. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    How about that Rob Ryan exotic defense! Spencer blitzing from the sideline :lmao2:
  17. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,998 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    This was my whole point basically. You can't just look at a single stat by itself and judge solely on that. You have to take into account the whole game and how it unfolded. This defense was put in good position all night long with the Falcons backed up. And they continued time and time again to let them march right down the field and giving up huge chunks to the WRs all night. Both Jones and Roddy have over 100yds receiving. Turner had over 100yds. They gained about 450 total. All in just 9 possessions. And the offense scores very quickly to give you a chance with about 6 minutes to play. And an offensive penalty puts the ball at their own 10 with 1st and 20. And what do they do? Let them gut out their insides the entire length of the field and waste all but 17 seconds. Just pathetic. No playmakers at all.

And the drive right before halftime to get 3 points was also horrible. 7 of the 9 drives they gained over 60 yards.
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,606 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Some very valid points here, but they might fall on deaf ears on this board cause everything that is wrong with the Cowboys has to be related to the OL, Romo, or Dez.

The D isn't 'fine', and no matter how many times people want to say that on this board, it still doesn't make it true. The truth is while the OL is the problem on offense, on defense we have issues at every level.
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Just think about this:

Terry Newman has as many interceptions as the entire Cowboy defense in a Zimmy coordinated defense.

BOOOOOOOOOOM ROASTED.
  20. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,026 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Why does the blame rest entirely on the offense???

This is a team game, how about the defense/special teams get some turnovers to help the offence out???

Eight turnovers in eight games just doesn't cut it!!!