1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Blogger Finds Y2K Bug in NASA Climate Data

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by AtlCB, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the fact that you cannot debate without trying to incite a flame war. You use "hot buttons" to try and anger me into a reply in kind. I guess now I should start by insinuating that you are a sheep that follows the flock because that is what everyone else is doing? Or perhaps I should refer to you as "boy" and try to incite an angry response from you? Or maybe I should tell you to take the nose ring out that the global warming conspiracy theorists are leading you around by?

You, in the final analysis of the data presented inthis thread, are not worth spit.
  2. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Before making policy, I would want to know if there were other causes, such as the sun going through a cycle of increased activity. I would want to know if there were other causes as well. It is entirely to easy to lay the blame at man's feet and overlook alternatives that may not only be contributing to, but actually causing an increase in temperature. Just because I don't agree with the global warming theory as presented does not mean that I think all science is bunk. I would like to have proof, not conjecture or consensus.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,364 Messages
    3,501 Likes Received
    This is a pretty strong thread. Please, lets not let it get out of hand with personal attacks. Good strong discussion here. It is enjoyable so long as it stays on topic.

Thank you all,

ABQ
  4. ABQCOWBOY

37,364 Messages
    3,501 Likes Received
    I think we would all like to have definative proof but that's kind of the problem. There is no proof to substantiate either position. At least, not at this point. Much more research is needed. Having said that, I am very much in favor of doing much more to prevent this cycle. As a country, we should be doing more then we are IMO.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    So what are examples of policies that are based on incontrovertible proof and absolutely certain outcomes with which one might contrast AGW?
  6. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
    [IMG]

I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.
  7. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard Iraq was a slam dunk.

And when it comes to dunking, I would know these things.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,400 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    Well Said ...... I totally agree.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,400 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    I heard that the Mavs were a slam dunk to be 2007 NBA champions....

;)
  10. ABQCOWBOY

37,364 Messages
    3,501 Likes Received

Well, that's going to leave a mark.

There went that thread.

:(
  11. Sasquatch

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    And we thought that AGW debate was heated. Uh oh.
  12. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Show me the incontrovertible truth and absolute certainty of any data and I could better answer your question. :)
  13. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ba-da-boom! :laugh2:
  14. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. Which is why I argue against the global warming consensus. I also agree that we, the human race, should do more to take care of our planet.
  15. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ouch.

Watch the low blows.

I was holding my breath until the playoffs started, which I'm still waiting for since the Mavs didn't show. After the 2006 Finals meltdown there was no reason to, in the words of one former Cowboys coach, "bring out the annoiting oil just yet".
  16. Sasquatch

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Which leads me to believe that some are selectively applying these rather stringent standards of proof, i.e. opposition is less about the scientific merits of the argument in favor of AGW or more about political conviction. Because if that weren't the case, we would see the same skepticism mobilized against many other policies such as the Bush tax cuts, building a wall along the Mexican border, keeping our troops in Iraq, testing educational outcomes, free trade agreements, etc., etc.
  17. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm getting kind of lost in this thread - what is the question of proof for again?

That the earth is in a warming trend?

That this is mostly man-made (not cyclical, attributed to the sun, natural causes or little green elves) or man is due a significant portion of the blame?

That we are in an warming trend that is unprecedented in the past 1,000/10,000/1 million/10 million years?

That we know what will happen in the next 100 years, at current expected rates of industrial production?

Because some of the above I agree with, but some I don't.
  18. Sasquatch

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I thought that we were just trying to get this thread to 3,000 posts. Just trying to do my share while leaving the more complex statistical issues to others. :)
  19. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My disagreement is with the lack of proof for man made global warming. That and the fact that we are seeing a new business crop up in Carbon Credit trading. Another problem I have with man-made global warming theory is the offset for 3rd world countries and China. If it is man-made, and they know it's man-made, the consensus would be to stop the 3rd world countries and China from going down the same industrilaization path that the US and Europe went down. Instead of giving them offsets, we should all be stopping anything that drives man-made global warming. We're not, they're not, nobody is really stopping.
  20. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In that case, maybe we could start a game? Start with a term used in the global warming debate, and the next phrase has to take a word from the previous phrase!

I'll start - ice core samples.