1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bluestang's Quick Takes - Week 2

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Sep 24, 2013.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,844 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
    If Garrett is willing to live with the choices tony is making at the line, then it still falls on Garrett
    Garrett has been Tony's OC and now HC for over 6 years, let that sink in for a minute....... He is the HC and he hears all the calls as they go through

If Garrett is happy with romo's choices then that implies this is the way he wants the offense to run ie back to Garrett

Can't have it both ways

If he is happy with how the offense is run, he is responsible for it as the HC

Can't say he is "willing to live with it" to give the impression that poor Garrett does not have control when he (as HC) has the ability to change things AT ANY TIME DURING THE GAME

It is funny to see you try to excuse him off responsibility and blame everyone else
    khiladi likes this.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    Garrett isn't going to be able to change plays on the fly. I don't remember seeing Romo looking at the bench for signals All he can do is help make periodic changes during the game. After the game is when you get a chance to look at the film and make more significant changes to the offense. The have some ability to look at formations etc during the game but its limited by the rules. He does have halftime to help make exact changes but that's not a long time. As the HC during much of the game he's going to direct the offense in a much more general way. It's Callahan's job to call the proper plays and make in game adjustments. And it's Romo's job to make presnap adjustments. That's already a tall order which many QBs never learn well. His ability to audible is going to be limited generally to either run or pass and some hot reads in addition.

Romo's job is to make presnap adjustments to formations and changing plays at the LOS based on reading the defense. He doesn't have a lot of choices with an audible generally run vs pass and some hot reads. He doesn't have the ability to change to any play he wishes at the LOS although there may be a few calls he can make that the team put in during the week. That's difficult to do.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Garrett is ultimately responsible for everything, yes I agree with that, however, the offense still showed the same pass happy traits under a different play caller and you still think that was all Garrett's fault?
  4. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Of course it's going to be pass happy, because number one, it's still Garrett's playbook... Number two, it's a pass happy league... Number three, the Cowboys are more effective with throwing the ball...

How your logic jumps to it's Romo's fault is utterl absurd... Romo doesn't draw up the plays for play-action only 2 or 3 times a game.. Romo has set plays to choose from.. Ironically, the game-plan last year was abandoned and Romo carried the team through in the second-half. Dallas last year was utter bottom in scoring in the first half, but shot to the top for second-half scoring...

That is on Red-head...
  5. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Thank you for posting this.
  6. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    What the fact that Garrett is so awful, he needs somebody else to call plays out of his own handbook?
  7. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Just stop...lol.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    Amazing how much better the coaches look now that there is a decent OL and defense. No matter how hard you coach them up, you can't get pigs to fly.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Kind of works that way. Players execute they keep themselfs if better down and distance and the playbook opens. Monday driving into work listening to the sports talk her Houston it was funny, the callers sounded like the people on this board
    Kubiak playcalling sucks and predicatable, time management is poor and they need to find a real HC. I could not help from laughing my ars off. Name of the game is execution, these coaches do understand this game better than a bunch of message board want to be. They have played it they have studied it they understand it. Now HC has to get his team to execute if they don't that is on him and his staff.
  10. visionary

7,844 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
    It is also amazing how much better players can play with good coaching (eg our defense this year)

I guess in some cases those pigs were not pigs, because it looks like they did have wings

If, as Bluestang is surmizing, the offense is more Callahan and romo, if the offense plays well this year that would be an indictment of Garrett's abilities as OC

I have no doubt that at that point these same posters will be telling us how great the Garrett offense is
    khiladi and Chocolate Lab like this.
  11. visionary

7,844 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
    Maybe it is just me but I usually blame the person who is responsible

By your own admission, that is Garrett

We agree on that
    khiladi likes this.
  12. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Bill Callahan owned up to the lack of run calls from the KC game. Romo attributed it to the lack of effectiveness of the rushing game, but the problem was that the 3rd qtr had better runs than the 1st half even if it was just 5 of them. It's hard to put the blame all on one person but I put it more on Romo than anyone else.
    visionary likes this.
  13. visionary

7,844 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
    I agree that it is not all on Garrett
    Garrett, Callahan, romo are all involved
    As jobberone said, OL has to do its job as well

Good observations overall
  14. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received

So then the next game, when they adjusted, who do you attribute the success too?
  15. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Good grief, the answer will not change.
  16. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    So when JG, in Chicago last year, you now, per your words, 'owned up to it' and said it was his fault for not running, whose fault was it then? Romo's? I mean your the one saying Romo has complete control of the offense and has had it since TO left...
  17. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Again, why was Dallas among the worst in first half scoring last year, only to shoot to the top, if the fault was Romo audibling out of plays? Wouldn't the game plan to just be after half-time, "Romo stop audibling out of the plays I'm calling for you"?