1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Lilly: Ring of Honor

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,421 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    :star: 74 - Bob Lilly :star:

"Mr. Cowboy"

1961 - 1974

DT, Texas Christian University

[IMG]

11 Time Pro Bowl...1962, 64 - 73
    6 time All Pro...1964 - 65, 67 - 69, 71

Inducted in Cowboys Ring of Honor 11/23/75
    Inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame 8/2/80

Link to Bob Lilly's Ring of Honor page.

Before earning the nickname "Mr. Cowboy", Bob Lilly was the first player ever drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 1961. So it is fitting that Lilly not only became the first Cowboys player inducted into the Ring of Honor in 1975, but also became the franchise's first player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980. During the course of 14 seasons with the Cowboys, Lilly was named Rookie of the Year in 1961, was selected to the Pro Bowl a club-record 11-times - 10 consecutive selections between 1964-74 - was named to the All-Pro team seven times and played in two Super Bowls, including the club's very first Super Bowl victory, 24-3 over Miami in Super Bowl VI.

As the foundation of the famed "Doomsday Defense", Lilly's intensity was readily apparent in an infamous scene after the Cowboys' Super Bowl V loss to the Baltimore Colts when he ripped his helmet off and hurled it into the air. The following year, the Lilly-led Cowboys defense held Miami to only a field goal in Super Bowl VI, the fewest points every given up in Super Bowl history.

"The competition is what I love," Lilly once said. "That makes me a lot more intense. Personalities don't enter into it at all. My objective is to get the man with the ball. Nobody better get in my way."

Lilly is the Cowboys' all-time leader in consecutive games played at 196, is tied for second with 14 seasons played and second all-time with 194 games started. Lilly led the Cowboys in sacks three consecutive years, beginning with his rookie season.

"A man like that comes along once in a lifetime," late Cowboys head coach Tom Landry said in 1972. "He is something a little bit more than great. Nobody is better than Bob Lilly."

Lilly was a two-time All-American defensive end at Texas Christian University and a two-time all-Southwest Conference team selection.

Born July 26 1939, in Olney, Texas.

[IMG]
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,077 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    One of the big reason I became a Cowboys fan. I loved watching Lilly play the game going up aginst constant double teams and yet still would make the plays. He was the biggest part of the Doomsday Defense in my opinion
  3. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,196 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    My grandma has actually served him her world famous pancakes way back in the day in Lubbock. Its one of her favorite stories, I'm not sure how she got the opportunity, I doubt he remembers. But its a cool story.
  4. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I met him at an autograph signing, he is a class guy. I can see why he is so well liked.
  5. Hostile

118,421 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    The title "Mr. Cowboy" simply says it all. Bob Lilly was our first star player. He didn't just play the game of football, he attacked it with every fiber of his being. Tom Landry said it very simply, "no one is better than Bob Lilly."

Bob Lilly is a legend and that is how it should be. Every teammate he ever had was in awe of his power, dedication, and character. He was a commanding presence among them and to opponents on the field as well who usually had to dedicate two men to stopping him from wreaking havoc.

It is fitting that Bob Lilly is the first Cowboy in the Ring of Honor and first in the Hall of Fame as he was our very first draft choice and superstar. That alone wasn't enough to earn him the title "Mr. Cowboy." He had to be larger than life and in every way possible, Bob Lilly was. A great Dallas Cowboy and a better man.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,077 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    He also showed that you did not need to have a so called nasty streak to play the game, Lilly was a competitor and played the game all out but was also one of the nicest people you could meet.
  7. adamknite

adamknite Well-Known Member

3,825 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Sometimes I wish I would have been able to watch him and the other cowboy greats play, but then I remind myself that would make me old :D so I'm just glad I get to look back at a great Cowboy and say "He was the best ever at his position"
  8. Cowboy Bill Watts

Cowboy Bill Watts Member

706 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    sacking bob griese in the super bowl, then lighting up that big stogie after

sweet

:bow:
  9. IndianaCowboyFan

IndianaCowboyFan The Bullet

852 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey Hostile are these Biographys going to be accessable after they are replaced with new ones? They are great reading and I would like to check them out again at later dates.
  10. Hostile

118,421 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    Yes sir, they will be in the History Zone.

Here's the thread for all 10 Hall of Famers. If you look at the bottom of each post there is a link to the threads posted here for the countdown. Click on any link and it will take you right to the player you want to read up on.

There will be a similar thread for the Ring of Honor.
  11. IndianaCowboyFan

IndianaCowboyFan The Bullet

852 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is this a repeat thread? I thought we honored him already.
  13. Hostile

118,421 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    That was Hall of Fame, this is Ring of Honor. As I said yesterday, all 10 Hall of Famers will have 2 threads. Please share the same memories or pictures if you wish.