1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Sturm: I'd be nervous taking Texas A&M's Von Miller too early

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 28, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    7,002 Likes Received
    Posted at 1:33 PM on Fri., Jan. 28, 2011 | Permalink
    SportsDayDFW sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

As we continue to prepare for the NFL Draft and for the #9 pick, I have been locked on to all of the Senior Bowl week coverage from Mobile that is now available on our televisions in 2011. Isn't technology wonderful? The idea that we can now view Senior Bowl workouts each day and hear the NFL executives discuss various players is something that surely did not exist a decade ago. Now, we can get a feel for the draft in January on some level.

By all accounts, the highest-rated player in the 2011 Draft who is in Mobile appears to be Texas A&M OLB Von Miller. Miller is one of a handful of 1st Round Picks present for the Senior Bowl and also the one who is causing the most salivating.

The reason he is off the charts with upside is his quickness and his ability to rush and sack the QB at the very top level. This, as we know is invaluable to the 3-4 defense. The entire scheme is based on 2 players. The Outside Linebackers who play a "joker" position where they can rush or they can drop into coverage. And since there are 5 players lined up across the front, the offense has to figure out which OLB is dropping and which one is headed for the outside edge of your tackle on his way to the QB.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/bob-sturm-texas-ams-von-miller.html
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    We are better off with Spencer being the starter and this guy replacing Spencer on 3rd downs. :muttley:

I don't see a need for him here. He would be nice to have, but we can't really afford to spend the #9 over all pick on someone like him.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Some valid points raised in the article, esp his size to play OLB from Day 1 in a 34.

The question was raised by posters in Draft Zone whether he could play ILB or some type of hybrid position. Perhaps. But I wouldn't want to spend the number 9 pick on so many theoreticals.

We can't afford to miss given the holes on the OL, Safety, and DL as it stands right now.
  4. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Luckily, Bob Sturm has proven time and again that he isnt very bright so we don't have to pay much attention to what he thinks. Case in point...

Miller injured his ankle in the first game of the season which limited him until halfway through conference play, then was plagued by dehydration cramps against OU and Nebraska (yet still only missed a combined 17 plays in those two games). Sturm clearly didnt think it was important enough to look into that, though.

I've never seen so much squirming over a guy who spent nearly half of the past two seasons fighting a nagging ankle injury and still managed to rack up 29 sacks and be deemed the best linebacker in the country.

All that being said, I hope we don't draft him. We have much bigger needs.
  5. Sam I Am

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Are we angry because he is slighting your teams player? :muttley:
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,038 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    I agree with Sturm. I'd be nervous about picking the guy.
  7. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm agitated because he put out what he believed to be a brilliant thought and it turned out to be nothing more than uneducated conjecture. It would be like me questioning why Dez Bryant missed so much time this season and saying it was indicative of an issue with him.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,924 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    It is "time and again". I think he has shown to be pretty bright; however, there is a difference between evaluating plays and schemes and evaluating players. Maybe he should stick to the plays and schemes portion.

His comment on Roy Williams(the safety) is wrong. Roy could and did do it all after Dallas drafted him. He was one of the best safeties in the league. There was nothing wrong with Dallas drafting him as highly as they did. If they hadn't another team would have. Something changed in Roy that changed the way he played, but he had the talent and showcased it on game day his first few years.
  9. Sam I Am

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I agree! He SUCKS! :laugh2:
  10. Sam I Am

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Roy could do it with Woody playing next to him.
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was strange. Brain fart.

I've never been a fan of Sturm. He routinely speaks with the authority of a seasoned NFL scout and it comes off as arrogant.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    It all comes back to the NT, OLB's may be the engines of the 3-4 D but that NT is the transmission that kicks it into gear. Ratliff has done about all you can expect, but if he were in the draft today, people may be saying the same thing about a 6'4" 306 lb NT that they're saying about Von.
  13. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I think he'd be a great fit here, even despite his lack of size. I'd be hesitant if he was drafted to be THE guy for a defense, like Ware was back in 2005 but he'd be a perfect Robin to Ware's Batman. Plus, I'd be hesitant if this was a simple defensive scheme, like Wade's or Pasqualoni, based on 1 on 1 matchups because I do think he'd get handled by offensive linemen. But in a defense where the DC moves him around and stunts him, like Capers, LeBeau's or hopefully Rob Ryan's scheme, I think Miller would be a huge force.

With that being said though, we have too many needs in the big picture and I'd like to answer the interior of the DLine. I'm still very high on Victor Butler and if Spencer is still ineffective, I'd like to see more of a 50/50 or 60/40 split with him and Butler
  14. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cardinals have paid Miller some significant attention. Miller pulled out of the game, which could mean that he knows something that we don't (in regards to his draft status). Time will tell. The Cardinals are an odd front defense.
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,011 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I like Miller, but I think we have more pressing needs and I think thier will be a talented guy at those positions.
  17. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,829 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    I wonder if he has the versatility to play both the OLB and ILB positions? If he could play the ILB, that would present some interesting options with him, Ware and Spenser on the field at the same time. To justify taking him at #9, he would need to have that versatility to play both positions and play them well (like a Mike Vrabel rather than a Bobby Carpenter) assuming we keep Spenser.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,164 Likes Received
    Feh on Miller.

Too small.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    He did? I hadn't heard that, do you have a link?
  20. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,429 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    I would love to have this kid, BUT he needs at least 2 offseason in a NFL weightroom IMO. He still has the body of a highschooler.