1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Book Review: War Room, by Michael Holley

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dwmyers, Apr 22, 2012.

1. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,047 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Picked it up because Greg Cosell, Rob Rang and Doug Farrar were talking it up.

My review is below...

http://codeandfootball.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/book-review-the-war-room-by-michael-holley/

Excerpt

2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I enjoyed the book. It certainly cemented some things about the draft I've thought for a very long time such as positional value.

The most obvious thing not covered was the Patriots consistently selling a late first rounder for a 2nd and a 1st next year. That is getting a big return of 2 premium players for 1 with only 1 year. That is about 75% interest.
  3. dwmyers

2,047 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I ran into the Patriot's habit of trading picks some time ago - it's not just them, it's discernable into a NFL wide trend. The more draft picks you have, the more you win:

[IMG]

D-
  4. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think the causation behind it is only partially true.

The teams with the most picks are teams that stack future years, but more often those with compensatory picks. Players from good teams are in higher demand and the good teams generally have less salary cap room so they loose some of their depth and receive compensatory selections.
  5. dwmyers

2,047 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    What causation? Correlations are not the same as causes. Is winning the product of more draft picks, or do winners, by virtue of winning, have more draft picks?