1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Boys meet with Micheal Ricks, db, senior bowl info

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by unionjack8, Jan 29, 2011.

1. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,334 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    MOBILE, Ala. -- LSU star cornerback Patrick Peterson and Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones weren't the only draft prospects making the rounds at the Senior Bowl, networking with NFL teams even though they're not playing in the game.
    Stillman College all-conference defensive back MIchael Ricks met with the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans this week.
    "It's going pretty good," Ricks said. "I'm working out hard and I hope to run a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash."
    Ricks recorded 108 tackles, seven interceptions and 13 pass deflections in two seasons.
    The 6-foot-1, 191-pounder played in the HBCU all-star game, guarding speedy Fort Valley State cornerback Ricardo Lockette.
    "It was a pretty good matchup," Ricks said. "He caught a pass on me, but I was right there."
    Ricks signed with Alabama after a standout prep career in Courtland, Ala., but didn't qualify academically and enrolled at Northeast Mississippi Junior College before transferring to Stillman.
    He signed with Alabama again after playing at Northeast for two seasons, but wasn't able to qualify for a football scholarship with the Crimson Tide due to academic problems.
    As a high school senior, Ricks recorded 1,900 yards of total offense and led the state of Alabama with 16 interceptions.
    At Northeast Mississippi, he was a two-time all-state selection.
    As a sophomore, Ricks averaged 24.8 yards per kickoff return. As a freshman, he intercepted six passes.
    Ricks wasn't invited to the NFL scouting combine and is preparing for a March 9 Pro Day on the Stillman campus.
    "It's a great experience, the whole draft process," Ricks said. "I'm learning how to meet people. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to the NFL. It's more than what happens on the field."
  2. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,124 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    lets not draft another small college guy with potential who will disappear in 3 years :bang2:
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,948 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    Does Dallas and Miami use the same scouts ? Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that these two teams are usually mentioned together at draft time ? Seems odd that both teams usually scout the same players and rate the players at the same level. I don`t know if this is a good thing. I guess it is the Tuna influence.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds like a really bright kid....:(
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

6,096 Messages
    922 Likes Received
    Although they weren't drafted, those small college guys with potential like Romo and Austin fared pretty well with the Cowboys.

Nothing wrong with the Cowboys taking a look. I don't know where this guy is slated to go in the draft, but I don't have a problem taking him in the late rounds or as an undrafted FA.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll pass... Doesn't seem too bright if he couldn't become eligible at Alabama of all places!