1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BR: Dallas Cowboys Draft: Should the 'Boys Select an Offensive Tackle?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This line of thinking is the reason the Cowboys are 8-8 .
  2. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    To some extent I can agree with you, but we do have to get value at where we pick. I guess noone really saw how bad Free looked last year, guess I'm the only one.

Let's try to hide him on the right side and see how that works out.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,628 Messages
    3,151 Likes Received
    The guard play for the Saints certainly looks "impact" doesn't it?

The bottom line is that there are about a dozen other positions on this team that I'm more concerned about than Free's spot.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    It's VERY rare to see Romo being able to step up in the pocket comfortably. We have poor interior line play, there's no doubt about that. Interior OL should be addressed in free agency IMO.
  5. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well I guess everyone's favorite scout, couchscout, shouldn't be listened to on this subject:

Guess I'm going with the less obvious prediction. When it is stated that Holland was our second best OL (who is JAG), over Free, that should say plenty. Would be great to have DeCastro, but if so, I figure we will have to slide protection to Free's side to help him out.

That's how bad Free was.
  6. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    What would you think about this OL?

Tyron Smith, David Arkin, Kevin Kowalski, Ben Grubbs, Doug Free
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Definitely an improvement vs. this past season.

I'd also try and keep Holland as a cheap veteran for depth purposes.

I like what I've seen from Kowalski, but I have no idea if he can be developed into a top quality Center.

I would seriously consider drafting a Center in Round 3/Round 4, depending on the staff's view on Kowalski.
  8. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    It would be better, but everything depends on who we actually can get in the draft and free agency. I'm more fine with that if we can get a top CB or a pass rusher who works out well and proves to be worth the pick.

I do wanna upgrade the OL, no question, and figure we will pick one with one of our top 3 picks. We just also need alot of help on D, and shouldn't be ignored.
  9. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I would keep Holland as a backup no doubt. Kowalski will do great with Woicik's strength program also. I'd throw Arkin in the mix to improve as well. Nagy, Arkin and Kowalski are three players I'm keeping my eyes on for next year. We can't have Pro Bowlers at every position so we may have to get a FA guard, and then let the other players battle it out for the other guard spot.

If the team doesn't believe Kowalski or Costa is the long-term solution, I'd be down for Ben Jones in the 3rd round.
  10. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,980 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I think the original question of this post is a good one.

If one of the top OTs is available at 14, do we pull the trigger?

Kalil, Reiff, or Martin....if they're available, then take them. We'd have a fine tackle combo.

If we do that....then, it's essential that we sign a FA OG or two.
  11. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah I'm not against that at all. We have young guys we just drafted, why not develop them instead of give up on them so early. Now if we don't get a FA guard, and Kosier just can't play anymore, of course DeCastro moves wayyy up our list. We just aren't at that point of knowing all that yet.

Plus we haven't drafted any CBs or pass rushers lately anyway that are ready to step in and contribute.

If one of them are there at 14, I take one of them unless a top CB is sitting there or a pass rusher that works out well. I just don't think anyone of those 3 will be there, we would have to move up. But if we did take one of those 3, we would have to move Free to guard, which would decrease our need at guard.
  12. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Exactly. Free agency will determine what we do in the draft...
  13. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah we agree on that about free agency, if we get Nicks or Grubbs, I'm probably not looking for a guard that high in the draft. But if we don't get one of them, I'm probably going to become more a DeCastro supporter, but even more of a whatever OT drops supporter.
  14. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    If we do sign Grubbs or Nicks, CB or OLB has to be the pick. The value may not be there for OLB, but the CB Kirkpatrick may not be there either.

My dream FA list is: DE/LB Cliff Avril, S Michael Griffin, and OG Carl Nicks

This would allow us to target CB and DL in the draft. Heck, I would try and move up a few spots for Kirkpatrick if he started to slide. We need CB's in the worst way.
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah everything is in limbo til we get through free agency. Not really loving the CBs in free agency this year, but we really do need to be more active in general in free agency this year. Out of our 5 young guys on the OL, hope we could find 2 that can play if we get some impact players at CB and pass rusher in the draft and get Nicks or Grubbs.

Too bad right now the draft is looking weak on pass rushers, hopefully some work out well lead by either Ingram or Upshaw.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,652 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    If Martin slides to 14 and DeCastro is also there, it would be a tough call.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,515 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Wow, talk about an overboard reaction from Free's play last year. He was actually a middle of the pack player at LT last year. He will be a top 10 player at RT next year, probably top 5.

We have gaping holes on this roster and cap issues. We just gave him a huge deal. He's not going anywhere and we aren't going to draft an OT in the first 4 rounds so he can be 3rd string when we have our bookends in place for the next 5 years.

Heck, I really like the growth Parnell showed last year. He actually looked pretty good for such a raw player in preseason. I wouldn't be shocked if he beats Free out for the starting role in 2013 and we trade Free next offseason.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,628 Messages
    3,151 Likes Received
    That's how I see things.

I doubt the Cowboys are considering a tackle anywhere in the first 3 rounds.
  19. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well I guess you missed what was said about moving Free inside. Noone has proposed or even mentioned moving Free to the bench as a 3rd stringer at OT.

At #14, a difference maker is needed, and although DeCastro is a good prospect, he doesn't play a premium position. Had to hear the noise about taking a RT at 9 last year, and point was he will be a LT which was a good plan. Now at 14, Jerry is going to take a guard with all of our other needs for our horrible D??

Guess we will have to wait and see on that one.
  20. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I disagree. He was constantly off balance with bad foot work.