1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brad Sham, "The Brian Waters deal is dead."

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSport78, Aug 17, 2013.

1. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    So tell me why the draft board had Cooper and Warmack there to be selected if anyone of them fell to us... If they fell to us, you know Jerry would have made that selection.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,141 Likes Received
    Look, you know I"m not a fan of the 'hater' stuff. Other than the obvious trolls, we're all just Cowboys fans who either happen to be optimists or pessimists. But most of us optimists know that the interior of our OL is not a strength for this team. We just see other teams able to win with similar liabilities and want to see resources devoted elsewhere. I, for one, am happy to see us adding to the OL once I know our pass defense is more effective, just not until.

And, sure, a good ball control offense is one way to eat clock, keep the other team from passing, and to avoid mistakes in your own passing game. It's not the only way to win the passing game differential battle, but it's one way to do it. I just get tired of trying to defend the fact that there happens to be more than one way to skin that cat. You can win in the NFL just fine without being the strongest team in the offensive trenches. That's been pretty well established in recent playoff series. So, if the team choses to go that route, it doesn't follow that the owner/GM and the HC are morons or that their plan can't work.
  3. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,164 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I want an O Line filled with 5 monsters. Nasty as can be.

I guess I'll have to wait a few more years though.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,135 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I think you assume her Idgit. There are surely people on this board and a whole cadre of those who high tailed it to another board that find no fault in anything, including an entire draft of back-ups.

The 90's team played ball control and managed to eat the clock. Surely there are more ways. Having an opportunistic defense is one.

But this team will need to have the offense stay on the field. The 90's defense was a bend don't break and this one will need to be, as well.

The bandaid they put on this offensive line this year is looking very similar to last year.

We as fans are relying on a rookie - who could be something special at some point, but he is still a rookie - to change from the stinking line of last year.

There is no way Arkin will get it done and if Leary does have a degenerative knee issue, how is that forward thinking planning on that guy?
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received
    Here's what Broaddus said about Arkin's game tonight... And this is from a guy who's been generally down on Arkin's play...

David Arkin[IMG] – Coming into this game against the Cardinals, I thought it would be a very important afternoon for Arkin and the confidence level of the staff. With Arkin there has always been questions about his ability as a pass-blocker, and I thought today he was solid in that area. There was one time where he and tackle Tyron Smith[IMG] didn't handle the twist stunt well and it allowed a pressure resulting in a holding call on Smith. In the running game, Arkin was able to hold his own without any major issues getting pushed back or just flat missing on a block. He was steady today and was able to handle his assignments without any issues.
    Nirvana likes this.
  6. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,164 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Romo wont last 5 games this year. He's taking a beating in freakin preseason.

He'll have to chuck and duck once again, and we all know what that leads to.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,740 Messages
    5,147 Likes Received
    It's not forward thinking.

Forward thinking hasn't been a part of this organization in ages. There used to be a time when Landry and Tex were the blueprint for the league. In the 90s our training camps were full of visitors from college head coaches trying to learn our ways. Now, we have a GM who after the '10 debacle claimed he wanted to build a team like the Giants. Then 2 years ago said "he wanted linebackers like the Niners". Now the new flavor of the month is that he wants a QB that "studies like Peyton". Basically my point is we have NO PLAN. That's how you end up in the predicament we're in now, having to beg two men out of retirement one month before the season's start. Shame....
    TwoDeep3 likes this.
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received
    What game did you watch today?

The Cowboys had 19 pass attempts in the first half and gave up no sacks.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,114 Messages
    4,306 Likes Received
    I don't understand this at all. There is an obvious improvement in the OL play this summer. Why would it be the same?
  10. TwoDeep3

6,135 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Okay Zordon, I'll toss them to you, and you knock them out of the park.

Great post!
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,490 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    We have Leary and Bernie. There will be players available at some point before the season starts as other teams cut them if that is really necessary. Not the best way to go but not the end of the world either. Every situation has its own unique pros and cons. That's the end of one option (maybe) but others will pop up.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,141 Likes Received
    I don't understand being pointlessly optimistic any more than I do being upset about everything that has to do with the Dallas Cowboys. It's obviously not a game of absolutes.

I can see building a team around an expensive OL and running the football, the problem I always have with that, though, is that's not going to work unless you also can play pass defense and generate a pass rush. If you can't keep the other guys from scoring, power football doesn't do you enough good. And the issue with that is, it's expensive in terms of cap dollars and picks to build a secondary and pass rush that can stop anybody. And that's what we've been trying to do the last two seasons, anyway. Once you have the pass defense, and especially if you have the QB, then there are many different ways to be productive offensively. If, at that point, we've got picks or cap room to spare on a pair of OGs to go with our LT and C, I'm all for it. I just think we're going to need to replace DLs and still might need to address the S position more aggressively before then (hopefully not, but until I see that it's solved, it's an open question). This is basically how we've been going about things... fixing CB last season, bringing in multiple S options, and switching the defense. Bringing in the C and then trying to go cheap at OG until we have the time to build depth.

I agree that Arkin is a whiff. You can plug him in and not have it be a disaster, but he's not the guy I want as my swing OG. I do think Leary looks legit, and the knee problems are too far off in the future for me to get too concerned about them now when we're looking to fill starting spots this season. I think he was a big hit for our college scouts. Frederick, too, though he's going to need time to develop.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,114 Messages
    4,306 Likes Received
    Where is this coming from? Because that is the minority opinion.
  14. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,928 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Glad Broaddus mentioned this because I was keying on Arkin on quite a few plays and was impressed. The only time I saw him get "beat" was on a spin move, but the guy spun right into Frederick, who was helping on that side. Arkin looked better than I thought he would. Perhaps he is a serviceable back up after all?
  15. TwoDeep3

6,135 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    THen why are you taking this to an absolute as if I think the only way to have a good defense is with the offense. Dallas had a good defense in the 90's. But they also played ball control offense.

This game is about passing now, and that, more than anything gives the advantage to the offense. But if your passing game is not consistent, then you forfiet the coock advantage.

Thus running is what controls the clock.

To keep your defense fresh, you want them on the field the least amount of time possible. So if that is a fact, then being able to run the ball is paramount.

People say this is strictly a passing game, but timely running can make or break a good team.

Thus having a line that both protect Romo and can run the rock will cause your defense to be fresher.

One of my big complaints is the offense and their three and outs. Blocking holes for runs is a way to accomplish two things. I don't believe this team is there as yet.
  16. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,826 Messages
    979 Likes Received
    Perhaps. The guys (starters) he was going against are not too shabby. He held his own.
  17. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    It's preseason. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until after the dress rehersal next week.
  18. TwoDeep3

6,135 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    That is said every year.

two back to back 8-8's.

I'd say conclusions need to be drawn, but not by us but by the coaching staff.
    coult44 likes this.
  19. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    What conclusions? Other than the turnovers, I thought both the starting offensive and defensive teams played pretty damn good.
  20. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,502 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    YOUR JOKING RIGHT!!!