1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brandon (Head-Hunter) Meriweather banned 2 games for illegal hits

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by 03EBZ06, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Brandon Meriweather banned 2 games for illegal hits

Brandon Meriweather has a well-earned reputation as a head-hunter in the Washington Redskins' secondary. His unwillingness (or inability) to change his playing style has taken him off the field.

The NFL announced Monday that Meriweather has been suspended without pay for two games for repeat violations this season of NFL safety rules prohibiting hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.

Meriweather may not practice during the suspension and will be unavailable for games against the Denver Broncos and the San Diego Chargers. Meriweather will be reinstated on November 4.

Meriweather was flagged twice for illegal hits in Sunday's 45-41 win over the Bears. After the game, Chicago receiver Brandon Marshall -- the recipient of one of those hits -- railed against Meriweather's playing style, saying the safety should be suspended or kicked out of the game entirely.

"Guys like that really don't understand that there is life after football," Marshall said, via the Chicago Tribune.

The two-game suspension will cost Meriweather $141,176 in game checks. The NFL fined Meriweather $42,000 last month for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

"I feel like every hit that I took was a legit hit," he said, via the Washington Post. "I wasn't trying to be dirty. I wasn't trying to hurt nobody. I didn't launch with my head. I used my shoulder like they told me to do. Everything I did was a pointer from them (league officials). ... You've just got to play. There ain't nothing I can do about it. I just go out there and play."

For the rest---> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...n-meriweather-banned-2-games-for-illegal-hits
  2. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,406 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    he should just start breaking legs...thats allowed
  3. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    The 1st hit on Ashlon Jeffrey was a bogus call. Meriweather made contact with his Jeffrey's shoulder after 2-3 steps. In no was was he defenseless and I don't believe he made contact with his head.

However, the hit on Marshall was as bad, and needless, as they come.
  4. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Ridiculous. You play to intimidate the enemy. That is why these guys are payed millions. Risk and reward.
  5. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    But when a player has a history of head hunting, he won't get benefit of doubt.
    roughneck266 likes this.
  6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,833 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    About time.
  7. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    He always seems to be inches away from breaking his own neck:

There were more pics I tried to upload, but they apparently didn't. Whatever.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Stupid. I hope he wins his appeal. The first hit didn't even look like it was helmet to helmet and the second looked like he hit Marshal with his arms.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Maybe he likes to hit like that to try and forget when he was trucked over and leaped over by a WVU RB named Wilson heheh

Still remember that hit all those years ago.
  10. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Benched

627 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I saw the hits......reviewed them....

I don't get it??. It's going to be flag football, And soon.......scores like 80-75.......

I get it, Safety is an issue.

But this is football. Football is a psychical sport.

U know, People get hurt in baseball too......and tennis......golf........mowing the lawn......
    dallasdave likes this.
  11. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,858 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    I love threads started that require the readers to look up the story elsewhere then come back for someone's commentary.
    Galian Beast likes this.
  12. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,504 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Can't say I agree whatsoever. This guy is a serial violator...heck, go look at the skins board, even they agree the suspension is justified.
  13. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
  14. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    He deserved it and this thread deserves to be moved to the NFL zone.
    Dash28 likes this.
  15. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Benched

627 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    My apologizes......my bad.

And. I'm a little older...... I've seen Darren Woodson make thst hit every weekend. I've made those hits.....safeties were paid millions. And made teams becusse they made those hits,.....,

I guess I'm just having a hard time changing,,,,,,,,,I may be wrong here,,,,,,,but.......i dunno........
    BigStar, dallasdave and pacboyX like this.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,184 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    For better or worse, the game, and therefore the safety position, is evolving. There really is no room for a thumper in the secondary anymore.
  17. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,858 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    No problem bro.

I think safety has to be considered. It sounds wimpy but I really don't want to see paralyzed bodies on the field. No reason to blast guys in the head and neck.
    CowboyFan4Eva likes this.
  18. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,722 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    Brandon Meriweather guide to tackling

Step 1: Pursue

Step 2: Take your eyes off the opposing player and point the crown of your helmet at your target.

Step 3: Forget you have arms and use the tackling formation you learned while watching that Discovery channel special about Rams (Make sure your heads collide or else you've failed).

Step 4: Wait for fine.
    Staubacher likes this.
  19. MathewSK81

MathewSK81 Active Member

130 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    He lead with his helmet on both those hits. I usually think they are too harsh with the flags on those sorts of plays but in this case they were pretty obvious.
  20. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    The hit on Marshall was cheap in any era.

The guy is a bum and should be suspended for the rest of the year given his history and that shot on Marshall.