1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Breakdown on Romo contract - really 4 for 65.5

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Matts4313, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

799 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Can you imagine a 40 year old Romo playing behind this line?????

[IMG]
  2. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

799 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I think I have clearly demonstrated Jerry Jones has no concept of evaluating talent and paying for it accordingly.

Only time will tell if your a moron or you have knowledge beyond your years.
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,337 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Any time Dallas has absolutely wanted to make a move it made a move.

A couple of years ago, we were supposed to have no cap space and Dallas was suddenly about to sign Nnamdi Asomugha to a big deal (glad that didn't work out).

Last year, as you stated, we added a high-priced corner and several other free agents.

Dallas has not been in cap hell since the earliest parts of free agency. It has been manipulating the cap ever since, working and reworking contracts to absorb dead money and open up space when it wants to.

The example this year is how it went about opening up space. It restructured contracts to absorb the penalty hit and get under the cap. Then it restructured deals to tag Spencer, re-sign Ladouceur and Sims. Then when it decided to add a couple of FAs, it made more moves to sign Durant and Allen on the cheap.

Now, I don't know if the Cowboys pressed forward with the Romo deal because it has its eyes on other FA or just because that's how it worked out, but now Dallas is $5 million out of "cap hell" and might not even spend it. (That's not counting the $2 million they get in June for cutting Spears.)
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,415 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    with only 55 million guaranteed and a 25 million signing bonus, we have 30 million left in guaranteed

2013: $1.5 million
    2014: $13.5 million
    2015: $17 million

32 million so all the guarntees are paid in the first three years, cutting Romo after 2015 will be around a 10 million cap hit saving 5 million so he probably stays the 2016 year and he released after 2016
  5. gimmesix

9,337 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I know that it's you're not your, so I guess that's your first clue.
  6. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,447 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    You're fighting a losing battle, albeit a valiant one. You make some very good arguments. Maybe you'll get through to some folks, but don't count on it. If someone is dead set on thinking something, facts don't change their minds.
  7. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,019 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    How about that chromed-out Cowboys helmet on the table? Something like that w/ a shiny blue star would look pretty cool
  8. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,275 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    You haven't met Floaty???
  9. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Let's just forget the dust bowl Jerry created the last time he did this, right?
  10. gimmesix

9,337 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    When are you talking about? Are you talking about the years after it signed players like Deion Sanders?

If so, then that's when Dallas didn't have a handle on the cap. The Cowboys as much as admitted it and since then have worked contracts in such a way as to keep it from happening again. They actually said there were mistakes and learned from it.

Those mistakes stemmed from Dallas' success in the early 1990s. When the salary cap came about, the Cowboys were trying to hold on to their expensive (at the time) core group while adding a few high-priced pieces for one more shot at glory.

As I said, they've become good at manipulating the cap since then.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,498 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Derrrrrrr....how was that argument.

You'd apparently rather he sit on his hands under his wallet, because many Owners do just that.

The Salary Cap truly doesn't exist in Big D. :laugh2:

Dallas refused to sit idle with Nagy, Costa, Free, Kowaloski and Arkin even applauded that they signed Berny plus Livings.

Yes so far it's been a "No Go" and a big huge BUST all over the OL save, Tyron Smith, the concept just didn't work out like it did for the G-Men or for the 91' Dallas Cowboys.

This Offseason or Draft has yet to play out...one should choose to let the Front Office have that rope to hang themselves, even though they have been flailing for 17 years and counting.
  12. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,345 Messages
    887 Likes Received
    You can't be serious can you because if you are give us all some stock tips and next years Super Bowl winner. Your entire post was written as if Romo retired five years ago.

I do agree he could been more serious when he was younger but if I was him now aI would want to stick it to a whole lot of people. Lets get hIm a line and let it play out.

13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,716 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    That'll be eight years from now. The only person still playing on the OL by that time will be Smith. Doubtful even Romo will still be playing.
  14. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Yep, we are going to have the same OL in 7 years from now, even though not one is signed to that length of a contract. :rolleyes:
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Lower his base salaries for 14 and 15 makes the deal longer than 4 years unless the team wants to carry a bunch of dead money after those 4 years.
  16. gimmesix

9,337 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    It increases the bonus cap hit for each year, then will either be redone after four years or Romo will be cut/retire and the cap hit will be absorbed by other restructured deals.

It's a cycle of restructures.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Yeah, but reduce 14 and 15 and we're talking about a cap hit probably above $15M to cut him or have him retired.
  18. gimmesix

9,337 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    It's possible. Considering the price of the position, he'll probably be designated a June 1 cut to split the cost, then we'll restructure a player like Tyron Smith to turn a $12 million base (or something like that) into bonus the first year and Dez Bryant the next, or something like that.

What will make it easier is we'll either draft that year or have drafted a quarterback who will cost hardly anything capwise during those years, if Dallas does it right.

Where it will get more difficult is if Dallas doesn't find a replacement in the draft during Romo's final year or so. Then it will take more creative restructuring to pay for a FA quarterback and Romo.

This contract is clearly set up to restructure 2014 and 2015 for the cap next year, and others' contracts will be set up to be restructured to help when it's time to release Romo.
  19. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received

Gimme, do you mean to tell me that you understood that gibberish? The post made no sense! I am still trying to figure out why I will be wishing for 5-11 seasons.
  20. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This post right here. It's amazing people think that simply restructuring all that money to signing bonus, that it just magically goes away. It still has to be paid.