1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Breaking Down The Pass-Rushers

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Mar 5, 2012.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Going through this process I normally have a pretty good feel on the pass-rushers in a draft. But this year, there are 4 names who are all grouped pretty close together in the first round. I would like to hear some arguments on who is the best pass-rusher in this class.

Melvin Ingram - DE/OLB - By most people's account, Ingram is the best pass-rusher in the class. He provides versatility and is a player-maker. I seriously doubt Ingram makes it to #14 however.

Courtney Upshaw - OLB - Again, by most accounts the #2 ranked pass-rushers. I came away unimpressed by his play and as SDogo mentioned, he reminds a lot of people in Dallas of Anthony Spencer. How much would he bring to this team?

Whitney Mercilus - DE/OLB - NCAA's most productive pass-rusher in 2011. Is a one year wonder who has tremendous athletic ability and high upside.

Nick Perry - DE/OLB - Matt Miller of New Era Scouting as Perry as his #5 overall prospect. Another terrific athlete who should have been more productive in school. Graded out higher on the "explosive scale" than Von Miller and Clay Matthews. But is he Von Miller or Vernon Gholston?
  2. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see Ingram as a dynamic playmaker, but not as the best pusher available.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think Ingram is the best of the OLB prospects for the 3-4 including all-around ability and pass rush ability. If he is on the board when we are on the clock he should be the pick. If he comes close to our position and we can trade up without giving up the farm, I'd be happy to do that, too.

The other player I really like is Bruce Irvin. He plays with effort, has a good fram and is incredibly explosive off the snap. I really think that unless we go OLB in the first round, he should be the pick in the second. He can be our nickel rusher on day one and can hopefully transition to becoming our full-time OLB next year. I really don't know why he doesn't get more attention from the scouts but he really stands out on tape with his explosive upfield rush. Even if he were only a nickel pass rusher that is 60% of the snaps on defense so I could justify a second round pick on him for that alone.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a big Irvin fan too. But don't trip too much, how do you know our scouts aren't interested in him?
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I never suggested they weren't.

I don't really understand why he is rarely mentioned in the discussion about 2nd round OLBs.

You can't teach burst and he has got one of the best ones I have seen. It is very reminiscent of Von Miller to me the way he attacks OTs with speed and agility.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotcha.

When you said "I don't know why the scouts..." I assumed you were speaking about our team scouts, not scouts in general.

Bunting is really high on Irvin.

I think if Irvin can come in and be utilized much the same way Von Miller was in Denver he'll find some early success.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,842 Likes Received
    I think Melvin is the most versatile. I think his best position is MILB then SOLB. I think there are others who will be better pure pass rushers. My worry is that Melvin will be another Almost Spencer. If they play Melvin all over the place then his snaps go up and so does his worth.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Ingram's shuttle of 4.18 and 3-cone drill 6.83 puts him in the same league as the better edge rushers in the league.

Spencer is very pedestrian here - he just doesn't have edge rusher agility. You combine that with a lack of burst and almost zero pass rush moves and you have yourself a mediocre pass rusher.

I am pretty sure Ingram will be a 8-10 sack/yr guy in the NFL. He might even be a 12 sack guy playing opposite Ware.

Ingram should be the pick if he is on the board because he is exactly what this defense needs at OLB and his versatility can be utilized as a major weapon in Ryan's defense.
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like Ingram and Perry, but neither will make it to 14.

Upshaw has an awesome burst of speed, but he has issues shedding blocks. Some people can learn to shed blocks, some can't. Bobby Carpenter couldn't. I don't know about Upshaw.

Whitney Mercilus IMO would be the last player I would pick on this list. Not that he is bad. He is just the least talented of the bunch IMO.

I would probably take Ingram or Perry over DeCastro if they were there. I would not take Mercilus over DeCastro.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ingram's shuttle and 3-cone numbers would indicate that he has some ability to manuever around trash and locate a ballcarrier, as well as showing at a base level the hips to drop back in coverage, all of which are important aspects of playing the position.

However, the 10-yard split is the big indicator for edge rusher explosion off the edge. Ingram's 1.72 is below average for someone his size and indicates a lack of burst off the edge. His 4.79 forty was also disappointing for someone of his size.

For comparison's sake, Anthony Spencer's times were even better than Ingram's: 4.70 forty; 1.70 10-yard split
  12. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    And there is a player who I forgot to mention who should be listed with those top four. Dont'a Hightower is also rated very high among the scouts and "media scouts" as a pass-rusher. I would be very happy if he was the pick at #14.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    My favorite pass rusher of this class is Jake bequette.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Ingram doesn't have great burst but he is very agile and seems to be a more fluid athlete than Spencer. Spencer is just very stiff and when you combine that with lack of burst and no pass rush moves after five years in the league you have a pretty mediocre pass rusher.

I just believe Ingram's abilities will translate better into pass rushing than Spencer. If you look at last year's draft Aldon Smith didn't have great burst either but he racked up lots of sacks - he just didn't do it on pure speed.

Ultimately time will tell but I think the best pass rushers from OLB will be (in this order):

Bruce Irvin
    Ingram
    Whitney
    Perry
    Dontae Hightower
    Shea McLellin
    Upshaw

It's always interesting to come back to a topic like this and realize how far off the mark we end up being. :laugh1: