Breer: What The Cowboys Learned from Picking Prescott

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plankton, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

7,002 Messages
    6,685 Likes Received
    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/20/aaron-hernandez-suicide-nfl-impact-notebook

In January, I did a story with Cowboys COO Stephen Jones on Dallas’ potentially franchise-altering rookie class. And in the course of our talk, he raised something interesting to me—the team was going to look hard at what he viewed as its biggest draft slip-up. That was waiting until the fourth round to scoop up Dak Prescott.

On Wednesday, I circled back with him to see what he and his scouting staff had identified as the “miss” on the 2016 NFL Rookie of the Year.

“The biggest thing for us, and we’re trying to see how we’ll cultivate it and do better with this, is how you differentiate when you say, ‘this guy’s got great football character, the ‘it’ factor, he’s a leader,’” Jones said from his office. “How do you quantify that in good vs. great, and great vs. rare. That’s probably what we missed the most with Dak.

“We underestimated how just rare his leadership skill and his football character were. That contributed to his maturity, in terms of being able to walk in the door and have success at our level so early.”

So there’s our offseason lesson of the week, with the draft a week away: Talk of intangibles may sound corny, but a guy’s makeup matters and even more with the quarterbacks than anyone else. Which is to say, when people say Deshaun Watson is off the charts in that area, you should listen; and when Davis Webb and Pat Mahomes are positioned as gym rats, pay attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Floaty

Floaty The Labeled One

5,241 Messages
    2,917 Likes Received
    What Cowboys learned was.....It's better to be lucky than good.:rolleyes:

3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

39,162 Messages
    47,431 Likes Received
    I'm not reading all that. They made the pick. They have to live with it. I have no faith it won't happen again.

4. Trouty

Trouty Dakistani Zone Supporter

14,515 Messages
    34,887 Likes Received
    Double negative; you're saying you have faith it'll happen again :)

5. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

16,474 Messages
    2,602 Likes Received
    So now they might reach next time, got it... lol

radioactivecowboy88 and tyke1doe like this.
  6. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

2,292 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    That's exactly what I thought when I read it! I was like "Oh, no...now we're in for guys who aren't as good but by golly, they LOVE football and are really nice."

CowboyFan74 likes this.
  7. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

11,491 Messages
    4,375 Likes Received
    Dallas had plenty of plenty of info on Dak. They were the 1st team to pick him and that is all that matters.

8. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

3,757 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    When Jones labeled Mahomes and Davis as "gym rats", was that a compliment or a knock?

9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

27,679 Messages
    19,242 Likes Received
    "Talk of intangibles may sound corny, but a guy’s makeup matters and even more with the quarterbacks than anyone else."

It's hard to believe that teams, media and fans don't already know this about QBs, but they all seem to forget.

I've said many times that I don't like to even post opinions on QBs in the draft because I can't interview them. IMO, most QBs that get drafted have the physical ability to play QB in the NFL. It's the mental makeup that makes or breaks them.

The hard part is that it's not always the same mental makeup. Dak and Romo have significantly different personalities.

The common trait in great Olympic Athletes, especially the ones that are in developed skill competitions (gymnastics, figure skating, etc..) more than raw athleticism (track, etc..) is that they are great at taking coaching (constructive criticism). Many people just can't take constructive criticism. Work-ethic alone is not enough if a player (especially a QB) can't thrive on constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism is like feedback in a closed loop system. If you ignore the feedback below (temp sensor), then the output (room temp) will go haywire.

[​IMG]

10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,804 Messages
    10,866 Likes Received
    I agree. We picked him in the fourth. No one else picked him before we did.
    Why are we obsessing whether we should have taken him earlier? If you can get a Mercedes-Benz for $60,000, why would you pay $100,000 for it?

11. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Well-Known Member

7,804 Messages
    4,432 Likes Received
    Early in his career Romo was a gym rat too... it's a good thing.

12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

35,814 Messages
    16,979 Likes Received
    Well, I like that they aren't pounding their chest, but instead being honest.
    I'm impressed

Trouty, drawandstrike and haleyrules like this.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

35,814 Messages
    16,979 Likes Received
    Compliment, of course

haleyrules and Trouty like this.
  14. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

6,543 Messages
    5,810 Likes Received
    Dak going in the 4th round was clearly a league wide error. He should have been a first round pick. The fact that the Cowboys took him does not does not eliminate the error.

If there is such a thing as a "positive error", Dak was it. But it was still an error. Dak was mislabeled on the Cowboys draft board. The fact that he was mislabeled by everyone else does not mitigate the error.

I think it is a good thing to try to understand why Dak was mislabeled. It's not good enough to just say "we got lucky". It must be looked into in order to draft better in the future.

15. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

3,757 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    I guess, but I can also interpret it as he looks the part, but not much going for him between the ears or shows much in terms of leadership qualities.

yimyammer likes this.
  16. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

20,358 Messages
    9,641 Likes Received
    I think the success of Dak may very well change what a lot of teams look for when drafting a QB. Especially if that QB is expected to start right away.

Trouty and JJHLH1 like this.
  17. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

4,522 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    Take your pick

Even a blind squirrel......

Don't look a gift horse.....

18. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

5,890 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    I could really listen to Stephen Jones talk all day. A refreshing departure from the cinge-worth Jerry comments.

19. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

9,228 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    Then back when Jerry was drafting :rolleyes: we had no luck at all.

haleyrules likes this.
  20. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

9,228 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    How about trust in Will McClay.

haleyrules and Bullflop like this.