1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brian Waters impact will be five-fold

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Sep 13, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    Everybody pretty much knows now that Brian Waters was once a great NFL guard. Some are now coming around to the idea that he might still be. And an overwhelming percentage now believes that, whatever he is, he's better than Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Me, I think he's going to be the best offensive lineman on the team, simply because there's no history of injury and guard is more a position of strength than sheer athleticism. Age isn't the issue as much as health, and Waters has a history of being a very sturdy, healthy football player. Brute strength is far more hereditary than gym-built, and Waters has it.

That, however, only scratches the surface of what this signing can mean. The impact is five-fold, if not more.

1. Waters provides the third wheel of a much stronger interior line, and that means a consistent pocket for Tony Romo.

2. Diversity in the rushing game. Where did Dallas run last week? To the left side, over and over. The Giants knew that, so even when Murray cracked through for a nice game, it was limited with the overload. Can't do that once Waters is established full time. Right or left? The defense will now have to guess and risk more.

3. Waters will benefit Frederick and Leary hugely. Despite a solid game, we're kidding ourselves if we think Frederick doesn't need experience. Waters is right next to the rookie to help, and he can tutor and mentor Leary all season nicely. Arkin stands to gain, too.

4. Waters will make Free better. The turnstile of junk that played right guard a year ago put Free out there on an island and ripped his confidence to shreds. He was vulnerable to edge and inside pressure, as well as any stunt a team could throw at Dallas. A solid veteran player inside him will do wonders. Free had a good offseason and is playing better than a year ago.

5. This isn't a one-year solution. If this goes well, Jerry no doubt will step up and pay the freight again in 2014. Waters only wants to play here, and if he plays well, we can do this one-year deal thing for as long as it works.

It's because Smith and Frederick were good draft picks, and Leary and Free are average if not better, that this signing is going to have a terrific impact. No, you can't just sign a guard and move the ball with ease. But when it's a final piece to an offensive line puzzle, perhaps you can.

Every player on the offense is going to benefit from this. Watch.
  2. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    You just jinxed him
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    So he owes me a Coke.
    DuceizBak and Rhubarb like this.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    curb your enthusiasm a bit. first he has been out of football for a year. timing is off. it will take time for it to come back. and every one is fantasizing brian waters of two years ago. NE had a good OL to begin with, he just complemented it. here we expect him to be the man in the middle. different role.

but with that said, he is better than mckenzie beaurdi....
  5. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,040 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    All good points. He also knows what it takes to win a championship. I think his locker room presense will be a huge help.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    He is fat, old, and out-of-shape; a shell of his former self that hasn't played in two years and just eats all the time, and can't learn the playbook quickly, and should have been signed three years ago, but not now. Can't even bench press 700lbs, please.
    50cent, bark and texbumthelife like this.
  7. kruddy

kruddy Duffer

131 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    We need players with his resume he could well play 3 or more years like Bruce Mathews did.
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    he knows how to get to a championship
  9. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,930 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    I really think Fred is picking his brain gleaning as much wisdom as he can.
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    He knows more about sucking though given his time in KC
  11. AbeBeta

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Leary talked about Waters jumping in and mentoring all the young guys. That is going to be huge
  12. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

860 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Lol I can't tell if this is sarcasm but really hope so.
  13. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,180 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I hope he gets at least 30-40 snaps, then more as the season progresses and as he gets back into game shape. Sure, he'll be fine strength and technique wise, but he'll be winded - which will lead to less than optimal effectiveness and potential injury - unless his conditioning up to snuff.

I get a big smile on my face when I think about what his experience and skillset will bring to our OL, and what that will do for both Romo and DM29. Romo will finally have adequate time to find his very potent weapons down field and DM29 will be able to finally show why I think he's the best back we've had since Emmitt. These two are as talented as you can find in tandem but it's hard to show it unless the OL does their part. With Waters on board, I believe we'll start to see what this team can do starting Sunday. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds.
  14. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    ill just be thrilled if he plays, a lot can go wrong and usually does for this team. Lets just hope the back ups dont figure like this board does and work hard knowing there is a better than average chance they will be earing their checks.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    you do know the difference between playing QB and OL right? Timing is not really a concern for a guard.
  16. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,040 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    Really? SMH
  17. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,956 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    So, we add a little water(s) to our fledgling offensive line and we will see how they grow

these guys are more than a line with Waters in there, I need to call them something else....the Cable? The girder?
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    There are tons of reasons it is great to have Waters in Dallas.

Certainly, him passing his knowledge along to the younger guys would be high up on the list.

His aggressiveness is really important in my mind. So much of playing on the OL is attitude. Waters has always wanted to dominate his man and that is easy to tell from watching him play the game. He plays all the way to the whistle and then a little more, as they say. It is just a mean streak that he plays with that is really impressive to watch. You can tell he wants to put his guy on the ground. Both Leary and Frederick are big, bruising guys, and they will watch the way Brian plays and how he tries to bury his guy. Frederick in particular has a bit of a mean streak himself, so it shouldn't be a huge leap for him to play with that edge that Waters had for so long. Football players always look at the highly successful guys around them and they naturally pick up their habits and their ways. Having Waters for the young guys to watch is an absolutely terrific thing.

Waters is very strong, but it's not just weight room strength that he has. He's just a country strong guy that has a very stout core. For defensive linemen trying to bull rush Waters is a nightmare. The guy just doesn't go backwards. What makes him so great though is how mobile he is, even at his size. His feet are great for a big man, and DT's eventually just have to give up when trying to get around him... and they certainly can't go through him.

He is a fantastic pass blocker but he's an even better run blocker. Waters has an innate understanding of leverage and angles as well. I remember reading an article years ago about how important an understanding of those things are to offensive linemen. That knowledge is vital and separates the good one's from the great one's... and Brian Waters has always been a great one.

In that article, they went on to say how many little nuances are involved with offensive line play. How there are a million tricks of the trade for OL, and how that information was passed down from the old guys to the new guys. For a few years now Dallas hasn't had the old, grizzled vet to pass that kind of knowledge down to the young guys. Maybe Flozell Adams would fit that description, but I'm not so sure he's the best guy to be teaching the new kids on the block.

However, Brian Waters is the textbook example of an old vet who can impart his knowledge on the young guys. He's perfect for that role.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Dallas OL hasn't had a good, old vet to pass along his understanding for the game... his tricks of the trade, so to speak. Not until now.

Waters is a really good player. He was one of the best guards to play the game. He did it with his physical traits... but he also did it with attitude, an understanding of leverage and angles, a ton of heart, and a **** load of football smarts. These things he can pass along to Frederick and Leary... and all the other guys for that matter. Frederick already is a damn good OL. I can't wait to see what he does after learning a few games playing next to Waters.

This year, Dallas is going to start winning its share of trench warfare in a big way.
    cowboys1981 and 03EBZ06 like this.
  19. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Well, my son should be right on schedule he's 6' 41/2" 292 and just put up 335 lbs...and he's only a junior in HS.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  20. AbeBeta

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    If he gets 30-40 he is starting and not leaving the field the next week