1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Answer Pretty Clear When Evaluating Both Guards

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    To say that a player in his late twenties entering into his sixth season hasn't had a career is just idiotic.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    So you've researched and evaluated all of them and have some sort of system for grading how well they played? I'd love to see it.

My issue wash with your assertation that its a fact any lineman taken outside the 1st has virtually no shot to be a factor. It's a blanket statement with no actual facts behind it. And the further we get from another embarrassing season-ender, the more people will start believing it, like usual.

There may be a lot of positions that need help but I'll say what I've been saying for years: until we don't have to worry about the trench players, we'll be spinning our wheels. It's very hard for people to shift gears from running backs, wide receivers, and cornerbacks but if you want consistency and toughness, it starts with the big guys.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,161 Likes Received

PFF grades all players.

Nope, I didn't say (or I didn't mean to say) that lineman taken outside the first round aren't worthwhile, it's just you probably aren't going to get instant, positive production of them... Meaning, help for the 2013 season.

Obviously it's a good idea to "bank" players like Arkin and hope they develop.

But the offensive line needs help immediately.
  4. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    No need to insult. Thats easy to do behind a computer screen, but what I was trying get across was that Bernadeau has been in the league, but he was a raw project that until this year, has never seen extensive playing time. Hes a work in progress, but showed enough potential imo, to be a solid player. Not an All pro bowl player necessarily, but a good player, serviable starter, whatever you wanna call it.
  5. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,161 Likes Received
    Bernadeau did play better later on in the season... Could be some reason for optimism.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Anyone that takes PFF seriously really needs to pass football 101
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,161 Likes Received
    Feel free to give us your rankings of the top 64 guards, top 64 tackles and the top 32 centers in the NFL.

It's real easy to criticize someone else's efforts, but a little tougher to actually rank players.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    garbage is garbage. And PFF is garbage.

Using flawed formulas and stupid reasoning- some people think that is better then nothing. And they are completely wrong.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Of course it's better than nothing.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,641 Messages
    3,161 Likes Received
    And that's what Burms gives us... nothing.

He just gripes about PFF and offers nothing.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    This is my take as well. I see one OT and one interior OL added at least draft/FA.
  12. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Serviceable RTs, G, and Cs can be found in the fourth round.

Need to decide what your priorities are. Do we add bodies to the DL, as Broaddus has often suggested, or do we go hog wild on the OL?
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, Dallas has proven they cannot find serviceable RTs, Gs and Cs in the fourth round.

OL and DL are probably the two biggest needs on this team. Both are fairly deep in the draft this year, so I hope they are addressed early.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....and have proven they struggle to find them in early rounds too. (looks like Smith will be exception to this however) Heck, even when they DO find a guy that can play, they cut him loose too early: Stephan Peterman has been real solid with Detroit. We gave up on him too early. I will say this though..............the more I analyze other teams in this league they have horrific issues on their olines too:

Bears, Jags, Pack, Jets,Cards,Philly, Dolphins,Chiefs,Lions, etc....and have for years. It is probably the hardest position to draft for. I'd say address it thru free agency but that failed last season with Livings and Bernadeau because the SIMPLE fact is, who in the heck would let a good lineman go in Free Agency?

Last thing I'll say is this thread is SO typical of this board: who CARES if PFF is legit or not? I don't NEED to read the article because I have two eyes and a brain. I've watched pro football since 1978 and our oline SUCKS. It doesn't pass the eyeball test in terms of being affective, efficient, or nasty. THey are a bunch of JAGS except for Smith who isn't where he needs to be yet. That's the bottom line.
  15. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Four of our O-lineman aren't JAGS. They would have to improve ten-fold to even be average.
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's the problem. Incompetence at the top.