1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus Discusses Right Tackle, Zimmer, playing Cincy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Glad I'm not the only one. I was expecting to get some eye-rolls for it.

Smith, though, was giving up a lot of pressure that I didn't remember, either. He kept it in front of him, at least. That PHI front isn't shabby, though. They're not the reason that team gets beat. Especially with the pressure coming off the edge.
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think coachscout detailed this quite well. It's also verified by Jerry and his "hand punch" comments. He's playing too passive and setting back too quickly on his set, and it's allowing defenders to get into his pads and push him back... which is pretty much Graham's best move. They corrected in the second half by letting him fire out almost like he was run blocking. It's easy to say that a player needs to play a lot more aggresssive, but it's hard to implement in practice when a snake bitten player has absolutely zero confidence at the moment.
  3. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The usual suspects will be here later... just wait!

:cool:
  4. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Free hasn't played as poorly as some claim, it's just that his poor plays have been so egregious that the jr. high all star on his couch can notice them and rant so the mediots have picked up on it.

If you grade on a simple, plus, neutral, negative scale, Free grades better than Smith as he has more positive and neutral plays. If you grade on the +5 to -5 scale, Smith grades out slightly better due to the Free's few really, really bad plays a game.

Free's biggest issue is that he lacks dominant physical attributes that can make up for a technical error so he ends up chasing himself. The jump to the left then back really hurt his footwork so he ends up playing tall at times which is usually when we see the terrible play.

I have almost no concerns about Free going forward, next season and beyond. My biggest concern for next season is Costa's health then the development of Smith, then RG.
  5. Idgit

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    This is great detail. Thanks.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,429 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    What people say on this forum doesnt count as words to go by. I hear that Free is struggling from announcers and ex players but none even come close to what people on this forum say

I think once they stop moving Free from RT to LT which they wont do anymore. He'll settle back down
  7. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree that Coachscout made some great points about Free. He also acknowledged that he's a pretty good run blocker. Many, including myself, have overlooked this aspect of his play. The main issue with Free as I see it, is something that seems to be prevalent with more than a few players on this team. Pride, Will, Desire, and the Refuse to Lose mentality. You can't be 6ft6 and 325 lbs. and get regularly bull rushed by guys smaller than you. I fully understand that having good technique helps, but Free is not very strong for a man his size and he also appears to be a little fragile mentally IMO.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,773 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    You do not even make sense anymore.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,236 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    i see it as Was then us then giants
  10. Idgit

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    I think I'm worried about the injuries on defense for us more than anything else. That Giants schedule is brutal, I agree.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    I'd like to cut to the chase and get away from these back and forth 'shades of gray'.

Anyone happy with the job Doug Free is doing and feel that he's worth the salary he's being paid, now or in the future?

Simple yes or no is sufficient.

Put me down as a NO.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,773 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    No ......he has played poorly his year.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,165 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Thanks.