1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus DL should be first pick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I would have to agree, it would be very foolish to get rid of TRat if we move to the 4-3. I could see the reasoning for him leaving if we are in the 3-4, but in the 4-3 he has to stay cause we have too many other holes to fill.
  2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Leon Lett was about 6-6 or 6-7 with arms forever. That is not Ratliff. Ratliff is maybe a grumpy Maryland or Casillias.
  3. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I'm not worried about DT at all, half the guys we have could play it. If we lose Spencer, we have no DE and we still don't have a LB on the strong side.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received

Doesn't really matter what we see him as. The rest of the league sees him as a 34 OLB. That's what will drive the money IMO.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    The only real 0 or 1 is Calloway.
  6. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    Exactly , you hit it right on the money
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    No, this is not true. In a 43, because you are lighter across the DL, you have to have a very powerful, very physical 0 or 1 Technique to cover up your MLB. If not, he's going to get pinned and your going to get run on all day. When spencer leaves, our LDE will be Crawford. Our LOLB will be Sims, Wilbur, Popponga, Lemon or Butler. Could also be a Draft Pick.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    Sims and Lemon would be perfect. Im hoping for sims to be resigned to start
  9. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well my point is we have to be able to use the guys we have for something, TRat and Hatch would be fine there. Crawford was being groomed to be a 3-4 DE, do you really think he has the burst, quickness, and talent to play on the outside in a 4-3...I don't.

Pass rushers are a premium position, and have to be taken high or you won't get one. If we do indeed lose Spencer, that DE spot becomes the number 1 spot to replace and we still don't have the LBs or safeties for the conversion.
  10. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,008 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Sorry but I dont see them picking a guard,they almost picked Dl last season.
  11. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,880 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I personally think Spencer is a better OLB than DE. He gets locked-in on blockers when he doesn't play in space. And one of his strengths is actually his versatility including coverage.

I definitely think he is gone if we go 4-3. He isn't worth 11M as a DE.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    He did it at Boise St. very, very well. You want your LDE to be stout against the run in the 43. One end is usually cat quick and the other is usually strong against the run. I think he will be very good in that position. It's almost the same role as a 34 Strong Side OLB.

We have the pass rusher. We have the LBs as well IMO. I would not be surprised to see us take another LB high but we will see.
  13. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well I guess you have alot more hope for Crawford in the change than I do presently, and as for LBs of course we have Lee and Carter who can make the conversion, but I'm scared of the other spot.

The potential of Crawford is great to dream about, but as far as proven players in the NFL I would rather roll with TRat and Hatch in the middle than depend on Crawford on the outside.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,473 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    I'm still not. Don't pay age. We need to get younger.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If lose Spencer that defensive end bunch is perilously thin from having any pass rush skill. The 3 technique guys (Rat. Hatcher) are all over 30. We don't have a 0,1 unless it is the prodigous talents of Calloway and Price. We are at least a depth lb short.

Crawford Calloway Ratliff Ware
    ??? Price Hatcher ???
    ??? ???? Lissmore ???

Albright Lee Carter
    Wilbur Lemon ???

You really can't remodel the front 7 and the offensive line at the same time.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received

The potential of Crawford is great to dream about, but as far as proven players in the NFL I would rather roll with TRat and Hatch in the middle than depend on Crawford on the outside.[/QUOTE]

I do. He's basically learning how to be a 34 DE. He already knows how to be a 43 DE. That should mean that he plays with more flow and allows his instinct to dictate how to react. I think it will be better for him.

As for Rat and Hatch, well, as I have said a few times, they are both 3Tech DTs. Neither is really big enough or strong enough to play 0 or 1 IMO. More then that, I think Rat is gone.
  17. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    My problem is I question us doing all this right now.

Jerry is really out on a limb on this one cause we are nowhere near ready to switch this D to a 4-3 and make other changes that need to be made to the team.

Seems like a move out of desperation to have some change to sell fans on, without actually considering all the resources it will take for such a change.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received

I agree, but that's where we are at.
  19. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,963 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Terrell Eldorado Owens.
  20. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Its just a different game from colllege to the NFL, where guys are moved around to where their talents are best used. I'm sure they will try Crawford there if we make the change, guess we will see what happens.

TRat has played the nose, and in the conversion he could play the 0 or 1....problem is I get the idea that you want him gone regardless. Sure he might be better at the 3, but I do think TRat could play either spot.