1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus from Combine on Jonathan Cooper

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 21, 2013.

1. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    I think its mainly the media who fall for it.
  2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Do not overlook Kentucky's Larry Warford. Dude is a mauler.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,086 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    I think we can get good value if we go dline in round one and attack the Oline and safety after that

That is also assuming BPA
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,779 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Scouts' don't, the media and draft gurus do.
  5. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,001 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I think Alvin Bailey is going to bring the best value among the guards. Really don't see that big a difference between he and Cooper except that one goes in the first and the other the third.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,767 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    Nice post.
  7. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

855 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Wasn't Decastro "the best guard prospect in years" and a "tactition who will go top ten" and then fell to 18. I bet one of these two are there. Problem I Jerry likes to draft a guy he can sell jerseys for. Guards don't usually sell many (FYI I don't mean to turn the convo to a bash Jerry thread)
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,767 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    Actually he fell to 24.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    5,595 Likes Received
    I agree.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,758 Messages
    1,854 Likes Received
    True but Broaddus said he spoke to Gms and scouts and alot of them said they saw Cooper gone before 18. From the ones he spoke to.
  11. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    There are 2-3 more teams switching to the 3-4. which means they need Nt/DENDS/ OSLBS. If those teams pass on the oslbs do you really think they will make it past the ravens, steelers or Houston? DO teams draft a guard, high when they can get guards thru the 3rd round that could start? Don't discount the sexy picks high. And if the guards are gone, somebody really good has to fall out and be there at 18. I have no problem taking warford at 18, the guy is a beast. Having said that when you are a bad team that needs skill players and playmakers, it is really hard to justify drafting a guard high.
  12. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    If we are having to put Warford on the Menu at 18 one of the three tech Dlineman will fall if that is the case that contains no worries IMO. This also brings into play the huge talent pool at DE this year really no worries IMO. I do agree after Warford the OG talent drops, with Alvin Bailey, Justin Pugh, and Barrett Jones being the next level for play at OG with Jones also excelling at Center.
  13. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,470 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    2012 David DeCastro was the story at guard. Everybody was hyping him and he fell to 24.

Guards are never seen as a high value pick. They tend to fall. I dont think there will be two guards taken before the 18th pick. Its just against the way teams evaluate this position.

And that's why i think we wont pick a guard at that position either.
  14. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,836 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    It's my hope that teams get nervous about QB's and reach for the Barkley's of the world...there are plenty of teams that need a QB and perhaps a few could go before 18...that frees up other players that would be on our board.

Go QB's in the combine!!!!
  15. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    You may have a low opinion of our guards, but if you think Dallas will select a guard at #18, I think you are delusional. The best guard in the draft could be sitting there, and there's no way we will select him in round one at 18.

You can upgrade the guard position in round 2,3, or 4. We need help at DL and safety, and those guys are better picks early than OG, regardless of need.

If we were to consider OL in round one, I think it would be for RT before a guard.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This is the type of thinking that kept Romo behind a bad line.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,094 Messages
    1,079 Likes Received
    I'd argue with the idea he "fell". All the right boxes were checked with DeCastro and he went where he should have gone. It happens every year - by the time people get done reading all these articles about these hot prospects, it seems like there will somehow be 25 prospects taken before the 18th pick.

Also, keep in mind Broaddus LOVES Cooper and he's not above playing favorites. Everytime he talks about Warmack, he makes sure to mention his perceived limitations (strictly a guard, strictly a mauler, not athlethic, etc), but I don't think I've heard him say a bad thing about Cooper yet.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    at least he is consistent. Just like Jerruh and his shiny toys
  19. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

986 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I understand that typically guards drop further than their projected predraft rankings, just have a feeling guards and centers might go earlier in this years draft.
    The Cowboys were definitely not the only team in this league with OL issues, but I still like our chances of getting one at 18.
    Its a need pick, but I dont agree that a Warmack or Cooper wouldnt be BPA at 18 either.
  20. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,517 Messages
    1,037 Likes Received
    I agree with regard to Cooper. If the choice was between Cooper, Richardson, or Floyd, at this point, I'd take Richardson or Floyd over Cooper.