1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus from Combine on Jonathan Cooper

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

984 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Thats the beauty of this draft, in that our major needs will more than likely be BPA anyway you look at it at 18.

Would I be thrilled with a Vaccaro at 18, personally not as much as a Warmack or Cooper, but if their both gone and Richardson, than I could live with this pick, and Im just guessing thats a worst case scenario at this point.

Outside of the war room going bi-polar on draft day and taking an Eddie Lacy, or a Justin Hunter pick ..lol ,, the pick at 18 will be a day one starter.
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,868 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    This.

Cooper may be DeCastro-lite in this year's draft and he (or Warmack) probably will be there at 18. Point is the Cowboys will take neither of them and go with a d-lineman instead. :D
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,679 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    Cooper has been measured and he has short arms at 33.08; only a little longer arms than Costa has.

Warford and Warmack both have longer arms; Warmack at 34.38
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I hope we pick up a decent OG in FA. It would take a lot of the pressure off.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    If we get to 18 and Warford is what is available--which is impossible, imo--then we would have to trade down to the late 1st and pick up a second rounder.

In fact, we are postioned to well to turn our 1st and 2nd into two late 1st rounders if we think the value is there.

18 th + 47th = about 27 and 29th or so. I'd require two trades though.

I think we'd be reaching to take Warford at 18 though. He'd help us for sure--and espcially in the redzone. But from what I've seen, he has some issues (consistency, lateral quckness from the snap, etc). I'd like him in the second though. He's a good player.
    jmo
  6. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,889 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    I doubt it. same thing was said about DeCastro last year, some even saying a top 10 pick.

guards look pretty now, but when push comes to shove, teams go for marquee positions, with players with potential.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,391 Messages
    4,946 Likes Received
    Center's go earlier. The Pouncey's were #15 and #18.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    Two guards before 18 is pretty much unheard of.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this projection.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,907 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Can't imagine at least one of the guards won't be there.

You don't have 17 teams in front of Dallas hankering to draft a guard. Teams have other needs that don't match the Cowboys.

If they do, that means a top tier pass rusher, tackle, or corner is going to fall our way. Teams don't pass up those kinds of players.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    For that matter, we don't don't even know if the Cowboys want to go for a guard that early.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,497 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Only, it's not really the Cowboys, it's Jerry Jones.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    I don't know. We heard last year that DeCastro was the best G prospect in years and he slid to 24.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,679 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    I agree that unless both of them absolutely blow everyone away in their drills that one of them will be there at 18

And Jerruh will pick a WR or trade back into the second round and get another injured LB.
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    I absolutely have zero faith that Jerry will ever take an interior lineman in the first.
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,868 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Given his history I would agree. No way I see Jerry drafting a guard in the 1st round when he can find a good one in the 2nd.
  16. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    man i hope we draft a G
  17. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll even consider trading Romo for Cooper.
    He is THAT GOOD folks!
  18. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,089 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    The one thing that you can predict about a draft run by the jones clan is that they are unpredictable. I just sit back and watch the show.
  19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Agree, the track record of guards that were picked high...upper end.. isn't great so many teams are scared off. I'd expect one of them to drop. Only 11 guards taken since 2000 in 1st round and most were late in the round. These two guys may change that but I don't see both going high. I think Pouncy went at 15 in 2011 and he had some drooling too.
  20. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Broaddus just tweeted that Cooper lifted 225, 35 times. Amazing!!