1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Minicamp Provides Competitive Dez-Mo Battle

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by speedkilz88, Jun 12, 2013.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Today I wanted to put the Scout’s Eye on a few plays that caught my attention from the Cowboys mini-camp practice.

· There was a point during the two minute work where things got very competitive between Dez Bryant and Morris Claiborne which I didn’t view as a bad situation at all. It started with Bryant lined to Claiborne’s side on 4th down and needing a first down to keep the drive going. Kyle Orton did the smart thing and noticed that there was a single safety in the middle of the field and Claiborne was going to have to make the play to the outside by himself. At the snap, Claiborne jams Bryant with his right hand, then bails outside to run with him. Orton’s eyes are with Bryant the whole time. Orton tries to fit the ball over the top of Claiborne who is in the body of Bryant. Claiborne is able to knock the ball away but the referee calls pass interference.

Later in the drive, Claiborne again is matched up with Bryant, again with single high safety. Claiborne jams Bryant who fights up the field as Orton again throws the ball to the outside. Bryant turns his body in the air to adjust to the flight of the ball, Claiborne tries to lean on Bryant to force him out but Bryant manages to get both his toes down in bounds for the catch

The next play, Orton again sees Bryant across from Claiborne. As he takes the snap, Claiborne again gets his hands on Bryant’s body so there is a little separation there. Orton floats the ball to the near pylon as Bryant goes vertical for it with one hand as Claiborne underneath him. Bryant comes down again with the ball but Claiborne uses enough force to cause Bryant to land out of bounds, incomplete.

read the rest
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...o-Battle/ec31054f-4508-4ec7-aad2-1f4c59a6971d
  2. SSWilliams31

SSWilliams31 Member

56 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    If you can D up Dez, you can D up most receivers in the league...can't wait till the season starts
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Proscout, thanks so much for putting your account of the practice for all us enthusiasts to read. It was great to read about those two young bucks going at it in practice.

This kind of competition: between players at the same position for playing time and between offensive and defensive players in 1-on-1 battles will sharpen everyone's skills so that we are better in the game. I think the old saying goes "practice like you play" if you want to get good.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,813 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Dez is a phenomenal player. I've never seen a receiver with quite his total package. His hand-eye coordination is exceptional, making his hands some of the best in the entire league. His athleticism is off the charts, giving him amazing balance and body control. He has natural strength that only a few people are born with (country strong), making him a handful for even the strongest DB's. And his competitiveness and on field energy are extremely high... the guy wants to be the best and absolutely loves football.

I realize I am biased... but I've never seen anyone like Dez on a football field.

If he keeps his head on straight, he is a hall of famer.
  5. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,213 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    He couldn't... PI twice on one drive....
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Proscout?
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    Broaddus posts here under the proscout moniker, even though it was speedkillz who posted Broaddus' article.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That is Broaddus username on this site.
  9. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......I was going to ask you about Michael Irvin but, Mike didn't have that kind of talent. HE was a WORKER though...I mean, NO one out worked him: similar to Jerry Rice in that regard. They both WORKED their way to hall of fame careers really. Dez is more talented than both of them. But....he has to develop the work ethic. I'll stay tuned and hope that he does, that's for sure.
  10. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    I hope Romo can trust Dez more this year in jump ball situations. They started off with shaky chemistry but finished pretty strong together last year.
  11. raichledog

raichledog Member

155 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Here's what I loved about the article. I don't care what corner you put on Dez - Revis, Sherman, Champ, Tillman etc. etc. - one on one I'll take Dez all day. In the 4 plays that Broaddus discussed, Mo is matched up man to man with no safety help. That's absolutely advantage Dez. You have one great catch (Dez does that a lot) with Mo draped all over him, another where Mo forces Dez out of bounds and a no-catch, and 2 questionable PI's - it's worth noting that Mo was able to knock the ball away on both plays so he was absolutely playing the ball.

2 young bucks trying to be the alpha. They will be doing this for many years to come, making each other better in the process. LOVE IT!!!
  12. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

312 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    The results aren't as important to me as the fact they are battling as hard as they are. Going at it 100% in practice against one of the best WR in the league is what's going to make Mo Claiborne better. I can't wait to watch him play this year.