1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Murray Protecting Pocket, Beasley Productive (OTA Notes)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,166 Messages
    5,715 Likes Received
    Here are some thoughts and observations after Tuesday’s practice during Organized Team Activities:
    • DeMarco Murray has worked his way back into practice and appears to be moving around well. There are traits that Murray has where I feel like he doesn’t get enough credit for his game. DeMarco Murray in my view is a complete back. If I can expand on what I mean by that complete back, it is one that runs the ball well, shows solid, dependable hands and can blitz pickup or make adjustments in the blocking scheme to help in the protection. Where Murray doesn’t get the credit he deserves is as a pass protector and you can see it when he is not in the lineup. As good as Phillip Tanner, Lance Dunbar and Kendial Lawrence have been at times, they do not have the understanding, awareness or skill level of Murray. In the blitz period, with the down and distance of first-and-10, Murray lines up off set to the left of Kyle Orton who is in the shotgun. At the snap, Kyle Wilber gets a heck of a jump on Tyron Smith, who is beaten off the ball badly. Murray sees what is happening, but instead of stepping up and getting in the way of Smith, stays wide which causes Wilber to have to pause. Smith then is able to adjust and along with Murray push Wilber to the outside. Orton feels the space, because Leary and Frederick have Hayden pinned inside, and is able to step up to make the throw. It was an outstanding, heads up play by Murray to not only help his tackle but give his quarterback a throwing lane, something these other young backs need to develop more.
    • Solid day for Cole Beasley, who has been in the shadows of the conversations about Bryant, Williams and Harris during these sessions. Where you think Beasley would struggle would be in the red zone where he doesn’t have much room to use his quickness, but he was outstanding in the one-on-one drills working himself open. There were several reps where he had his man on his heals making it hard for the defender to adjust to his routes. Beasley showed nice pace on his routes with little or no hesitation. Movements were quick and decisive. He in the blitz work, he was able to work inside out of the slot against Matt Johnson on a 3rd and 5 play, where he started up the field hard to the outside, then planted off his left foot which gave him direction and separation. Orton was able to read it all the way for an easy pitch and catch in front of Johnson. Beasley during these camps has been working both on the outside and inside out of the slot so that tells me that the offensive coaches are trying to find spots for him to be success.
    Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ductive-/5dfe2762-da71-47c3-8cce-dbca212666f3
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,240 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Durant might be the best offseason move this team made. If he can actually play the mike, that gives us three options there.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Thanks, WG. I love reading these; I just wish you could post more of the article--I can't click on links at work :(
  4. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,246 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    If Demarco stays healthy all year the Cowboys will be in the playoffs. I understand that is a big "if" though.

I hope Beasley makes it again, he is fun to watch, and seems to have a good rapport with Romo.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,472 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    Good stuff, I think Beasley will have an impact this year even with the additons of T. Williams. I wasn't thrilled with the defensive switch but I do like the fact that the Dline is just has to worry about attacking one gap now.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    will be interesting to see how things come together once romo gets back