1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Broaddus: Some Early Observations From Sunday's Scrimmage

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Jul 29, 2013.

1. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,814 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Broaddus: Some Early Observations From Sunday's Scrimmage
    Posted 2 hours ago

[IMG] Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

[IMG]

Some quick thoughts from my day in the radio booth:

• Thought the Red Zone period with the first offense was outstanding. This offense staff has done a much better job of taking advantage of Jason Witten in his ability to make plays down in that area. Just by the alignment, Romo knew that he had Witten in the middle of the field and it was going to be a big play. Miles Austin also had a nice play with a solid route down near the goal line out of a bunch formation. Witten and Williams were able to clear in front of him and Austin to the flat where Romo showed outstanding touch to get the ball on the line and in his hands.
    • Defensive tackle, Jason Hatcher played with some purpose today. With Ratliff on the sideline, Hatcher took reps at the under tackle while Sean Lissemore played on the nose. Hatcher attacked Nate Livings today, several times getting pressure up the field but it was when he was drawn off sides on a Tony Romo hard count where he became a one man wrecking crew. Hatcher played with the power and quickness that we have seen from him before but this time he managed to sustain it throughout and finish the drive which is something that he had struggled with in the past. Hatcher under these defensive coaches, is playing like a man that wants to be more than just a situational player. There have been too many times in his career where he starts a game with some fire only to fade throughout. His work today could be more of what we see in the future.
    see more:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...crimmage/bee48792-fd5c-495d-94d9-9e8340c3b943
    Duane and djmajestik like this.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,501 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    Surprising that Kowalski didn't show better.

Glad to hear of Webb doing some good things.
  3. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,642 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    Luv hearing this about Hatch. He's been my favorite since day one.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,206 Messages
    3,867 Likes Received
    Kowalski looked tired.

The good thing with Kowalski is that although he gives up ground to pass-rushers, he continues to stay between them and the QB. I would prefer that to the plays last year where Livings and Bernadeau sometimes just whiffed on a pass-rusher and gave him a free run to the QB. I saw the same thing with LG Ray Dominguez in the scrimmage. He is bigger than Kowalski and might not give as much ground on a bull-rush, but he would sometimes completely whiff on pass-rushers.

Arkin looks better than I expected.
    jobberone and dogberry like this.
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,119 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Is Fredrick no. 60? If so, he looked like he had a little trouble with power rushes up the middle.

Also, I only watched it once live, but on that Austin touchdown it looked like a defender could have leveled him before the GL but pulled up at the last second. Am I the only one who saw that?
  6. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,875 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    DC.com says #60 is Kowalski. Frederick is #70.
  7. texbumthelife

3,119 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Oh ok, then I agree with assessments he was getting pushed back. He did manage to stay between the defender and the quarterback, but I think that depth of penetration would at least least to a lot of tip/batted passes.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,206 Messages
    3,867 Likes Received
    Frederick is #70 and played 1st team Center. Kowalski is #60 and played 2nd team RG.

What is a GL?
  9. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    I'm guessing it stands for "goal line."
  10. texbumthelife

3,119 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Yeah, GL=Goal line
  11. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,328 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    The first team offense moved the ball decently. Smith and Free were good, Frederick was ok, Arkin didn't completely suck. Livings looked bad, trouble moving the feet.

Kowalski was getting beat pretty badly by the second team DL....very disappointing after the good reports up to this point. Costa looked good I thought, again it was against 2nd teamers. Rest of the OL was pretty bad.

Kowalski and Costa played a lot of snaps in their defense. I think they pretty much played almost all the second and third team snaps.
  12. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,587 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    It is concerning we have at least 3 of 5 OL spots up for grabs. Maybe 4. Does any other team in the NFL that is considered a possible contender have that situation?
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,442 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    Some would argue that is an overwhelming reason that many do not consider Dallas a contender.

I've heard no one...not one single person in the media.....say Dallas was a championship contender.

I'm really hoping the line is better than it seems to be right now.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,817 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    There arent really that many spots up for grabs.

LT, C, and RT are all set, despite what the coaches might want people to think. Livings is probably going to start at LG. Id be shocked if Smith, Livings, Frederick, and Free werent all starters. Its probably between Arkin, Leary, and Bernadeaux for the other G spot.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,363 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    I think there is really only one spot up for grabs and that's LG. And even that spot they hope Leary takes it. Center has been decided and I think Bernadeau is at least expected to be the RG once he gets out there.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,606 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well I'm hoping that both guard spots are still up for grabs, and its nice to at least mention Arkin's name in the conversation. I think its beyond reality to think we would start Leary, Fred, and Arkin in the middle, but at this time of year we can still dream about it I guess.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Rosario better step it up, BTW isnt it Andre:
    87Smith, AndreTE6-5267241Virginia Tech
  18. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,270 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Based on where they've had OG's lining up (putting Leary at 2nd team LG), it sure likes at least early on, it may be Livings vs Leary at LG and Bernadeau vs Arkin at RG. At least that's my WAG for the moment.
  19. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    I wonder if i'm the only guy still rooting for Parnell.
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,606 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah that sounds true at the moment, but I figure the best 2 will start regardless of left or right with the vets sticking to their positions if they win starting spots.