1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: Broaddus: Some Thoughts Entering Three-Day Minicamp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 11, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,183 Messages
    9,702 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys begin their mandatory three-day camp Tuesday, which will be the final opportunity for the coaches to work with the players before the start of training camp in July.

Here are some thoughts of what we will be talking about this week.

Last week during OTAs, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher received more work inside at the one and the three techniques, respectively. I am going to be very interested to see if that continues. Reports that I heard from the field were that Ratliff looked quick and powerful playing the three. I truly believe that if this defense is going to be successful, Jay Ratliff is going to have to play a huge role. When Ratliff was out of the lineup, it was Hatcher playing in that spot with Sean Lissemore and Nick Hayden working as the one.

Lissemore has been working with Ben Bass with the twos and that has been a nice combination. Bass has been one of those players that has looked a little better each practice and would not be one bit surprised if he makes that jump that we spoke about in training camp when the pads come on. I am liking the movement from the backup defensive ends as well. Tyrone Crawford looks stronger and Kyle Wilber more comfortable playing with hand down than as a linebacker.

During the rookie minicamp, I thought that B.W. Webb was the best player on the field. But since the veterans have joined the practices the last three weeks, I haven’t noticed him as much as I had before.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Minicamp/c51ee548-3197-4605-af70-76f791233b21
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Good stuff. Broaddus is really high on the idea of Costa at center and Frederick at guard.
  3. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    yeah I was wondering what happened to Webb in OTA's
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    :banghead:
  5. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    I actually think Costa has some game and if he is as smart as they claim he is we should be happy that he has pushed Fredrick over to the OG spot. I would be just fine with a Smith/Leary/Costa/Fred"/Free/Parnell" line. I think you would have a very young agile line here and it would really turn the fortune of this franchise when it comes to the OL. It would prove that they just need time to grow. I think that if Costa didn't get hurt last year he would've had a very good year.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,573 Messages
    5,514 Likes Received
    If Costa can show very good play at center then why not? I would much rather get the 5 best out on the field than to be strong at center but weak at Guard
  7. Doomsday101

81,573 Messages
    5,514 Likes Received
    Same here give me the best 5 guys to start.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,902 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    The obvious answer seems to be "because it's Costa." But I agree with you and think that Costa showed some promise at times last year. If he shows more consistency and can beat out the rookie fair and square, why not play him?
  9. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    Nah just listen to Talkin' Cowboys he is always bashing Costa and has admitted he is a Costa hater
  10. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Sorry I will disagree. Ive seen Costa slammed straight back into Romo countless times. Keep Fred at center! Let Costa have a shot at guard if anyone is moving.

Tex
  11. Doomsday101

81,573 Messages
    5,514 Likes Received
    I agree. I'm not for handing the job to Costa but if he can prove himself as a very capable center then not only do we strengthen center but we strengthen guard with Frederick.

People make things personal around here with players. I don't care what Costa has done or not done in the past only concerned of how he does now.

He has to go out and prove it on the field and if he can then great it helps this OL and it helps the Cowboys and to me that is what matters not some petty fan who does not like this guy or that guy or has some stupid pet cat.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,905 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    I am too.

Frederick looked awesome at wisc at guard and costa looked good for the 10 minutes he was healthy last year at OC.

Might be a way to boost the OL football IQ a bit. I don't dislike Bern but he has been hurt for the entirety of his two off-seasons here and we need a guy working int he off-season with the others. Not 1 growing better during the season after a terrible start.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,799 Messages
    2,340 Likes Received
    Broaddus really misses the obvious at times. As many others have remarked, it is clear the boys want Fredrick at center.

Only the costa homers do not get it
  14. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

13,781 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    This is something I've been really torn about. To me you always want to have your best players on the field and I'm having a hard time accepting that they might see Costa at center and Travis at right guard as the best option. Personally I'd rather see the reverse but you gotta go with what's best for the team.

I just hate using a 1st round pick on a player only to switch his position. I wouldn't mind dealing with the growing pains of just going with Tfred over Costa, there seems to be a lot more upside. On the flipside it's possible that Costa is finally 100% and therefore the better option. Callaghan is on it I'm sure... I'd really be annoyed if Costa started and Tfred sat on the sideline as a backup or vice-versa.. Those two (At this point) are far better options than a recovering from surgery Bernadeau...

From this point on Bernadeau should wait in the wings as an emergency backup primarily because he's still recovering from surgery and we have never seen him play at 100%. I will be very pissed off if he ends up starting at the beginning of the season.. Hell give me a healthy Kowalski over this old broken down mule...

We need healthy horses upfront not broken down mules... Hee haw!!!:mule:
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,500 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    That was what-- 2 years ago?

Times change.
  16. MichaelWinicki

34,500 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  17. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    I think one of those 2 Livings and Bearny are going to be gone. Bearny may have more value because he can play both OG and OC but to can Killer. I would perfer to keep the younger guy with more upside.
  18. MichaelWinicki

34,500 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    No question that unless a couple guys end up on the IR, there will be some interesting cuts to the offensive line come the end of August.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,905 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    Livings costs more to cut than keep. He's staying.
  20. MichaelWinicki

34,500 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Plus he played well last year contrary to the opinions of some.