1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Wilcox, Magee Both Showing Up More On Defense...Ratliff's back

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

Here are some thoughts after taking a moment to empty my scouting notebook from OTAs:

• From my scouting eye, it’s pretty clear that the defensive coaches would like to have Barry Church[IMG] as one of the starting safeties when the club opens the season against the Giants. Who the other safety is going to be opposite him will be a nice battle. Currently, Matt Johnson[IMG] is running with the first defense and rookie J.J. Wilcox[IMG] with the second group while veteran Will Allen[IMG] works to get himself back on the field. I have really liked what I have seen from Wilcox, who manages to always be around the ball when it is blown dead. He has shown more coverage awareness and skill that I remember observing at Georgia Southern. He has done a better job of matching up against these tight ends that all can get up the field in routes. He appears to have a feel for how to carry his man across the field and get his hands on the ball. He has the size, like Church in when the ball is down in the red zone and he has to be physical to gain position, he can handle that. On college tape he really showed the ability to react downhill to the ball in the running game but he has also shown some reactionary skill in coverage. Johnson hasn’t played poorly but there have been times in the scheme where Wilcox has shown up a little more. Church has also caught my eye with his play as well. There doesn’t appear to be any problems with his movement or confidence in his ability to break on a play.
    • I have said this on a couple of different occasions, but I thought I would get it down in black and white. With the way that Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan are using these tight ends in different packages, it appears that are going to play without a true fullback in this offense. I could easily see this club carrying four tight ends and all of them with similar skill sets. Newly signed Dante Rosario[IMG], like Witten and Hanna, can line up as the “F” and when these coaches get in a short yardage situation, they can bring “13” personnel on the field with Witten as the inline “Y”, Hanna as the “H” and Rosario as the “F”. With this personnel group it also allows them to attack defenses with play action because teams will try and match the heavy personnel with larger bodies. It’s nothing for Witten or Hanna to slip out if they have created a mismatch in coverage. Gavin Escobar[IMG] could also be in this mix most likely as the “H” until he gets a better understanding of how to play the “F” if the coaches have that in mind for him. We have seen Witten in the backfield as the “F” before but that was because Martellus Bennett struggled with it while John Phillips was injured. If Lawrence Vickers[IMG] was a dominate special teams player or even at times a consistent down after down blocker, I might have some different thoughts. I know he can catch the ball but his job is to block first and there are times where that has been a struggle. These tight ends give Garrett and Callahan several nice options to work with.
    Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Defense/fdd74077-0d3f-4fe4-b9e4-c1930e9aaf07
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,520 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    I can't wait for my pet cat Wilcox get into pads, also I love the fact that Ratliff now doesnt haver to deal with double teams. He will have a good year if he can stay healthy.
  3. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

704 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    *IF* Ratliff thrives in this scheme the way so many have believed he would, it will truly be a shame that we didn't make this switch earlier in his career. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in this scheme and can only hope he can stay healthy enough to be depended on.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,529 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    completely agree. I think you could make the argument that, to some extent, the 34 has really wasted Ratliff's career.
  5. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,114 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I agree but even then he still had pro bowl seasons as a 3-4 NT. That shows you how talented he really is.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I love that Wilcox is standing out-in a good way.

That was the one pick I really didn't like. But from the sounds of it, he's very instinctive.
  7. WoodysGirl

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    How so? He was a beast and an accomplished nose tackle in the 3-4.

If he becomes a beast and an accomplished DT in the 4-3 (ie, pro-bowler), then that means he's just one of those guys who is able to ball out in any scheme.

What could he do now that would be better than what he's done in his career so far?
  8. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

791 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    ... is that when Garrett implements this new offensive scheme (Erhandt-Perkins) and is able to fully utilize the TE's the way he has always intended and we win with it...

The media is going to say what a genius Callahan is and how if Jones didn't force Garrett to hand play calling duties over to Callahan, this would have never happened...
  9. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    No, they really won't. Only Cowboys fans will. And who cares anyway?
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,529 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Maybe wasted was too strong of a word. But he has only had 2 seasons with at least 6 sacks, and has never had more than 4 other than that. I think, in the 4-3, he could have a lot more 7.5 sack years, and the toll that eating up double teams has taken on him would be far less, allowing his career to be longer.

Of course its completely possible that he doesnt play better in the 43, but I dont think that's likely.
  11. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

791 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I'll get back to ya as soon as they do. But, it sounds like you don't care anyway... ;)
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Nate Newton said one day recently that Wilcox made a play of some kind every single practice he watched.

Which would be the truth.

But I have to disagree. They'll give JG tons of credit. Just watch.
  13. WoodysGirl

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    So basically, it's about the sack count. If he racks up a few more sacks, but produces the same amount of pressure he's always generated throughout his career, then would that match what you expected to see out of him in the 4-3?

As for the length of his career, he's been in the league 8 years, one of which was washed away due to injury, so basically 7 productive years. How many more years do you expect him to play? His current contract runs out in about 4, so that puts him at 12, 13 years if he plays the entire length of it. I can't imagine him playing beyond much more than that.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,529 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Though I think there is a big difference between a 6 sack and 3 sack player, sack count isn't all. Being in the 43 should allow him to play more in the backfield as a whole, whether it is a run or a pass, helping him to make more of an impact on every series. And, I think more pressures should just naturally result in more sacks, especially for an interior guy.

I guess its hard to measure the impact of playing in a 34 in terms of longevity. I suppose I don't really know that he won't be able to play another 4 more years. But he's 31 and shown signs of age and wear. I don't think he could have played another 4 eating double teams every play, but, in the 43, I think its far more realistic.
  15. WoodysGirl

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    I personally don't think sack numbers for a guy like Ratliff tell the whole story than what his pressure numbers have been or could be. I guess we'll find out for sure this year if all the theories over the years come to fruition.

I think he would've played that length of time regardless. The only question would've been whether he finishes his career in Dallas...without a paycut at the end.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,834 Messages
    7,562 Likes Received
    "*If*, and it's a big if, something good happens, then it will be an indictment of the good things that have happened before."

Is that pretty much the argument there? Because I'm not sure I'm buying it.

I will buy that Jay Ratliff, when healthy, is a DL who can be very successful in just about any system you put him in.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Wilcox was my favorite draft pick.

He was terrific in one-on-one drills against WRs at the Senior Bowl practices. He looked better than some CBs. To me, that is impressive for a 213 lb safety.
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    My issue with him isn't his talent, its his experience at the position at a time that we need more experienced guys. I do think he will probably be a future starter for this team simply cause we probably won't spend alot of resources on the position, but I am excited about his upside for the future.

Talentwise, he does seem to have it.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    I like the fact that the Cowboys are going young at some positions. IMO, one of the reasons that the team has not gotten better over the years is that they too often tried to "cover" themselves with veterans and didn't develop enough young players.

IMO, a non-playoff team should focus on maximizing the talent for the following season, not the season immediately after they didn't make the playoffs. That would require minimizing the number of 1-year stopgap veterans on the team.

Only playoff teams should consider themselves a few veteran players away from the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys should have just bitten the bullet and started Parnell over Free last season. If they were sitting here with Parnell having 16 starts under his belt, they would be in a much different situation. It is highly likely that Parnell with 16 starts would now be a much better player than Free. As it is now, Parnell might be better than Free but that is unproven. Now they have to carry Free and his 3.5M base salary on the roster instead of a young developing player as the 3rd OT.

I think the Safety position will be decent if everybody stays healthy. If some plays are going to be given up by the Safeties, I would prefer that it be due to youth/inexperience and not due to a middle-of-the-road at best veteran like Sensabaugh was last year.
  20. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

405 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I loved the JJ Wilcox pick as well. I believe him and Swearinger will be the best safeties coming out of this draft when the season ends

A lot of fans on here tried to use the lack of experience against Wilcox and the fact the he went to a small college but if you look at the tapes you can see the potential that this kid has on the field. I was sold on him during Senior Bowl as well, Kid looked hungry and wanting to prove himself among the rest of the big school players.