1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Bruce Carter still about three weeks away from being released for full contact

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,781 Messages
    7,128 Likes Received
    IRVING -- Cowboys linebacker Bruce Carter said he is still about three weeks away from being released for full-contact practice.

Carter, the second-round draft pick out of North Carolina, had said a few weeks ago that he expected to be fully released this week as the Cowboys prepared for their regular-season opener Sunday night at the New York Jets.

"That's what I thought. It's above me," Carter said. "It is what it is."

Regardless, Carter won't play in the Cowboys' first six games because he's on the reserve non-football injury list.

Carter said he's doing well and just trying to stay active while also doing mental reps in practices as he continues to learn Rob Ryan's scheme. He said he feels like he'll definitely be ready to contribute in the Cowboys' seventh game, which is a Sunday night game at Philadelphia on Oct. 30.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/cowboys-rookie-lb-bruce-carter.html
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,693 Messages
    2,016 Likes Received
    I look forward to getting him out there on the field. I know it has to suck for him, he feels he can go but trainers and coaches do not think he should at this stage.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,410 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    From what I've read the rules prevent him from practicing until wk 7.
  4. Doomsday101

75,693 Messages
    2,016 Likes Received
    A player who begins the regular season on the PUP list must sit out his team's first six games. After that point, a team has three weeks to start having the player practice; once the player begins practicing, the team has another three weeks to put the player on the active roster. If the player is not activated by that time, or if he does not begin practicing within that three week window, he must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season
  5. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,820 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    That'll be fun watching under the lights against Philly. For sure I will watch him closely.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No need to rush him. Give him a few extra weeks heal up.
  7. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spags said something the other day in response to a question about the linebackers, something to the effect of " what I've been told is that the LB corps will greatly improve once Carter gets on the field".

Maybe someone else heard this comment as well and can expand on what he said. He left the impression that he had been talking to tue coaches.
  8. Risen Star

20,781 Messages
    7,128 Likes Received
    Well considering he hasn't practiced a snap since he's been drafted, I'd chalk that up to wishful thinking.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,373 Messages
    2,101 Likes Received
    Yeah. Starting to practice in week 4 is a pretty steep learning curve.

If you think of the time he would have put into training camp, we're looking at maybe week 10 when he will be up to where the rest of the team is right now.
  10. Risen Star

20,781 Messages
    7,128 Likes Received
    Not to mention he'll be operating on a newly repaired knee.

Next year is when I hope to see some impact from Carter.
  11. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No more damaged goods picks in the 2nd round....
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They took a gamble on a first round talent in the 2nd round... that's not a bad thing...

Carter will eventually heal up, and the Boys will have themselves a bargain (unless, of course, he turns out to be not quite as good as advertised)...
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,410 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    I would do it every year if the player's outlook was good and he was considered quite a bit better than others on the board.
  14. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,463 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    You never know for sure but from what I have seen from the guy here in NC at UNC, Carter is an explosive player!

He needs to learn and be eased in since he missed so much time but trust me, this pick should be fruitful.
  15. Doomsday101

75,693 Messages
    2,016 Likes Received
    I agree. Carter will recover and is a very talented player not some project player. I do think the Cowboys will be able to ease him into the lineup this season even if it is only in certain packages at least until he has a better understanding of the defense
  16. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,857 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I have noticed the explosion. Have not noticed the physicality.
  17. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,785 Messages
    126 Likes Received

Hopefully, he can contribute in the nickle defense this year.
  18. Doomsday101

75,693 Messages
    2,016 Likes Received
    I don't think that is out of the question. I do think he can work on special teams where he has shown a knack as a punt blocker and as you said some nickle packages.
  19. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,608 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah we might have gone overboard with ILBs that can cover, cause I worry about both Lee and Carter being physical enough in the run game.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    Kind of early, don't you think?