1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: 2011 NFL Draft Rumors: Cowboys To Address O-Line Via Free Agency?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,183 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    2011 NFL Draft Rumors: Cowboys To Address O-Line Via Free Agency?
    by One.Cool.Customer

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...ors-cowboys-to-address-o-line-via-free-agency

A little over a week left before the draft and the rumors, speculations and other draft news are almost starting to come faster than we can keep track of.

There's a report out by Tony Pauline on draftinsider.net that the Cowboys are seriously considering signing a veteran free agent tackle and taking a defensive lineman with their first choice.

After the break, we look at what Tony Pauline wrote in detail, we look at how offensive rookie linemen have performed the last two years and who the available free agents could be.

Here's what Tony Puline wrote yesterday:

The Dallas Cowboys may deviate from taking Tyron Smith with the 9th pick if they can’t trade down. We hear the recent knee issues which have surfaced on the junior tackle from USC have not scared the team but they are also considering picking up a veteran free agent tackle, once free agency begins, then taking a defensive lineman with their first choice.

The thinking is a veteran free agent tackle could break into the starting line-up sooner than Smith, especially since the lockout will reduce every rookies time spent in mini-camp, OTA’s, etc. Sources have said the defensive lineman they are targeting is Cameron Jordan - in our minds the most underrated player in this draft. Ultimately they’d still prefer to trade down, collect some extra picks and then select an offensive tackle later in the first frame. The other team very high on Cameron Jordan at this point are the Washington Redskins...
  2. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,719 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    So, essentially the 'boys may not use a first round pick on an OL? Considering the recent draft history this isn't much more than an well educated guess IMO. I mean, it could be a rumor circulating. But it also sounds like recent draft strategy as well.
  3. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    if we can land a FA or two (especially DB and OL), i hope we trade down a bit (Rams at 14?) and still get a quality lineman (best OL or DL available)
  4. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,193 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    This is the best scenario IMO,,, the value seems to be @ DL in this draft and the Cowboys need help there as well as a good CB if Amakumura is still available.

Also, I would hope they are planning on signing FA offensive linemen regardless of who the first pick is...
  5. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,153 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I don't mind them trading down as long it's not for the sake of stockpiling late round picks ala 2009...
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,835 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    Dallas would be stupid to not at least consider this even though they truly need to draft an R1 OL.

The desired move imho is a trade down. When Jerry can't get a guy that will score TDs and sell jerseys he likes to move down.

And with this OL crop moving down makes tons of sense.

I like Tyron Smith's potential a heck of a lot but I'd rather have Carimi/Sherrod and Wisnewski as a tandem with the value of that 9th slot.
  7. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Dallas shouldn't take the short term view. Take the BPA. If they think they can get a better player at DE than OT then take him. Problem will be who will fill the RT spot?
  8. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Smith should be the choice as he is athletic enough to play LT long term and in case of injury.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,946 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    I getting a FA OL would be a smart thing to do I would still hope that Dallas will address the OL within the 1st 3 rds of the draft.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,183 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    This draft appears to be very strong in talent for offensive line, defensive line, and wide receivers in the top three rounds. Day One and Two should probably be conducted just there.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,666 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Whatever it takes ...
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no preference with how the Cowboys fill its need at OL (draft or FA), just that they do it with adequate players.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,835 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    Interesting takes you make there back to back. On one hand take the BPA on the other take the guy based upon potential. To me that says take the BPA 3 years from now but not today.

I'd refer you to Bob Sturm's thoughts on this as I agree with him. NFL teams with legit playoff hopes can not take BPA in round 1. They need to take the BPA that can fill a starting role. While you don't want lesser players you do want guys who fill the proper role on your team. A lesser player who is a better fit will perform better in many cases. The BPA at 9 is probably Julio Jones or Mark Ingram. Jones athletically, Ingram based upon football accomplishment an raw performance. I don't think we should really consider either at 9.

Now where I tend to end up in agreement with you is if you can not get a trade down for good value taking Smith at 9 may mean Best Available fit for Dallas.
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,183 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Interesting as well...for although this team has a high level of quality players, it is nowhere one spot only short of contention. BPA is still the tone of outlook.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I share this opinion as well. I think that the Cowboys have a window of opportunity for a championship and I think that we are in it now as I believe that Romo is at a point in his career where he has enough knowledge, combined with sufficient skill level and health level to compete for a championship. I think that 5 years from now, that situation will be different but as of right now, I agree with this take. The one thing I don't agree with is the selection at 9. If we can't trade out, and we intend to sign somebody in FA, then I think it might be wise to take the best player on our board that can project to a starter day one. Now, that still might be Smith but it could also be another player.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,835 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    I definitely buy the window theory. Our top 2 QBs are like 80 years old combined:)

But to me it goes beyond that. The contrite BPA theory really ignores everything. Should Dallas draft another TE? Another WR? A QB? I absolutely do not think so. Because no matter how good those players are someone has to line up at RT, DE and other spots.

In lower rounds you just take the best players and hope they have NFL caliber talent but in r1 everyone has NFL caliber talent so you want guys capable of achieving their potential and capable of actually playing for you.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    O line and Free Safety were our sore points; RT and FS could be ranked 1 and 1A for need. There is a top prospect right were we pick for RT and LT down the road. KISS

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,183 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Thank you...and the leaked photo of last year's board showed that the Cowboys DO use the BPA during the draft. But this year is a little challenging upon principals..without a CBA and free agency. :)
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,494 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    Not if the lockout doesn't end. Can't rely on free agency with a week to go until the draft.
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's a good article, but I think he missed the boat on one premise and I hope to god he's wrong on the second.

We may not have the dollars for a starting caliber offensive lineman. We absolutely can't pin our hopes to FA to upgrade the OL.

This idea that the labor issue should or will influence our draft strategy is concerning to me. I agree it does make some sense. A DL with little training camp has a much greater chance to make an impact than an OL.

We just can't have it. We can't afford it. We must address the OL for 2011 and beyond.

If it were I, I'd spend more draft resources in 2011 on the OL than any other team has in a single season since the draft's inception.

Trade down is the obvious play here.

Take our pick from 9 down to 22.

In an ideal scenario we drop from 9 to 14 and get a 3rd, 4th and 5th from the Rams.

Then we send 14 to the Colts for the 22nd and 54th.

Now we have:
    1(22)
    2(40)
    2(54)
    3(71)
    3(78)

We can fill a lot of holes, create a lot of competition and set up our OL rebuild over the next couple seasons.