1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Can The Dallas Cowboys Keep Laurent Robinson?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,109 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Can The Dallas Cowboys Keep Laurent Robinson?
    by Tom Ryle

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/1/4/2682596/dallas-cowboys-keep-laurent-robinson

In the midst of the sloppy and frustrating mess that was the 2011 season, the Dallas Cowboys still had some players emerge and provide us with hope for the future. Sean Lee showed he is a certified, Chuck Norris approved stud at linebacker. DeMarco Murray made many of us eat a bit of crow over whether he was a wasted draft pick. And Tyron Smith showed that a number one pick could be very wisely spent on a tackle.

Those were pretty much cases of high draft picks living up to expectations. But there was also one huge surprise, a late signing that wound up becoming far more valuable to the team than anyone could have predicted. Laurent Robinson came in, and with both Miles Austin and Dez Bryant fighting the injury bug, became the top target when Tony Romo wanted to put one in the end zone. His eleven TD receptions tied him for fourth in the league (third among wide receivers), and he was right there with Dez and Jason Witten for total yards as well.

With him joining Miles and Dez (it is hard to call him the third receiver given what he did), the Cowboys have a potent receiving corps, and the team can focus on other needs in the draft and free agency....

Wide receivers that catch 11 touchdown passes and go on the free agent market aren't a dime a dozen, and Robinson will command some pretty decent dollars from other NFL teams as a 26-year-old.

Conventional wisdom would say it's a no-brainer, the Cowboys need to do all they can to bring back Robinson, but can you afford to pay the kind of money he'll command for a guy that ideally would be your No. 3 receiver?...
  2. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    It seems like he was our #1 receiver for most of the season.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    I think Dallas should get him signed. I think too much talk of he is a #3 is a bit over board. In this league as we have seen guys get hurt Robinson is capable of playing more than just the 3 spot. Frankly he plays a lot of the 2 spot with Austin moving into the slot. We have 3 very good WR in a league that loves to pass why wouldn't I keep him? GB manages to keep 3 very good WR as does NO I see no reason why Dallas would do it differently
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,237 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    I don't know that he will command that much. He has been in the league and has bounced around. Smart teams will see this as a one year wonder than what he can do on a regular basis.

Plus, I'm sure he would prefer to stay here with a proven QB and a good offense.
  5. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,310 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    All it takes is one team to make his salary skyrocket to where it would be foolish to re-sign him.

Hopefully, no team will go too overboard and we can retain him at an acceptable price tag.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Looking at the list of WR FA next year I don't think anyone will over bid for Robinson. There are some pretty big names on that list that I think will get more attention
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Letting good young players that fall into your lap leave and resigning proven mediocrity like Anthony Spencer long term. Yep, that sounds about like a typical Cowboys offseason.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nonsense. Dez was the #1 wideout. Because of all the attention Dez got that really opened things up for Robinson. If Robinson faced double teams like most #1's do he would struggle because he doesn't get much separation. He's a very solid #3, but no way can he be a team's #1. I'd love to resign him, but not if it comes at an unreasonable price.
  9. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,848 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Could any of our finds like Lee, T. Smith, Murray, and Robinson be attributed to our GM? No way! He sucks. :rolleyes:
  10. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    I like Dez but he disappeared too often to be the #1 receiver. I'm tired of hearing how he's always double teamed. #1 receivers get free and make plays. Austin was hurt so he wasn't playing. I'd hate to think what our offense would have looked like without Robinson. I'm not saying he is a #1 receiver only that he played like our #1 receiver through a lot of the season.
  11. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All this talk about dissapearing and he was still nearly a 1,000 yard reciever. Pretty damn good for a 2nd year player.
  12. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trade Miles Austin (that is a pipe dream)

Sign Robert Meachem and Laurent Robinson and get two faster receivers.

Dez Bryant is allowed to become the true number 1, because he doesn't have two "favorite" targets in his way.

The Cowboys could have drafted Robert Meachem and in hindsight, they should have drafted him. That is who I wanted to draft.

Look at all the wasted money at WR.

Terrell Owens (second contract)

Roy E. Williams

O.k. Now, let's over pay Miles Austin based on our severe over-paying of one Roy E. Williams...

Here GM, GM...

By the way, another Tennessee WR went in the 5th round last year...Denarius Moore.

Hey, you ended up with Josh Thomas...

Oh, yeah...He's not here!
  13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Robinson is a must to retain IMO
  14. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,074 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Exactly. Especially the way this league is now you can never have enough good wideouts.
  15. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,708 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received

:starspin
  16. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    He might not command a high price in the open market. He has been in the league now for 5 years and really his first break out season. Teams will look at that as a red flag. He is not going to get number 1 WR money. Probably more in line for number 2 type payday. We should be able to match offers in that range. Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Robert Meachem and Wes Welker. That's a lot of receivers that will command top dollar in the market.

Hopefully he can go under the radar and the Cowboys could get a fair price for him.
  17. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,109 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    What about a team such as the Rams? They could come knocking on the door interested. With eleven TD's this year, he would at least look intrigueing.