1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB:Dallas Cowboys News: Tony Romo Debate Continues, Dez Bryant Will Play And More

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 16, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...ny-romo-debate-continues-dez-bryant-will-play
    by One.Cool.Customer on Sep 16, 2011 4:00 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys News

Troy Aikman: If it weren't for Romo, 'there would be no expectations' - SportsDayDFW
    Troy Aikman weighs in on the Tony Romo debate.

"Here’s the problem I have with the way people react to Tony: Tony’s the reason why the expectations are what they are. And if it weren’t for him, there would be no expectations. Yet when he plays great through three and a half quarters, the reason they’re in the game or leading the game is because Tony’s playing really great. And then you have a bad play that hurts your team, and they act like he’s the reason they lost. They don’t remember, "No, he’s the reason we were beating the team that we really had no expectations of beating." But that’s life as a quarterback in the NFL."
  2. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,071 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I must say I agree with Troy.
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Of course Troy is right, but haters are goin' to hate anyway.
  4. Trendnet

Trendnet Active Member

731 Messages
    35 Likes Received

Who should I listen to?

People like cowboyjoe or Troy Aikman.

Tough call.
  5. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I agree with Troy but at some point that QB has to stop making the mistake that takes his team from winning to losing. He has to start making the play that puts the game away instead of gives it away. If he can't do that, then you can't have faith in him that he will lead the team to a superbowl and without that faith, he may as well not be the QB. Is anyone really okay with just being a decent team year in and year out but with no chance to go deep in the playoffs because your QB keeps choking away big games? I know I'm not so for me Romo has to get over these mistakes or its time to move on.
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Last year, the Colt's playoff chance was on the line when a Cowboys team with a new interim coach and 36 year old backup quarterback came to their stadium and the great Peyton Manning threw 4 interceptions including two returned for touchdowns. It was a huge and important game for the Colts and Peyton Manning choked. I guess that means he sucks too by some Cowboys fans' standards-of-the-moment.

Every quarterback has at least 2-3 bad games (aka: chokes) each year .. even the Mannings and Bradys. The only difference is that some teams have a defense that can compensate for it in those games. The Cowboys do not .. at least not yet.

#reality
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    I see where Troy's coming from and from his point of view, he's correct.

But this is not an "either/or" argument.

In this case, it's both.

Romo was both the reason we were beating the Jets and the reason we lost.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I agree. Romo agrees I think where the debate ends up back to can Romo lead this team. In my view I think he can he has the skill and the ability to lead this team and like it or not these types of plays will come up and bite you from time to time as it has every QB out there.

I think much of this is what Dallas does and therefore what Romo does becomes magnified in the public view. Guys have shown Romo numbers vs top teams and late game performance and they are not bad but when he fails everything gets magnified and blown out of proportion.

I put this last game on Romo but I have not changed my views of his ability to help put this team over the top
  9. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Personally, I don't give a rip about any other QB and they are not the topic of discussion. What I said about Tony is still true no matter how many other QBs choke away big games. I love how people like you always want to add in words to other people posts. I never said Romo sucked but are you really okay with a QB still making rookie mistakes in his 6th year as starter? I said he has to get over making the mistakes that lose games. How can anyone argue with that? Do you contend thats its perfectly fine for a QB to make the two mistakes Romo made against the Jets? Romo is a hell of a QB but he will never lead the team anywhere if he still will make those types of mistakes at any given moment. Thats not really hard to understand is it?
  10. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I don't care about any other QB either but people use others to illustrate that he is no different than any other QB in the league. As for mistakes yes he has and what you call rookie mistakes are made even by vet QB's. I don't excuse the bad play by Romo but like it or not it happens and happens even to the best of them
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Aikman's synopsis is probably the best and most objective one I've heard of the matter.
  12. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Very well said!

#reality
  13. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I think what starts to separate guys is how they overcome it. Every player, every QB will make big mistakes in a game even Manning and Brady but they don't change as player and try to be ultra conservative to avoid mistakes you have to go out and take chances to make plays.

Once a guy is gun shy and his mind is on not making mistakes is when you start seeing QB waiting too long to get rid of the ball and shying away from putting the ball in tight spaces.

Of course you try to learn from mistakes but then you got to put it behind you and move on.
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    I think he can and I have little interest in any debate about replacing him. This team will go wherever they go because they have Romo at the helm. As was said, if they didn't have him, there wouldn't even be expectations.

The thing that has me concerned is that's twice now in a few weeks where I have seen a veteran quarterback - who I feel should know better - appear to make a throw directly into great coverage from great players. He threw directly to Chargers' safety in the preseason like he wasn't looking and then did the same with Revis Sunday Night. Can't have that.

I think if we have any chance of winning a championship with this current team, it has to include Romo.

But he has to clean up some sloppy tendencies if he's ever going to ascend to elite status in this league.
  15. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I agree with what you said and also this was Romo's 1st regular season game since being hurt.
  16. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    As I said I don't excuse him from a bad play, your right you can't do that as a QB. Will at some point it happen again? chances are yes but it happens to all. I can promise you there is not a QB out there who at times wishes they would not have thrown a certain pass that ended up getting picked.

Clearly those mistakes needed to be limited
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    It has nothing to do with hate. He's the quarterback and those are the ropes. The fact that he got us there doesn't mean it's okay to throw it away.

Some people are having a really hard time even admitting that Tony lose us the game.

It doesn't mean he hasn't won them, it doesn't mean he won't win more and it doesn't mean he didn't put us in position to win it in the first place.
  18. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Exactly.

High expectation of winning + loss = 0-1 record
    No expectation of winning + loss = 0-1 record

This is not an important part of the equation, expectations or no, the result is the same.
  19. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,148 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    I would venture to say that there has never been a game in the history of football where a team gave up a TD on a blocked punt, lost by 3 points, and where that team's QB was "the" reason they lost.
  20. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree Romo kept both teams in the game :p: