1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: BTB: Dallas Cowboys Sign Robert Callaway To Practice Squad

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,439 Messages
    2,057 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys Sign Robert Callaway To Practice Squad
    by KD Drummond on Sep 8, 2011 3:47 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys News

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...owboys-sign-robert-callaway-to-practice-squad

OK everybody, it's time to put away the lanterns, the watch can come to an end. DMN's Rainer Sabin reports that the Cowboys have filled the eighth and final practice squad slot by inking 23 year old defensive tackle Robert Callaway.

Callaway spent the 2010 season on the practice squad of the Detroit Lions, and was released this past Saturday as that team trimmed down to 53 players.

According to our SBNation brother site Pride of Detroit, Callaway had an outstanding preseason for the Lions in his second go-around with the team, recording a sack and a forced fumble....
  2. ejthedj

ejthedj Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Let's hope we found a gem here. He could be the plugger we need
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,101 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    well i heard he had a great camp for the lions but, as we know, the lions are deeeeeeeeppppp at DT so they had to let him go. Lets hope we found something.
  4. jjktkk

jjktkk Well-Known Member

1,747 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Love this move.
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,101 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    what your hear about him? please share, we need to know. I heard he had a good camp with the lions (hopefully he learned some things from Suh).
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice size, 6'5 and 325 lbs...
  7. Manster74

Manster74 Member

152 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    That's a full grown man right there
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah the Cowboys need a big wide NT...
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,774 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    What happened to Keenan Mace?
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,733 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone signed him after the supplemental draft. Poor kid got screwed over by the nfl, but he must not have the talent to make it anyway.
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Well-Known Member

1,747 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Nothing, other than what the OP posted. Just love the fact that the Boys found a nice DT prospect with size.
  12. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

4,732 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    Sounds good, maybe we luck out...that is a big boy!
  13. cowboystar55

cowboystar55 New Member

33 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Callaway at 6'5" & 315lbs (and only 23 yrs old) is exactly what the Cowboys need at NG in the very near future. I see him getting up to 325lbs or 330lbs within 4-6 weeks in Woicik's strength training program. The Lion's GM admitted that he had one of the best preseason's on the Defensive Line but they were too deep at his position to keep him. In nearly everyone's opinion, Callaway is going to be a freakin BEAST for Rob Ryan with his strength-size-quickness on our Defensive Line and will help this team immediately on 3rd and short or Goal Line. If a Defensive Starter goes down with an injury, I expect him to be called up immediately. He's probably as good (right now) as anyone that we've got on our Defensive Line including (30yr old) Jay Ratliff who's 6' 4" but light at 302lbs (although Jay's quick enough to demand double-teams on most plays). The Football gods continue to SMILE on JG!!!!
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

6,467 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    Would now be an appropriate time for me to say Championship?
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,058 Messages
    2,590 Likes Received
    you do not add good weight that fast unless you have not had a good weight training program. The Lions have a good one. If he did not add much weight in the 6 weeks he had with them it is not going to happen with us. Somehow people seem to think Woicik is some kind of miracle worker; he is not.
  16. cowboystar55

cowboystar55 New Member

33 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah, we ALL know about good weight. I was ONLY exaggerating to make a point. He's probably already at 325lbs and if he ATE a buffett of steak and potatoes and drank a gallon of water, he'd probably be 335lbs in one meal.
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  17. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,918 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Surprised someone didn't snatch him before us.

Austin Anthony | The Flint Journal Robert Callaway signs with Dallas Cowboys' practice squad.
    FLINT — Robert Callaway was not ready to work at an everyday 9-5 job.

He’d come too far.

Although his dreams were temporarily derailed in the Motor City, Callaway was confident he would receive another NFL job.

After an official workout with the Dallas Cowboys today, “America’s Team” extended Callaway a one-year deal to their practice squad.

He accepted the contract and will begin performing in team drills tomorrow.

“I was just staying mentally prepared. I was down for two days and I got a call from the Minnesota (Vikings) and I had a pretty good workout,” said Callaway. “Then the day after that Dallas called me and they worked me out and they signed me to the practice squad.”

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2011/09/flint_beechers_robert_callaway_1.html
  18. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Robert Callaway. He is the kid on the right, right? Not all THAT impressive. :D

Seriously though, unless he was pushed off by Suh, maybe we should settle down on expectations for a minute.

[IMG]
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,439 Messages
    2,057 Likes Received
    You handle pictures much better than reading words, huh....:D
  20. cowboystar55

cowboystar55 New Member

33 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Looks kinda impressive to me. Not much body fat on this guy except for gut. If he's only 23yrs old, he's got a ton of room to grow into that 6'5" frame. He may have elite quickness and measurables if Detroit tried to get him on their PS and Vikes and Boys sniffed around.