1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BTB: Do The Dallas Cowboys' Have The Mental Toughness To Win This Year?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,558 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Do The Dallas Cowboys' Have The Mental Toughness To Win This Year?
    by Tom Ryle

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...ryan-brandon-carr-kyle-wilber-new-york-giants

The great Yogi Berra once said "Ninety percent of this game is half mental". He was talking about baseball, of course, but the quote stands for any sport.

The Dallas Cowboys are headed to New Jersey to play the New York Giants, the team that finally knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs. Given that the victory by the Giants led to them hoisting another Lombardi Trophy (one day it will not hurt to say that - one day), that end to the season left a horribly bitter taste in the mouths of the Cowboys organization.

Last season, the Cowboys were a team that wore down repeatedly in the fourth quarter. While part of this may be attributed to conditioning, and addressed through more physical practices as Jason Garrett has tried to do, it can also be an issue with mental toughness. There is little question that Dallas at the least appeared to be soft last year. There were times when it seemed you could feel the games slipping away from them. A writer in New York even put up an article about the Giants owning the Cowboys.

"A little bit," Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz said when asked if the Giants own Dallas. "If we can just extend our play from last year the way we played against them - we got a pretty good beat on what they like to do. We just want to continue to play well, play the same way we've been playing and take it from there."...
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Their coach does.

Hopefully it rubs off.
  3. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    This is what I want to see this year. Do we still make the same dumb pre-snap penalties or can we finally run plays without the offense or defense jumping? Can we focus in the 4th quarter and make plays when they need to be made? Can we run off big gains and not look back for the yellow hanky because someone held? When we do that on a consistent basis then we will be mentally tough. I am looking forward to seeing what progress we make in this department this year. Let's get it started!!!!
  4. elcowboi

elcowboi Member

829 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    If they don't we'll be seeing them miss the playoffs again. It just seems like times are changing at Valley Ranch though.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,101 Messages
    4,023 Likes Received
    They do. Coach Garrett ordered a case of mental toughness, one of leadership, and a third of pixie-dust, so we should be covered.

Let's hope they just know their assignments and execute properly. Then, if they're talented enough, they'll look mentally tough because they win the games they have to win.
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    The players are saying the right things. But that doesn't make them mentally tough. Actions on the field does. And the Cowboys have been soft for years.

Will that change this year? Talk proves nothing. The answer to that question starts Wednesday night.
  7. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,081 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Mental toughness is how you respond when things are not going your way. There has been none of that on the defnese for the past I don't know how many years.

The offense keeps coming back no matter what from what I have seen but the defense just does not have that. I think Sean Lee has to change that and maybe the new guy Carr.