1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB:Federal Judge Denies Stay; Will Tonight's Draft Be AntiTrust Violation?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 28, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Federal Judge Denies Stay; Will Tonight's Draft Be AntiTrust Violation?
    by KD Drummond on Apr 28, 2011 7:45 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys News

[IMG]
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011...ay-will-tonights-draft-be-antitrust-violation

With a resonating 20 page ruling, Federal Judge Susan Nelson further strengthened the case of the players and denied a stay on the lockout injunction she granted on Monday. The original ruling was immediately met with the request for a stay while the NFL filed an appeal on the 86 page ruling laid down by Nelson. Nelson originally gave the players until Wednesday morning to respond to the stay request. The players came back and said that every second mattered, and they were incurring irreparable harm. Close to 10pm eastern, Judge Nelson denied the stay request and said the league is ordered to open for business immediately.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson said the NFL had fallen short in proving a stay was warranted and dismissed its argument that it is facing irreparable harm because of her decision to end the 45-day lockout.
  2. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They said this morning on Mike and Mike that the reason this draft is happening is that it was covered under the previous CBA. The 2011 draft is/was basically the very last league wide function covered by the previous CBA.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,413 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    No, but without a CBA this is the last Draft we ever have. Enjoy folks.
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    There were drafts in 1990, 1991 and 1992 without a union or CBA. It's not clear to me that things will end up being different this time.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep. Sad but true.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,413 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    Read Judge Nelson's ruling again.
  7. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Just did. Not sure which part you're referring to.
  8. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There will be a new CBA.
  9. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Honestly, no more NFL Draft? :banghead: If so, would it be smart to possibly trade future picks now to get some young impact players now?
  10. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    but if the NFL gets the circuit 8 judges to appeal her ruling, wont that affect everything, possible more lockout till new cba is signed? :banghead:
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,584 Likes Received
    I would rather the that happen then to go into the season without a CBA. To me it is not about 1 year of football but the future as well. I hope to see owners and players sit down and hammer out a deal that will cover the league for the next 5 or 6 years if not longer
  12. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-nfl-should-be-conducting-business-as-usual/

The court order is clear — the NFL should be conducting business as usual
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2011, 11:57 PM EDT

APEarlier tonight, I explained that the league’s flirtation with a finding of contempt of court has intensified in the wake of Judge Susan Nelson’s order denying the NFL’s request for a stay of the ruling lifting the lockout. After reading the full text of her latest written opinion, I need to revise that.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42780906/

All eyes on the 8th Circuit
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/28/all-eyes-on-the-8th-circuit/
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2011, 7:22 AM EDT
    The United States system of federal courts are divided into circuits. In all, there are 11 circuits (twelve if you include the fact that the District of Columbia has its own circuit).

The Eighth Circuit, headquartered in St. Louis, consists of seven states — including Minnesota. And the Eighth Circuit is the new focal point of the Tom Brady antitrust lawsuit.
  13. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    to me, what should be done is this
    1. Lockout the lawyers in court hearings
    2. Have only the players and owners there, even Goodell is not there
    3. Have some fans representing fan base there
    4. Have some retired players their with devastating injuries

Then, hammer out a deal behind locked doors and no one leaves till it is settled.

Have a judge with POWER that says, ok, you do this and if they dont give something up, makes that party pay for refusing, in other words come to agreeement for all parties, not just one side

Keep in mind that owners have to make money to stay in business, both parties shouldnt be so greedy with the 9 billion money issue, and if one party is, make them wish they hadnt.

Come to agreement for the fans, and specially the retired players that made the game what it is today. :starspin
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,584 Likes Received
    I'll agree with the owners and players but hell we can't get fans to agree in here on much why would I want an added problem in a deal between the owners and players
  15. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    i think the fans are ALL in agreement, we want football and a deal done, get it done, :star:
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ha! Excellent point! They should just let me in there. ;)
  17. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I would love to see or hear that Hos is in the room, he would in my estimation, make the players and owners feel ashamed what their doing to us the fans and the NFL :bow:
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The problem is that we all want football but some of us believe in the long term health of the league and others are more about the short term gain.

The players have said they want to start conducting business but also have said if they go back to using the terms they operated under last year, they would sue the league over that.

So while we all want football, Players want to play, owners want to play and the fans want them to play, it looks like the last football related thing we see for the near future is the draft tonight and this weekend.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,149 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Did the judge specify whether they were using the 2010 rules or what? Just saying league year should open without being more specific tells me that this judge is a total moron.