1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB:League Source: Cowboys Actively Shopping Mike Jenkins

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 27, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    League Source: Cowboys Actively Shopping Mike Jenkins
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...source-cowboys-actively-shopping-mike-jenkins
    by Dave Halprin on Apr 27, 2012 8:26 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft
    ProFootballTalk is confirming something many have been suspecting since the Dallas Cowboys made their move in the 2012 draft and jumped up to grab cornerback Morris Claiborne in the first round. Current starting cornerback Mike Jenkins is being actively shopped.

A league source tells PFT that the Cowboys are shopping Jenkins, and that the Cowboys are willing to move him during the 2012 draft. Jenkins has been a full-time starter since 2009. The first-round pick in 2008 is entering the final year of his rookie deal, at a base salary of slightly more than $1 million.

Why I certainly understand this move, I stop short of totally endorsing it. The Cowboys now have a fully-stocked secondary, with quality corners, and besides Carr, the price is not prohibitive. They could now withstand an injury to one of their top corners and still be in good shape. Of course, the flip-side to that argument is that you generally only play three corners, so one guy is going to be riding the pine unless injury does occur.
  2. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Dumb move if true. You're gonna get next to nothing for a very good corner who will help ALOT this season. The only reason I stop short of saying he's a great corner is that he seems a little fragile.
  3. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    How often do corners pull hamstrings ?? (TNew) ... keep him this year and let him go to FA.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think it's a little premature too based on what we've seen from his play. Yeah, he's been inconsistent, but he is young. You gotta wonder if he did something wrong.
  5. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    There are 2 guys ahead of him. You think he's going to have the disposition that can tolerate him to be the 3rd CB? I don't. I think he'll be nothing but trouble if they don't unload him.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The only problem with that is he is a good corner. We do have Scandrick, but what are the odds of 3 CBs staying healthy all year?
  7. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    If they can get a 2nd for him I am all in. Lot of guys I like in the 2nd. Silatolu, Lavonte David, Crick, Upshaw, Branch, Curry, Cam Johnson, Jerel Worthy.
  8. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Jenkins of Osi and a 5th........would ya?
  9. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'd take Jenkins for Osi straight up.

Two ways to look at it:

1) Get whatever you can for him because he isn't in the team's long term plans

2) Let him play out this year, he is in a contract year, so I doubt he totally tanks. Let him walk and see if you get a comp pick

I still think I'd try to move him.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,662 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    In a minute.
  11. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

285 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Jenkins for Osi straight up? sure... Jenkins for a 4th round, no way... we better keep him and we are gonna have a very good, young secondary.
  12. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,561 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    I'm in favor of keeping him but if the price is right I wouldn't mind a trade.
  13. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think I would. Why would NY want to do that?
  14. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I was just tossing around idea's while I try to figure out why the NFL has to wait till 7pm to start rounds 2 & 3.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,029 Messages
    2,260 Likes Received
    I wouldn't.

Jenkins would help them more than Osi would help us.
  16. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Yes I would trade him for Osi. I would also trade him for even a 3'rd if we could package that with a 4'th or even two 4'ths to get into the second again somehow without touching next years picks. If we could deal him and end up with picks this year in the second and third I would be thrilled.

Jenkins is going to probably sulk if he isnt starting. And I hope Claiborne is starting in his place.
  17. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

800 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    The fact that Jenkins is in the last year of his contract makes it likely that he will be a model football player this season, maybe even return to his rookie season greatness. I say keep him, unless you can get a second rounder for him, which I highly doubt.
  18. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Where does he play? I'd think it would have to be at OLB, as I can't see him adding enough weight to play DE in our scheme. Still, that kind of pass pressure would be hard to pass up on.

Don't think it has a chance of happening, though.
  19. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You can't trade that second 4th rounder, as it's a compensatory pick.
  20. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Letting people get home from work and get those primetime ratings.