1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: Looming Cowboys Cap Issues

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Nov 27, 2012.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,425 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    Rat's production has dwindled. He is tracking for zero sacks this year. I know sacks aren't everything, however, he is undersized and isn't in there for his run stuff capabilty.

Add to that he has missed half the season due to various nagging injuries going back to training camp -- which is exactly what you might expect for a very undersized 3-4 NT -- all the double-teams over the years by 650 lbs of guard & center every play have taken a heavy toll.

Of course, much of this was already apparent when Jerry, ever loyal, extended him with a excessive contract extension.
  2. ykc

ykc Active Member

589 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    And it makes the players loyal to Jerry not the HC...
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,230 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    I agree but I would rather save the little over 3 million and play him as a rotation player. WE need ever penny to help this team.
  4. supercowboy8

5,230 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    he could but I wouldn't want his production at any price. Miles, I would want back at a pay cut, he still produces and only missed one game so far this season.
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He would be a backup swing tackle at this point and yes i have seen worse backup swing tackles.
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received

I agree with you somewhat but something the OL doesn't have is depth especially at the OT position.

It's gonna be a hard decision for the folks at VR to figure this one out.
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,883 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    He has played most of the year but he has been nursing a hamstring injury all year as well. We are getting about a 60 or 70% Miles. For the money he is due next year, we need a 100% Miles.
  8. supercowboy8

5,230 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    True but even a 70% Austin is a top 16 WR. Before he missed the Washington game he was top 16 in yards.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Ratliff has took on an assortment of injuries this year, but he's been utterly dominant when on the field through the eyes of anyone who knows anything about football. Josh Brent gets exposed rather badly when asked to play extended snaps.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Wonder if Jerry is thinking something along the lines of Landry Jones in the second round this year, so he isnt on the hook for a mid 30's Romo at 10's of millions a year for the foreseeable future. Dont think it is far fetched. They liked Andy Dalton two years ago, and if the season ends with no playoffs, it will be harder to sell Romo to most of the fan base.
  11. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,025 Messages
    553 Likes Received
    No response - he must of returned to his seat in S;) ection 444.
  12. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,176 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    He won't respond. You can't just easily replace a qb.
  13. supercowboy8

5,230 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Sure toy can just ask Arizona, KC, and jacksonville, and Miami. I br they would love to have a Tony Romo
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is a super reach Jones is a 3rd to 4th round prospect at best. Big arm and talented but to many questions about getting it done in big games etc
  15. logan

logan Active Member

162 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Are Ware/Witten/Romo the only players who have lived up to their extensions? Every time Jerry gives someone a big money deal their career falls off the table. Both Roys, Newman, Hamilin, Flozell, Barber, Austin, Free, now probably Ratliff. So much wasted money..
  16. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,352 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Misread my bad.
  17. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Sure you can. We could have traded for RG3.
  18. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,127 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Who the Cowboys? The Cowboys didn't have a top 10 pick to give up to get RGIII.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

No, the hit on the salary cap hit accelerates, but Free doesn't get anymore money from the Cowboys.

Basically, Free's only negotation leverage is it hurts the Cowboys more against the cap to cut him than to keep him.

The Cowboys negotiation leverage is he'll never see the money he's getting in his current contract again, even if it's at a paycut, he's probably looking at a vet minimum contract to try out as a swing tackle for someone else next year, and Jerry probably doesn't want to pay $7 million a year for that kind of player regardless of the cap hit.
  20. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,441 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    How about drafting a QB, you know, a real QB? What a concept.:laugh2: