1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB:Talking Cowboys, Quinton Coples And The Draft With Draft Headquarters'

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Shawn Zobel
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...mark-barron-fletcher-cox-draft-headquartersby KD Drummond on Apr 17, 2012 11:00 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft
    His stock might be perceived as sliding, but Quinton Coples could end up in the perfect landing spot.
    [IMG]

Last year, I wrote a couple articles highlighting a young up and coming draftnik that has made a name for himself in the community. Shawn Zobel of DraftHeadquarters.com has averaged 10 correct exact picks over the past four years, outpacing both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, ESPN's darling duelers whom they pit against each other in faux competition on a daily basis.

Last season, Zobel was pretty keyed in on Dallas selecting T Tyron Smith, and gave a nod to the possibility that the only player they would consider trading up for would be Patrick Peterson. I've been keeping up with him amongst the more well known "experts" since last season, and decided to pick his brain for a second year in a row on Dallas' draft possibilities.

When Zobel released his latest mock last Monday, he had penciled in a sliding Quinton Coples from UNC to Dallas at #14 (DeCastro was selected at #11). Of course, this intrigued me to no end as Coples is probably my top target for the selection. The Cowboys haven't invited him in for a visit, as they have every first round pick for the last few seasons. Still, there is hope, as the marriage of need and value seems to match very well. Here's the Q&A with Zobel.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    no thank you to Coples. Last thing we need is another player that stops playing at a high level just because were losing. We need a leader, strong hearted player. Cooples doesn't fit a 3-4 to me. Not great vs the run or doubles.
  3. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I say roll the dice on all that natural ability and hope that everything works out for the best. Sure you can take the safer but the lesser talent, but the safe bet doesn't always work out as expected.
  4. RSM94

RSM94 Member

58 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Zobel's assessment of the Boys' needs is spot on. DL first round (perhaps Cox is the first choice here), OL second round, then CBs in the mid rounds. And a decent NT and/or C in mid-late rounds.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,851 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    The do need a JJ Watt type impact player on the D Line.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    At #14, take a chance on an elite pass rusher, I would. Provided that he didn't come across too badly in the interviews.
  7. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    That's quite a mock Zobel has got.

Ingram sliding to 18.
    Janoris Jenkins at 21.
    Fletcher Cox sliding to 25.
    New England gets Barron at 27.