1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

BTB: Tony Romo's Slump: Film Don't Lie

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Nov 14, 2013.

1. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me?

3,654 Messages
    891 Likes Received
    Good gosh people, go back to early last season, he had the almost the identical stretch, the difference, he's not throwing down field so there's no picks this year. However, there's also no scoring.
    dallasfan4lizife likes this.
  2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,615 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    I think fans have defended Romo so much from unwarranted criticism that they cant stop defending him even if the criticism is warranted. Fact of the matter the offense has been crappy and that criticism falls on Romo shoulders as much as The OC and THe Head Coach, as it should.
  3. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

3,073 Messages
    2,080 Likes Received
    I think people are just having knee jerk reactions to a down stretch of games. It's like some of you hope he has a bad game so you can come here and pounce on him saying we should move on, it's quiet comical actually.

Also, why do some of you act like Denver was his only good game? He played well against SD, STL, MIN, DET(when he wasn't pressured) and he played decent against NYG(*injured*) and KC(*injured*). If you look at how he's played objectively he's only had 2-3 bad games maximum, and even then they weren't down right stinkers except for the NO's game(still wasn't that bad). But for the most part our whole team sucked that game, it wasn't just the QB.
  4. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

3,584 Messages
    1,472 Likes Received
    That is a river in Egypt. You are a polyp on the colon of civilized society.

Where was this big talk week 6, were you still waiting for your testicles to drop? Funny how you chime in this week. You must really fancy your chances against the unstoppable Foles/Cooper combo.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

57,475 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    It's all on the defense this year.
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,582 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Romo just needs great protection, the best OLine in the history of the NFL to ensure that he NEVER gets touched once all season. You'll see...then he'll be the greatest ever!
  7. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,570 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Big talk ?

I made no predictions about that game. I was still disgusted after losing to the Eagles and Lions and that point. Two games they should have won.

No idea really what you mean by that.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,569 Messages
    2,825 Likes Received
    Romo hasn't played well since the Denver game. If he doesn't improve, the Cowboys are sunk.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

35,150 Messages
    11,757 Likes Received
    Do we really have to go from everything being good when we're winning to nothing being good when we're losing? Can't it just be that there are very specific reasons why we lose games, and it's not necessarily always the GM, HC, or QB? I know the QB is the most prominent position on the field. And I know the team will always perform better if the QB is able to play even better. But that's not the same thing as the QB position being the problem with the team right now.

Sometimes it really is something as simple as not being able to stop them on third downs.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  10. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,088 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    Three wrongs dont make a right.
    pjtoadie and Super_Kazuya like this.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

20,104 Messages
    10,347 Likes Received
    A lot of the missed opportunities are due to Romo going with his 1st read because he was getting pressure and wanted to get the ball out immediately.

Many of his missed throws are due to be overly conservative. He misses in the direction away from a possible INT.

Once the Cowboys are behind on the scoreboard, defenses can abandon playing the run and only play the pass. This makes it very difficult for the OLine which is already composed of 2 first time starters, a journeyman Guard and a RT that only played OK when he had a solid veteran RG (Waters) playing next to him.
  12. Idgit

35,150 Messages
    11,757 Likes Received
    I'm sure this is true if you say it, but I hadn't noticed it. It makes sense, and I'm ok with it, if that's what he's doing. I wonder if we'll see him taking more chances as a result of whatever adjustments they're making to address the third down conversion problem.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

20,104 Messages
    10,347 Likes Received
    It's a good way to start a game and a good way to play if the game is close; however, once they're significantly behind he's got to go back to just slinging it around.
  14. Idgit

35,150 Messages
    11,757 Likes Received
    He does this consciously, though, yeah, he's been reluctant to do it much this year. It's a big part of why he's got the reputation he's got for 'choking' in games where he's otherwise played well. I think you're right...we're going to start seeing more chances taken here in the stretch.
  15. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,747 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    Or convert a third down of our own.
  16. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

3,148 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Yea it's time to move on from a 21 Td 6 int 100 rating qb . He is the problem .
    time
  17. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

3,865 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    Youch.

"A polyp on the colon of civilized society"?

I could almost smell the words...
    BAZ likes this.
  18. Idgit

35,150 Messages
    11,757 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's a huge issue now, too. I actually deleted that sentence in my other post because I thought it would just cloud the point, and the 3rd down problem on offense has really gotten worse recently. It's definitely an issue, but I don't think it primarily is a Tony Romo thing.
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    If the QB is not seeing open recievers, that is a major problem and at the end of the day, it's unacceptable.

No matter how good his stats are, this is disturbing if it goes on very often.

This leads to stalled drives, 3 and outs, FG instead of TD's.

Those three lead to losses.

I have taken up for Romo many times on this board, but we can't have our QB not seeing open receivers. Which is totally different that seeing them and throwing to them, only to make a bad throw and miss them.

Not seeing the field well enough to find open receivers is low level QB'ing. I don't know how else to put it.
    dallasfan4lizife likes this.
  20. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

6,048 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received
    Romo hasn't been playing well but playing in this offense doesn't help either.

Look at the play above. Witten and Harris are both running towards a middle to a same spot at pretty much the same depth (3 yards difference). They are attracting defenders to the same area.

How many times have we seen this where we have two receivers near each other. Instead of having receivers clearing defenders, JG's plays bring defenders toward our players.