1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB: Tony Romo's Slump: Film Don't Lie

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,568 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    Different era now. You can't win championships with just defense nowadays. Gotta have great qb play in the playoffs. That's the difference
  2. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,370 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    It really doesn't matter who we draft at QB, because none of those prospects will be close to Romo's caliber, especially coming out of the draft right away. If we don't fix our surrounding pieces first, then the next QB who comes in, regardless of talent is just going to have a repeat of Romo's career, and it'll be wasted. I believe we need to build our team the way KC, SEA, and SF did. Build a solid supporting cast first, THEN find a QB. It seems to be working better then how all the other teams are doing it.

And also, measuring a QB by just playoffs is such a flawed system. If you're measuring only playoffs, then Tim Tebow has been better then Peyton Manning in Denver. Also, Peyton Manning is one of the worst QBs to ever play the game, just down right terrible. At least if were just measuring by playoff standards.
  3. TrailBlazer

1,568 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    He might not be Romo's caliber his rookie year. But maybe year two. Rookies don't seem to struggle as much in this pass happy era. Look at Wilson and luck and RGIII. Even kaepernick. It doesn't matter whether you build a supporting cast first or you get the qb first. As long as you get both pieces. It should work. If you have a qb, you have a chance to be successful. That's why you build a team around. If we don't get a qb were going to see a revolving door at that position. Another Ryan lead Anthony wright scenario.
  4. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Ok, sense you don't have any common sense I'll spell it out for you. ONE PLAYER DOESN'T WIN PLAYOFF GAMES! It's a team game.
  5. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,498 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    So the offense still sucked...
  6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,409 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I think you draft a qb when you can. If your in a situation where a high caliber prospect is available you draft him. I think it would be a mistake not to. And KC, Sea, and SF didnt build a team then go after a QB. They thought they there respective franchise QB's, in Alex Smith, Matt Cassel and to a much lesser degree Matt Flynn. All of them flamed out with the exception of Smiths last couple years with the 49ers. The point is they clearly tried to get the answer at qb first. Not nearly the way you put it.
  7. TrailBlazer

1,568 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter. I should've known you didn't get it. Maybe if I put it in all caps, like you did, you'll understand. ONE PLAYOFF WIN = NOT VERY SUCCESSFUL CAREER. Idc what excuses you try to make. He got plenty of opportunities. It might not be all his fault. But that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been very successful. And playoff wins do measure success.

He's the qb. Everything is predicated around h. He's gotta take some blame.
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Nobody said anything about taking some of the blame. Youre point was measuring QB's on playoff wins is all that counts. Which is naive if not ridiculous.
  9. TrailBlazer

1,568 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    So now you're trying to tell me what MY own point was. Wow.

My point was that playoff wins measures how successful a qb's career has been. If you have only won 1 playoff game for your entire career. That's not very successful. Period. It doesn't matter who's fault it is. Nothing naive about it.
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,409 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Dude... seriously. try to comprehend what im saying. The offensive system in Dallas is not great to say the least. Romo is part of that system. You can not bash the system for not producing then praise Romo. One reason the system has been so inconsistent is because Romo has been inconsistent this year and his completion percentage over the last 4 games has been awful. You cant blame Garrett for that. Thats on Romo. Garrett AND Romo and Callahan are all culpable for the struggles on offense.

And as far as the Kitna example. Thats just foolish. How can you use an example that replaces Romo with a lesser player then use that as prof the system doesn't work. o_O
  11. dstovall5

2,370 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Romo is still a top 6-8 QB in this league, chances our we're not going to find a QB no where near that caliber anytime soon.

I think your perception on those guys is warped. Those guys are protected by their coaches, defense, and running game. They don't have to throw the ball nearly as much, and in passes attempted this year Andrew Luck is ranked 17 (before last night's game), Russel Wilson is ranked 21st, and Colin Kaepernick is ranked 27th. In defense(points allowed) their teams are top notch in the league, Colts are ranked 10th, Seattle is ranked 3rd, and the 49ers are ranked 4th. Those teams are also in the top half of running the ball, the Colts are ranked 13th, Seattle is ranked 1st, and the 49ers are 4th.

All of those things are things Dallas doesn't do well, and far from it actually. We don't have a consistent running game(28th), nor do we have a good defense (23rd in points, and 32nd in passing). I promise you if you give those young-ins the defense/running game we have now, you'd be throwing them to the wolves. The one young QB that does have a similar situation to Dallas is RG3, and his team is doing pretty bad right now with a 3-6 record.

And that's why we're still in the playoff hunt come wk 16 and 17. Despite our terrible coaching, running game, and defense we're still in the mix at the end of schedule. But what if we had good coaching, a consistent running game, and a decent defense? Then we wouldn't need a top notch QB, but if we ever did get our hands on one then we'd be a superbowl contender.
  12. dstovall5

2,370 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    All those teams had a solid defense, running game, and coaching (except for KC) before their QB arrived. SF didn't think Alex Smith was their franchise QB, that's why when they had a chance to dump him they did. As for SEA in no way did they view Flynn as a franchise QB, they had a stout supporting cast, and they were just flipping tires on QB to see if they can find something. KC has actually had a very good team for the past couple years now, they just needed a QB who doesn't turn over the ball and a well respected coach to lead them. Now that they've gotten both they're 9-0 and are super bowl bound if Denver doesn't get in the way.

The point is they had a well built team all around, and no they didn't get their QB first. The QB was the last piece to the puzzle in all of those instances. And all of those teams have a very realistic chance of going to the super bowl now.
  13. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    ya, because joe flacco is legit.

<please note the intended sarcas>
  14. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,130 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    I agree. Romo has never really been accurate on the long ball. He overthrows open receivers way too much and leads them to wrong parts of the field. It's been a problem for awhile now. Even more so than when he first became the starter.

The time is now to start looking for his replacement. He's not going to get any better.
    Gorgeyhopper likes this.
  15. TrailBlazer

1,568 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    He played great in the playoffs when it really mattered so yes.
  16. Gorgeyhopper

Gorgeyhopper Member

111 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Some people refuse to acknowledge any indication of Romo regressing and will bring about any positive stats they can dig up. You can only blame everyone else for so long.
  17. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,409 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Really? Alex Smith was drafted first over all, literally all the 49ers star players were drafted after Alex Smith, the one exception being Frank Gore. Moreover, them want through like 4 coaching staffs before the current regime took over...

Matt Cassel was given 50 million, the team had some good players on it in 2009, most of their high draft picks before he got there were considered bust at the time.. ie.. Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey.. But they clearly viewed him as the Franchise QB thats why they gave them that money... And they had a very good team? they won 2 games last years

Matt Fly was given 3 year like 25 mill if i remember. Teams draft players that high or give them that much money if the dont think their franchise guys. But like i said, this was to a lesser degree, seeing as Seattle did in fact have good young players and good coaches.

So what are you talking about...

Why am i asking that questions you dont know what youre talking about..

What are you 16 years old or something...
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,636 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    Come on! We all know the main individual sports are Tennis, Golf, Bowling, and Football!
    dstovall5 and AmberBeer like this.
  19. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    It goes deeper than those 3, there have been a lot of drops and poor routes ran.
  20. pansophy

pansophy Member

77 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    3rd in TDs and 2nd in INTs - how well does Romo have to play in order for us to win?

Tom Brady threw a pick late in the 4th against Buffalo. Defense was able to hold and Brady got a 2nd chance and put together a scoring drive. That was classic 'Tom Brady' according to everybody.

Romo didn't get that 2nd chance against Denver but he did get another chance against Minnesota and got us a score. Same scenario but different perception.

I'm not sure how anybody can look at what our defense is doing and actually make an argument that Romo needs to play better. If you look at this objectively then Romo is the last person to look at.
    big dog cowboy and lostar2009 like this.