1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Building new PC.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by tupperware, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
  2. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,392 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm currently getting parts to rebuild mine as well.

I ordered the Cooler Master Storm Sniper a couple of weeks ago. I debated between it and the Scout that you are ordering. I went with the Sniper because it is a bit bigger than the Scout.

I believe the 6970 may indeed be too big for your case. I would check out the thread here dedicated to the Scout and see if it will fit. I personally have always had better luck with the Radeon cards.
  3. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Thanks. My E8400 and SLI'd 8800 GT's just aren't doing it any more after 3 years.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I say skip the i5 processor and go with a AMD X6 1090T Black Edition for about the same price. It's a straight up faster processor than the Intel i5 procs and you get six cores with the AMD X6 instead of four cores with the i5.
  5. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
  6. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,876 Messages
    11 Likes Received
  7. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  8. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    These are the new "Sandy Bridge" 2nd gen line of processors.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,840 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    It can potentially beat the older i7s in really heavily threaded apps, but the vast majority of things? Even the older i7s are faster.

Though, for the money, AMDs are hard to beat. I've got a Phenom II myself.
  10. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Prior to the new Intel CPU's I had one lined up to build with an X6 1090T BE.
  11. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hmm, they must have just released the i5 2500. I guess they aren't done releasing CPUs using their older cores. I guess they pawn off their old cores to compete with AMD on dollar per processing power level. Intel is like Apple with their newest cores. They overcharge for them and they aren't a whole lot better than AMDs offering and AMD sells them for sometimes as much as only 25% of what Intel sells their chips for.
  12. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think my next PC will be a Phenom II X6 or better. The minimal improvement that the newest Intel cores give you aren't worth the extra money they cost for me at least. Then again, I do not do video processing on a daily bases either. It will run Diablo III just as well as any Intel proc will when it comes out too. (providing your video card can handle the game)
  13. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,392 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm ordering the Phenom II X4 965 BE. I don't really have the need for 6 cores yet but the motherboard I'm getting will support it later. The X4 is way cheaper right now too.
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not sure anyone who isn't doing large compiles, running a big DB, or professional video editing really uses six cores today. :)
  15. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Intel has almost always been more expensive, but in this case, this is a CPU that clearly outperforms the 1090T BE and is actually the same price. The one thing I hate about intel is they don't seem to ever stick with an architecture long. Then your motherboard is outdated and you wind up needing a new one.
  16. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Do they still attach the CPU fan the same way? I have the E6600 Core Duo and the design that the fans use to attach to the CPU/MB SUCK. The plastic is cheap and it doesn't hold the CPU on very well. If my kids bump my PC, I have to worry about the fan coming lose, overheating and freezing up. I MUCH preferred the clamps they used to use. The fan wasn't going to come off unless you took it off.

Not sure how the AMDs are held in place.
  17. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    Good choice going Sandy Bridge. Questions I have. Do you SLI or Crossfire Cards? If yes you might want to go with a motherboard with an NF200 chip. THIS will allow you to use two pcie x16 slots. Your mobo will split the lanes if you use two. I was going to buy this but it sold out the first day LOL:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=lga_1155_motherboard-_-13-131-692-_-Product

I was thinking about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=lga_1155_motherboard-_-13-128-465-_-Product

The PCI slots are still important to me and sandy bridge does not natively support it. You'll have to buy a higher end motherboard to get it. I have a sound card that uses a PCI slot.

Also, if you have a microcenter near you you can get the i5 2500k for cheaper than newegg. And yes, get the K version since it's unlocked for overclocking.

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index.html

Here is a GPU hierarchy to help you: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-7.html

I would go with an Nvidia card since I've owned multiple cards in the past. You won't have to deal with the ati/amd driver bull**** problems.
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    And of course the other alternative is wait for Ivy Bridge which may be released at the end of this year. I believe its on the 22 nm manufacturing process and it's supposed to be an enthusiast level chip as if Sandy Bridge isn't good enough. :laugh1:
  19. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I don't plan to SLI/Crossfire for the time being. I'll likely go NVIDIA as I have in the past, haven't owned an ATI/AMD but I hear they have a lot of driver issues. I've been a 3DFX :) NVIDIA guy.
  20. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Naw, too much dough and too far off. I've debated waiting to see how the Bulldozer situation pans out and what price cuts would result but I've waited long enough. 3 Years is longer than I typically like to wait, but you can't do jack with LGA775 and DDR2 is fading fast so I've got to start from the ground up.