1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bull Fights

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by muck4doo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Just watched a video of bull fights in Spain and Mexico. I won't link it here because of the gore. I know this site frowns on political things, but how can anyone support this? I find it downright barbaric. I know some argue that football is barbaric, but seeing the two sports compared to each other, there is no comparison. One is a sport of men trying to accomplish touch downs or prevent them, the other is taunting an animal to eventually kill it to the cheers of the crowd. It's very Roman games like.
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I love it when the Bull gets to gore those idiots.

[IMG]
  3. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Where is the "like" button?
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,550 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Bugs trashed that bull...........The 'ol anvil behind the cape trick. :D
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm with you guys. It's downright medieval. They say its part of their culture, but a lot of things were part of people's cultures that we don't do anymore - like slavery or marrying off young children to secure political ties.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    it says something about a culture that refuses to put this in the dustbin of history
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is not all bad. The bull is used to feed the poor. I know a lady from Madrid, and she is very proud of her countries bull fights. I would like to attend a fight before making judgement.
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The Bull got in his shots too...:D

[IMG]
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,533 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I tink they taunt the bull by stabbing it with spears as the matador continues to evade the bull.

I agree with the sentiment that the sport is barbaric. I know I would be against it being done in my country. It is up to the people of Mexico and Spain to decide how they wish to treat animals in their own country but I do think it is a bit of a mark against them in the international community.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think the US is bothered a little more than most countries with these types of things. I guess I am numb to a good bit of it myself. Being raised around a good many small farms, I wasn't shielded from the rough side of animal-human relationships. That is the nicest way that I could say that without getting graphic.

Many countries have blood sports as entertainment. It is just part of their culture. I can respect that.
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,603 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    It is barbaric. I've been to one. It is such a major iconic thing in Spanish society though, I can't see how they would ever get rid of it.

Of course they likely look at many of our practices in the same manner.
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Aren't the matadors like Gods over there?

I think it is terrible but as I am often told here, who am I to tell another country what they should do.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You also routinely like to play the equivalence game in the matter of who defines morals, so you really have no ground to stand on when stating something is terrible. Herded in to an abattoir and hit with a mallet or toyed with and given a fighting chance before ending up on the plate, what's the difference?
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Very good point. The end result is the same, steaks.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    You know what I mean. When I discuss laws in the US, I am told to shut my piehole because it doesn't concern me.

Bull fighting and the law allowing bull fighting has no effect on you nor is it being performed in the US so should you all not shut your pie holes given it doesn't concern you?
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Kill a bull, tell a Canadian to mind his own business, it's all the same.

When you discuss morals you dismiss a definitive code of morals, claiming all are subject to the view point of the individual. This takes any sort of protest against either bull fighting or how you're treated out of your mouth.

To each his own, no?
  17. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Torture?

Barbaric sport if you can call it a sport. I have no time for it.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    You wanting to change the law about allowing bull fights is no different than when I say a US law should change. The subject might be different but the issue is the same. Someone in another country telling another how they should govern.

Now if you are ok with furriners telling you how the US should be governed or what laws you should have on the books, then great, but if you aren't and would be upset with a Mexican or a Spaniard complaining about one of your laws, then you are being hypocritical n'est ce pas?
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't want to change a law about bullfighting; I'm not offended by it nor bothered. I was busting your chops for being a moral equivalest... if that's even a word.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    There's slaughter and there's torture. I don't know a farmer in the world who gets off on torturing his livestock.