1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Buntings latest mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,850 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Bettter chance than first believed Coples lasts till 14. UNC coaching staff did not give him a ringing endorsement. Yes the Cowboys are said to be very interested.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    God I hope not. Another player with "potential". We've had enough of them.

Coples has no heart and no motor. LAZY, LAZY, LAZY.
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Not sure it matters. If he goes in the first round, he'll sign a 4-year deal, based on where he was drafted. During that time, if teams consider him more of a safety than a CB (ala Antrelle Rolle, Malcolm Jenkins), then he'll be signed/resigned as a safety.
  4. Picksix

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Well, I imagine they'll interview him extensively, like the did with Dez. If they don't like what they hear, they won't take him.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Or like Bennett, Stanback, Jason Williams to name a few.

Would much rather have Fletcher Cox.
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    A top 20 safety needs to show some playmaking (interception) ability. Playing the ball in the air is probably the worst part of Kirkpatrick's game.
  7. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I don't think they signed Carr to turn around and use a 1st on another CB..mid round? Yes but not a 1st
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That probably doesn't endear you to your college coaches.

Considering Brian Baker was the D Line coach at UNC, even if it was just for a little bit, I can't believe he wouldn't have some insight just from being in the building and getting input while evaluating him from the existing staff.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    This is no endorsement of Coples, but those other guys were FAR greater risk projects that Coples. None were 1st rounders and only Bennett went in the 2nd.
    I just pulled up a dozen straight mocks that have Coples in the top 10...not a single one did not.

Anyway, I would say his risk level is much, much lower.

Update...make that 26 mocks in a row--all different sources...still no Coples out of the top 10.
  10. Picksix

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Touche'.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Really, that means very little to me. Most of these guys have no real insight into where these players are rated on team's boards (for one thing, teams are just now forming their boards) and are just repeating each other. You're just getting the reverberations of the internet amateur draft dork echo chamber of circular opinions.

If I had to guess Coples goes to Carolina at #9 because they need a DE and he's a hometown kid, but would it surprise me to see him fall? Absolutely not. He's coming off a poor year and there's a lot of smoke about him being selfish and lazy. He doesn't exactly have a stellar resume for a sure fire Top 10 pick.
  12. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you are referencing me, let me help clarify: there is no one worth us taking at 3-4 OLB at 14. Maybe some other team wants to because they have a glaring need. But I cannot fathom taking using the 14th pick on a SOLB when the person we draft will not improve this team and provide--at best--some salary cap relief. Seems like a giant waste of a 14th pick. If we use that 14th pick on the lines, we will actually have a better team on the field next year.

There are guys worth taking for 3-4 DE at 14 because they are among the BPAs and would be an improvement for us. And, really, any 3-4 d-lineman is of equal value because taking a NT allows us to improve DE by bumping Ratliff over.

I would take a long look at Cox, Brockers, Poe, and Coples. Think they would all improve this team. As would DeCastro or Glenn.

Seems to me to be infinitely smarter to keep Spencer, draft one of those 6, and then take a guy like Jarvis Jones or Sam Montgomery next year to replace Spencer.
  13. DFWJC

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Just pointing it out. Nothing more or less.
    And yes, a lot of those people copy each other. The list does include all of the guys that we see on draft day though--fwiw.

You have to admit that 26 straight mocks (whether any single one on it's own is legit or not) is a bit a trend.

And where do you get that he is coming off a poor year? He led the team in sacks and they even moved him inside to cover for players missing to to suspension.

He could fall, like I said in an earlier post, but there are certainly three very logical teams that could go after him in the top 10: Jacksonville, Carolina, Buffalo
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Maybe because he admits NFL Teams have been hounding him about it at the Combine and Senior Bowl?

"But as was the case at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine, Copes likely will be asked to address the perception he gave less than 100 percent at times last fall, when his sack total fell from 10 in 2010 to 7.5. It has become the dominant storyline surrounding Coples, regarded as the top defensive end in the draft and a potential target for the Panthers when they pick ninth. “It doesn’t get to me at all,” Coples said of concerns about his effort level. “It’s pretty much the only question they have. Anything outside of that, they really don’t have anything to ask. I don’t have any regrets with what happened. I just take it for what it is and move forward.”
  15. DFWJC

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Perception.
    Until it is pointed out that he played DT instead of DE for much of the year.
    Then question answered...of course sacks went down by a couple.

I think he did slack off on some plays, but I'm not sure his overall year was worse last year, though it may have been percevied to be based on his DE stats the year before.