1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Calais Campbell - DE

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Nors, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
    Name: Calais Campbell
    College: Miami Number: 81
    Height: 6-8 Weight: 282
    Position: DE Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: rJr/2009
    40 Time: 4.85 40 Low: 4.73 40 High: 4.89
    Projected Round: 1 Stock:
    Rated number 4 out of 122 DE's 20 / 1639 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results
    Combine Invite:
    Height: 6076
    Weight: 282
    40 Yrd Dash:
    20 Yrd Dash:
    10 Yrd Dash:
    Wonderlic: The U

Draft Scout Snapshot: 12 GP; 12 GS; 84 TT, 20.5 TFL, 10.5 SK, 4 PBU, 17 QBH, 3 FF in '06; Named first-team All-ACC after the finest year of any Miami defender. 12 GP; 1 GS; 35 TT, 5.5 TFL, 2.5 SK, 8 PBU, 8 QBH, 1 FF; Redshirt freshman who played in all 12 games as a backup defensive end, making one start in '05. Redshirted in '04. Has a brother, Ciare, who plays football at Colorado State, and another brother, Raj, who plays football at Butte Junior College in California.

Overview

Tall and extremely gifted pass-rushing defensive end who was one of the team's top reserves on the defensive line as a redshirt freshman in 2005...Team's tallest player was recruited as a tight end/defensive end before settling on the defensive line...Is expected to be a top pass rusher in 2006...Has drive and athletic ability to go with a startling burst of speed...Has quick hands and feet...Sociology major.

Analysis

Blessed with a combination of burst off the snap and a shocking wingspan, Campbell is earning comparisons to Hall of Fame end Ed "Too Tall" Jones for his ability to wreak havoc as both a run and pass defender. A First Team ACC choice as a sophomore, Campbell finished third in the conference with 10.5 sacks in 2006 and is repeating this success in 2007 despite battling constant double-teams.

2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

45,357 Messages
    3,853 Likes Received
    He'll likely return for his senior season. He was a top 5 or so pick before the season, but he's fallen considerably all season. I personally don't think he's much of a prospect. He's just very athletic, even for his size.

But why even discuss him here? There's about -5.0% chance we'd draft him in the first.

3. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    or any other DL

it just isnt a need

I'd say there is very little chance we're drafting a DL, LB, TE, QB or FB with any of first day picks...and if they resign Hamlin, probably arnt drafting any safeties on the first day either

David

4. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have had this same discussion at LB and TE for recent years. Stockpiling Talent is a GREAT thing. Dline is a rotation game.

I dismiss nothing.

5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

12,707 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    so what you are saying is we wont be making a play for Ryan from BC?

6. Bobo

Bobo New Member

911 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's a little news clipping, but of course things sometimes change between now and the deadline (if this is even true). I wasn't that impressed with him this year, but I wish I would have seen more of him last year when he was pretty dominant statistically.

7. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    sadly Too Tall is not in the HOF